PDA

View Full Version : What tyres?

Pamchico
28-01-2012, 08:04 AM
My 2006 tdi sportback is currently running on Avon zx5 which I have no complaints about. They were fitted for £93 each.
Does anyone know of any better options, the car isnt driven particularly hard, mainly a daily 30 mile round trip to work.
Whats the opinion on the budget tyres, my local tyre place suggested accelera I think:confused:

Brian Lloyd
28-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Search around for a better price and stick with the Avons. I got over 23,000 miles on my first set of 205/55 16's and have just replaced all 4 for £289-. Very good all round tyre.

alankru
29-01-2012, 01:43 AM
I would never touch Budget tyres based upon my experience of them. On my previous car they weren't good in the wet and usually always got wheelspin when accelerating out of junctions when the road was wet. On my A3 I had some budgets on the front wheels and I experienced the same problem with wheelspin in the wet. However, what was more concerning, in some ways, was that my ABS would usually kick in when I braked hard (even in the dry). I now have a set of Uniroyal Rain Sport 2 tyres on my A3 and I do not have any such problems. The handling and braking has noticeably improved. They are "rain tyres", but a good all round mid-range tyres which are a Which? best buy. I paid £78 each, online. I would recommend that you find your tyre online and get it fitted locally.

Brycie
29-01-2012, 03:35 AM
Personally I'd rather get a set of part worn premiums than buy budget or even mid-range, but that's just my personal preference. I did a bit of shopping around & haggling at some local tyre yards & found one that will supply & fit Continental Sport Contact 2 for £30 a tyre - fitted (normally £140-£150c plus fitting). Honestly when looking at them there's enough tread on them that they could be brand new, so it's worth trying. I highly recommend the Conti Sport Contact 2 as they're good & grippy, but I'm looking to get some Michelin PS3 when I take my winters off in a couple of months as they get a really good write up from those that have used them. If you can find either of these part worn I'd snap them up for the right price.