PDA

View Full Version : SE DSG or Sport Manual (140/170)

Hugh Jend
30-01-2012, 11:20 AM
Hi,
My latest car list has options for either of the above (alas not a Sport DSG)..( I currently have a 2.0 highline on a 08 plate).

My choices are

1) SE 140 DSG in Saloon or Estate
2) Sport in 140/170 for both..but no DSG

I have a decent satnav (TT Live)...so which should I go for?
The DSG box looks great- but the tax is higher than the manual..and it's 'only' 140BHP

The Estate is better looking IMO than the Saloon...

At times, it wouild be simpler if I had to only chioose the colour!

any advice would be appreciated!

Thanks

bertj
30-01-2012, 06:28 PM
I've got a DSG SE 140bhp saloon. It's incredibly smooth and comfortable; the dsg box IMO is brilliant, no jerking or hesitation that used to be present in older dsg boxes. If you really want to change gear manually there's paddles on the steering wheel but I can't see the point. There's no way you could change gear as quickly using a manual box. If you floor the accelerator the 'take off' is extremely rapid especially if using sport mode. There's no way I would ever go back to a conventional gearbox. Fuel consumption doesn't seem to suffer either; I'm getting about 45mpg in mixed driving. You really need to drive a 140bhp dsg to appreciate it. The blue motion technology stop/start system also works very well with the dsg box; no messing around with a clutch when the engine stops with your foot on the brake (at traffic lights etc.) and immediately starts when you take your foot off the brake. I drove a 170bhp dsg Sport but, TBH I didn't think much of it as the ride was quite harsh compared to the 140bhp SE.
I agree that the estate looks better than the saloon but I got a much better px deal for a saloon that was in stock rather than wait 12 weeks for an estate. The boot on the saloon is enormous with a large opening and the back seats fold down so there's no real problem except if you need to slide large objects (i.e. heavy IKEA flat packs!) into the boot.
As you obviously know, don't even consider a built in satnav as they are extremely expensive rubbish.

Daveya.
30-01-2012, 07:18 PM
Ive just moved from a 140 DSG Golf, it's a great combo, loved it. The 140 in the Pasatt is geared differently so doesn't feel as eager, I now have the Pasatt saloon manual sport, no DSG, I had exactly the same choice as you. I just wanted the toys in the Sport

Hugh Jend
31-01-2012, 06:17 PM
I've got a DSG SE 140bhp saloon. It's incredibly smooth and comfortable; the dsg box IMO is brilliant, no jerking or hesitation that used to be present in older dsg boxes. If you really want to change gear manually there's paddles on the steering wheel but I can't see the point. There's no way you could change gear as quickly using a manual box. If you floor the accelerator the 'take off' is extremely rapid especially if using sport mode. There's no way I would ever go back to a conventional gearbox. Fuel consumption doesn't seem to suffer either; I'm getting about 45mpg in mixed driving. You really need to drive a 140bhp dsg to appreciate it. The blue motion technology stop/start system also works very well with the dsg box; no messing around with a clutch when the engine stops with your foot on the brake (at traffic lights etc.) and immediately starts when you take your foot off the brake. I drove a 170bhp dsg Sport but, TBH I didn't think much of it as the ride was quite harsh compared to the 140bhp SE.
I agree that the estate looks better than the saloon but I got a much better px deal for a saloon that was in stock rather than wait 12 weeks for an estate. The boot on the saloon is enormous with a large opening and the back seats fold down so there's no real problem except if you need to slide large objects (i.e. heavy IKEA flat packs!) into the boot.
As you obviously know, don't even consider a built in satnav as they are extremely expensive rubbish.

Hi..and thank you for the detailed response.
I've organised a 7 day test drive of a 140 DSG (estate).
The Sport seems a bit more 'complete', the Mrs loves the seats (very similar to an SRi I had some years back).... but has now decided that the saloon is the prettier than the estate.
I all honesty, I do now agree..... the brochures and the site do little to favour the saloon.
However, as I'm sort of classing the DSG as a compromise (the CO2 figures and MPG will hit me in the pocket, compared to the 170 Sport)...so the estate may be the choice!

You can see just how bloody confused I am with this.....hopefully the test drive will sort that!

Hugh Jend
31-01-2012, 06:20 PM
Ive just moved from a 140 DSG Golf, it's a great combo, loved it. The 140 in the Pasatt is geared differently so doesn't feel as eager, I now have the Pasatt saloon manual sport, no DSG, I had exactly the same choice as you. I just wanted the toys in the Sport

The toys are quite nice...but I have a decent satnav and a Pure Highway DAB (though the SE also has DAB).....

Still, at least I don't have to have an Insigificant....

Daveya.
31-01-2012, 09:29 PM
Yep, the Sport with lowered suspension looks great, and the Sports seats are superb, it's a great car. But the DSG is an awesome gearbox, it's a tough choice.

Hugh Jend
01-02-2012, 07:44 PM
Yep, the Sport with lowered suspension looks great, and the Sports seats are superb, it's a great car. But the DSG is an awesome gearbox, it's a tough choice.

...but not so tough to push me towards an Insignificant...nor a BM I reckon.

taking everything into consideration, the SE DSG will cost me roughly £800 pa (tax etc) whereas the Sport Estate will come in at around £420.....and a BM Tourer (exclusive) at £460.
Sure, the BM badge may have a touch more Kudos...but I want people to let me out of junctions.!!

Daveya.
01-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Yep, the BIK was the reason I went for the manual BMT 2.0

Hugh Jend
02-02-2012, 09:17 PM
Yep, the BIK was the reason I went for the manual BMT 2.0

Mmmm...well...I driven the Mrs up the wall already on this.
I 'configured' a 318d tourer with the leather (foc).
It looks bloody awesome..but the thing run on run flats.
Also, cruise is an option..but metallic is 'foc'.

Let's see how the test drive pans out...but the 170 estate, in 'grey' is still looking to be favourite.

tr8
04-02-2012, 05:30 PM
I test drove the BMW 3 tourer,No spare was a great issue to me, run flat are ok if the puncture happens uk day time. one in our company had one in South of France on his Hols, was off the road for 2 days as no tyres available. V70 big and guttless, C class estate we have had lots of reliability issues in our fleet with them, and no spare. Ended up with another Passat estate. B7 is better than B6 you can park it anywhere and wont get it keyed, if you can have the led lights they make it stand out better. touch Dab radio works great.

bertj
04-02-2012, 07:35 PM
One very good point about the Passat is that it has a full size alloy spare; no messing around with a space saver or punture repair goo. I was put off a BMW 3 Tourer by the run flats. The salesman pointed out that they could provide insurance for 3 years in case a run flat had to be replaced. I think you were 'allowed' two claims - the insurance only cost £300! :biglaugh:

Hugh Jend
04-02-2012, 09:24 PM
I test drove the BMW 3 tourer,No spare was a great issue to me, run flat are ok if the puncture happens uk day time. one in our company had one in South of France on his Hols, was off the road for 2 days as no tyres available. V70 big and guttless, C class estate we have had lots of reliability issues in our fleet with them, and no spare. Ended up with another Passat estate. B7 is better than B6 you can park it anywhere and wont get it keyed, if you can have the led lights they make it stand out better. touch Dab radio works great.

You know, it can be hard enough getting hold of the correct tyres (fleet choice) for the current Passat...I'd not considered what a pig run flats would be.
I've never had the current one keyed, to be honest- but I've never had a car keyed yet.
As for the DAB..I have a Pure Highway at the minute- but the antennae is a bit hit and miss...also I lose signal when charging the blackberry!
I'll put the DAB in my office... if/MORE LIKELY WHEN I get the passat.

Cheers for the reply!

Hugh Jend
04-02-2012, 09:27 PM
One very good point about the Passat is that it has a full size alloy spare; no messing around with a space saver or punture repair goo. I was put off a BMW 3 Tourer by the run flats. The salesman pointed out that they could provide insurance for 3 years in case a run flat had to be replaced. I think you were 'allowed' two claims - the insurance only cost £300! :biglaugh:

yep it is a moot point.
I was checking through What Car? and they have the BM to be bigger in the rear passenger compartment than the BM.
I didn't believe that for one minute- so checked on the VW site.
It does seem that BM 'cheat' by measuring from the back of the seat....

thanks for the reply!