PDA

View Full Version : Clear engine access

wblatchley
26-07-2007, 03:58 PM
Hello,

I'm new to T4s, having had T25s up to now. I have a syncro 2.5l diesel now, with intercooler.

I'm wondering if people have any general advice on getting as much access as possible to the engine with the minimum amount of fuss. I know the radiator grill pops forwards with the removal of six bolts, but is there anything else that can be easily moved aside / removed to give better visability of the block and cylinder head without draining coolant, etc.?

Thanks in advance,

Will

Freshup
28-07-2007, 05:38 AM
Apart from removing intercoooler if top mounted, I don't think so.

wblatchley
28-07-2007, 08:03 AM
Hi freshup,

Thanks for the reply. Are there any special precautions I should be aware of when removing / replacing the intercooler? And can you recommend a good workshop manual for the T4?

Thanks,

Will

Freshup
28-07-2007, 08:43 AM
Hi Will,
I assume your cooler is top mounted. Nothing special except watch hoses are not clamped under tension i.e. twisted etc and seal tight (no airleaks).
I'm not sure about availability of aftermarket manuals, I subscribe (quite expensive) to https://erwin.volkswagen.de . They offer genuine VW workshop manuals for every model. The only drawback is each vehicle has a multitude of manuals for different parts (engine, gearbox, fuel system etc.) each with own annual fee. The plus is always up to date and specific to your exact vehicle.
Regards
John

wblatchley
28-07-2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks again for the reply.

The intercooler is an air-to-air job, right? In other words, there's no coolant to leak out if I undo the hoses to it. I know some intercoolers use a liquid-to-air heat exchanger, that's all. I wouldn't want to have to refill the thing every time I took it off!

Cheers,

Will

Freshup
28-07-2007, 07:28 PM
Correct. Air to Air.

wblatchley
29-07-2007, 11:30 AM
Thanks for all your help recently. Wish I could reciprocate, but there's clearly not much I could teach you!!! Cheers.

Freshup
29-07-2007, 09:47 PM
No sweat. I learn heaps from this forum everyday. Suppose I'm hooked.