PDA

View Full Version : Buying new - advice

gbjk
26-01-2012, 10:13 PM
Hi.

I'm changing my '58 Lexus GS 450h SE-L for a new Audi A6 2.0 TDI.
( Anyone interested in the lexus, it'll be for sale next month )

I've got to confirm specification in the next few days.

I'd like some advice, please.

I originally wanted cream leather, ventilated seats, and wood.
( I guess because that's what I'm used to )
Turns out that I really have to choose between the s-line features, and ventilated seats. Having thought about it for a while, I've decided to go for the S-line, and lose the idea of "plush luxury" in favour of the better exterior hints. A factor in this has been the fact that none of the a6's for sale have ventilated seats.

So having gone that far, I'm thinking I should be going for the standard metal s-line inlays, right? Does anyone have the wood or piano black and want to recommend it? I haven't seen either in the flesh

My aim with this change was to add a load of technology, so i'm opting for:
- ACC, side assist, lane assist, pre-sense plus
- Adaptive bi-xenon lights
- HUD
- 4-zone
- Speed limit display

I've given up on the idea of LED lights. They're expensive, and again, I don't see many cars with them at all. (In fact, I couldn't find a single one).
Also out is the park assist. I don't parrallel park often enough, even though it's only 410.
I've also decided against the pedestrian night vision, since it's expensive, and seems unicorn rare!

So, from those options, are there any which aren't worth the money, or which I should consider more, from people's experience?

The speed limit display I was a bit dubious about. Can anyone confirm if *without* it, you still see the GPS driven speed limit on the DIS or HUD?

Very tempted by the B&O stereo, but too expensive.

Other than that, I'm thinking the ubiquitous daytona grey, with standard 18" alloys. Whilst I'm tempted to get bigger nicer ones, I'm aware how much the tyres cost!

Full spec: http://configurator.audi.co.uk/entry?context=accx-uk_gb-en&audicode=AC3CBEPH

Any other advice?

Thanks

Gareth

Guest 2
27-01-2012, 11:28 AM
Hi.

I'm changing my '58 Lexus GS 450h SE-L for a new Audi A6 2.0 TDI.
( Anyone interested in the lexus, it'll be for sale next month )

I've got to confirm specification in the next few days.

I'd like some advice, please.

I originally wanted cream leather, ventilated seats, and wood.
( I guess because that's what I'm used to )
Turns out that I really have to choose between the s-line features, and ventilated seats. Having thought about it for a while, I've decided to go for the S-line, and lose the idea of "plush luxury" in favour of the better exterior hints. A factor in this has been the fact that none of the a6's for sale have ventilated seats.

I'm looking to change to a C7 possibly within the next few months and I've been looking used and I haven't seen any cars with Venitlated Seats, even Audi demo cars. Tbh, I'd have the heated seats and just use the aircon to cool me down :)

So having gone that far, I'm thinking I should be going for the standard metal s-line inlays, right? Does anyone have the wood or piano black and want to recommend it? I haven't seen either in the flesh

The standard metal inlays are probably the most common on all the cars, the piano black is what it is, a glossy black trim resembling a piano. Wood isn't my thing, and there are not many cars with it either, just the standard 'metal' inlay.

My aim with this change was to add a load of technology, so i'm opting for:
- ACC, side assist, lane assist, pre-sense plus
- Adaptive bi-xenon lights
- HUD
- 4-zone
- Speed limit display

This is the same sorta spec I'm looking for except the Speed limit display, SA and LA.Most used cars I've been looking at have the first 3. These were all Audi demo cars. TBH, I wouldnt trust any piece of technology to check my blindspot even though it is Audi, it still could go wrong and end badly. Same with the ACC, normal cruise would do the job.

I've given up on the idea of LED lights. They're expensive, and again, I don't see many cars with them at all. (In fact, I couldn't find a single one).
Also out is the park assist. I don't parrallel park often enough, even though it's only 410.
I've also decided against the pedestrian night vision, since it's expensive, and seems unicorn rare!

LED lights is something I would want, although I havent seen them in the dark to comment but I assume they would be better than normal Xenon headlamps. I would consider night vision to be a novelty rather than a need, for example, during the summer months with late nights? It would only be real use in the winter months when nights get darker earlier.

So, from those options, are there any which aren't worth the money, or which I should consider more, from people's experience?

What Satnav option have you picked? There have been some problems on the forum about the Google Map and Online services option about the car not allowing two connections or something. You would need to have a read at this yourself.

The speed limit display I was a bit dubious about. Can anyone confirm if *without* it, you still see the GPS driven speed limit on the DIS or HUD?

I'm not totally sure about this, although shabazmo has this option on his A7, so maybe worth asking him. The A7 has the same kit as the A6 and its been out longer so more questions and answers have been asked. Have a look there.

Very tempted by the B&O stereo, but too expensive.

I couldn't justify £6k for a stereo, the BOSE system would probably be quite similar.

Other than that, I'm thinking the ubiquitous daytona grey, with standard 18" alloys. Whilst I'm tempted to get bigger nicer ones, I'm aware how much the tyres cost!

Daytona Grey is awesome. I also have a thing for Oolong Grey. 19" tyres are expensive, I paid £1k for 4 Michelin PS2s, they were actually on offer at the time. 20" tyres would be even more!

Full spec: http://configurator.audi.co.uk/entry?context=accx-uk_gb-en&audicode=AC3CBEPH

That seems alot of money for a 2.0 TDI FWD. I would rather have a 3.0 TDI quattro and remove some of the options or see what the price would be for the 3.0 TDI and the same options fitted. But, its your money, your car etc so thats my own opinion there :)

Any other advice?

If, and when you get your car, make sure you post pics! ;)

Welcome to VWAF :)

To make things easier to read, I'll reply under each of your paragraphs.

Chris

gbjk
27-01-2012, 11:46 AM
Chris,

Thanks for your replies!

I'm looking to change to a C7 possibly within the next few months and I've been looking used and I haven't seen any cars with Venitlated Seats, even Audi demo cars. Tbh, I'd have the heated seats and just use the aircon to cool me down :)

I've absolutely loved ventilated seats in the summer in the lexus. I hope that the audi aircon is good enough that it won't be an issue. I'm slightly concerned about hot black seats in the summer, but we'll have to see, I guess.
Certainly, if I can ween myself off ventilated seats (which I've had for 5 years now in the last two lexus) then my options list would be cheaper!

Same with the ACC, normal cruise would do the job.

One of my biggest pet hates on the motorway is people constantly varying their speed, so you can't use cruise control. I passed on ACC on the GS 3 years ago, and I've regretted it, so I think it's positive.

What Satnav option have you picked? There have been some problems on the forum about the Google Map and Online services option about the car not allowing two connections or something. You would need to have a read at this yourself.

The Technology package, and pretty much everything - should all show in the configuratior link :). Thanks for the heads up on Google maps - will go hunting.

That seems alot of money for a 2.0 TDI FWD. I would rather have a 3.0 TDI quattro and remove some of the options or see what the price would be for the 3.0 TDI and the same options fitted. But, its your money, your car etc so thats my own opinion there :)

I'll have to drive the 2.0 TDI FWD once more to be sure, but it felt "good enough" to me, even coming from a 3.5 petrol hybrid.

This brings me on to the big question for everyone:

The price I'm offered for this is 39500, so about an 7500 discount or so.
The finance is at 7.6% APR.

Does this seem good enough to people, or do you think I can get a better deal?

Thanks

Gareth

nealeb
27-01-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm in the unusual position of driving a C7 A6, delivered just before Christmas, while waiting for a replacement car to be delivered. There was a mixup with my order and the wrong spec was ordered; as a result I was given the chance to drive a number of demo cars to check that what I said I wanted was really what I wanted, and I also had the experience of trying out a number of other features as well. Comments below are based on that experience.

SE versus S-line. Interestingly, this discussion nearly always seems to relate to the cosmetic aspects, which don't bother me in the slightest (I can't even remember which shade of grey I ordered!). However, because the S-line comes with a couple of the options I wanted (xenon headlights - but see below - and sports seats) I did try one. Unfortunately, the dealer did not have an S-line with the standard suspension. They see the SE as being much more popular, and their only S-line demonstrator had the standard 18" wheels but with air suspension. So, I was sent out in that, so that I could switch between "comfort" (SE-like?) and "dynamic" (S-line-like?). I found the car to be harsh and noisy compared with my own SE, and the main effect of "dynamic" was to make it harsher still. I doubt that, on public roads and driven more-or-less legally, the handling differences are worth having although I guess that they might show up on a track. So, I crossed S-line off the list.

Headlamps. I originally wanted adaptive xenon, but the car was delivered with standard xenon. This was the mistake. I have now driven both types, and I believe that the adaptive headlights are very good. Whether they are worth the money is up to the buyer, but I think so. I have also now gone for the LED headlamps based on feedback from a colleague who has them on an A7 and raves about them. They have even more cleverness built-in around beam shaping and so on but, as mentioned, they are like hen's teeth.

I have gone for technology and comfort packs, plus sports seats and folding mirrors. That gives the top-end nav system, better MMI controls, and so on. Well, "better" is a subjective term but I do use both the touch pad and voice input. Can't remember exactly what is in which pack but they both give something like a "three options for the price of two" deal, and if you wanted two of those then it's worth going for the package. One thing that I would probably have done without if it were not included in a pack is the rear-view camera; it does work very well but actually parking sensors ain't bad and I could have lived with just them. Maybe if you want a saloon then the camera might be more useful as the backend is not very visible from the driving seat. I find front sensors useful as this model seems to have more of a bonnet bulge and you can't see the front too well when parking. I have parked, easily, in spaces that I probably would not have attempted in my previous A6 without these aids.

Sound systems - flash systems don't rock my boat. If I want to listen to music properly, I would rather sit in my armchair at home with a decent system and maybe a glass of sct! The standard system seems to work pretty well, though, and I like the built-in SD memory card facility.

Speed limit display comes up on the main, central, map display using data off the map. It is generally accurate but you can't always rely on it as it obviously does not get updated on the fly when actual limits are changed. I don't have the speed limit-reading device although I don't think it's particularly expensive if you already have an option that include the mirror-mounted camera.

4-zone climate control I don't need as I seldom have rear-seat passengers but it does give an easier-to-read digital temperature display than the two-zone where I find it slightly difficult to read the numbers on the setting knob.

Seats - wanted the sports seats as there is more adjustment and I find them more comfortable. I have the alcantara/leather combination as I find the "mock suede" warmer in winter and cooler in summer than straight leather. I also have heated seats.

Lane assist - might be useful if you tend to fall asleep a lot! I don't feel it's justified for me. I have upgraded to ACC after trying it. Couple of things about it - when you use the "nudge" up/down control it jumps in 5MPH steps rather than 1MPH so you get to the set speed more quickly. Set speed shows both digitally on the DIS and also LED around the speedo and you can set speed without actually have cruise control on. It is also quite useful on those not-quite-busy-enough-to-disable-CC motorway situations where it will just drop back a couple of MPH when someone pulls out in front of you, and then resume automatically once the road is clear. I haven't properly trusted it in stop-and-go traffic but shall do once I have the new car.

Park assist - I've always prided myself on my ability to park and I always reverse into parking spaces just for the practice. With the sensors and rear camera to make sure that you can see awkward obstacles, I see no real need for that feature and I would see it more as a nice toy to show off to the neighbours!

HUD, night-vision camera - my A7-owning colleague likes these but I haven't tried them, and I think that they are more expensive in the A6 than the A7 anyway.

As ever, all such comments are highly subjective and my main advice would be to get hold of several demonstrators to try out all these features, including a night drive to try out the headlights. It seems that the demostrators sent out by Audi have some odd combinations of extras fitted so you are unlikely to see a single car with all your short-listed options - if you can find some of them at all!

Oh, and in brief the Google maps, etc, business largely comes down to people with iPhones. You can either stick a SIM card in a slot in the dash and the built-in phone will use it, or you can use a phone (like most of the Nokia range) that allows the car to "borrow" the phone's SIM via the RSAP bluetooth connection. That apparently works fine. The trouble is that the iPhone does not support the RSAP protocol, so you cannot use the car's built-in phone using the iPhone's SIM - so no data connection. Hands-free operation is fine, though - certainly my wife's iPhone works OK in my car. I've never used the data connection, though, so have no direct experience of it.

gbjk
27-01-2012, 01:36 PM
nealeb,

Thanks for that - very detailed indeed and much appreciated.

The S-Line doesn't actually handle any differently - the suspension is the same!
You can get S-line suspension separately, for free, but I don't intend to.

I'm now very used to reversing camera, having used one for 6 years, and get annoyed when I don't have one.

Good to know about the iphone. I assume I can just get another sim card from vodafone, and be done with it.

Thanks

Gareth

aurora7
27-01-2012, 08:11 PM
Gareth

Check out the "MMI Navigation Plus/Online Services/Mobile Phones" thread in the A7 forum. A long read (currently 82 posts) but you will get a better gist of the problem if you have an iPhone (and beware of the difficulties in getting a second SIM; Vodafone no longer provide them apparently).

aurora7
27-01-2012, 08:15 PM
another thing you get with 4 zone CC (on the A7 at least so I assume it's the same on the A6) apart the difference in digital vs dial controls is a "synch" button which allows you to synch all 4 temp settings (and therefore control all 4 together). Doesn't sound much, but some people who constantly have passengers changing heating settings find this very useful.

aurora7
27-01-2012, 08:26 PM
sorry Gareth.... keep finding more things in your original post to comment on!

Speed limit display - I would skip that. As nealeb says, you get it in the central map display based on satnav data and it's pretty good. You can also set a speed limit warning which will give you an audible tone at a pre-set speed if you think you might need reminding in case you get carried away...

I am a big fan of the HUD, but it was very cost effective in the A7 when wrapped into the tech package. I would strongly recommend testing one before you rule it out. Mine is configurable to show digital speed (current), sat nav next directions (e.g. turn left in nn notches), cruise control on, and night vision assist red warning (when a pedestrian actually walks right out in front of you, which is mercifully quite rare!!)

Oh and I'm a very big fan of adaptive LED.... just a fantastic quality of light. In fact I am reluctant ever to drive another car without LED, I hope they come down in price and that more manufacturers and models incorporate them.

sorry, I probably haven't helped here!!

Guest 2
27-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Aurora7, could I be cheeky and ask for a pic of the led lights? Never seen them at night :) If you can't it's no problem :)

How do they compare with Xenons?

gbjk
27-01-2012, 09:22 PM
aurora7,

Thanks for the reply. I was quite happy to go without the speed limit display, but Audi keep telling me that without it, the speed limit won't show on the HUD, which is something I want. ( It sounds obvious that that's what it would do, but I figured it was more about reading it from cameras than actually displaying it, and therefore I thought that without it, maybe you got the display of speed limit, but it came solely from sat nav ).

I've taken the online services thread into account and will talk to Audi about it tomorrow.
More importantly, I think I see a solution to it anyway, so meh. It's bound to be easier to make the iphone do what I want than visa-versa.

I have to admit that I'm still concerned that I should be looking harder at the competing bmw 520d.
The thing that put me off it was the standard auto-gearbox, which was awful compared to CVT.
The thing that attracted me was the 10" screen, and built in data system.

Gareth

aurora7
27-01-2012, 09:26 PM
Gareth - re speed limit display in the HUD - if that's a deal breaker for you then yes you do need the speed limit display extra option. I don't have it, and don't get the option to show the speed limit in the HUD, and I have seen documented somewhere that in theory the HUD can display this so I guess it relies on the actual speed limit option rather than just the data in the sat nav.

aurora7
27-01-2012, 09:32 PM
Aurora7, could I be cheeky and ask for a pic of the led lights? Never seen them at night :) If you can't it's no problem :)

How do they compare with Xenons?

A6_Chris,

I'm no photographer and only have the iPhone camera but am happy to give it a go. I take it you want a night time shot?

I had Bi-Xenons on my 55 A8 and thought they were great. However, the LEDs take things to another fairly different level. The light is more white than bright if that makes sense, and always seems very empathetic to your surroundings (town, countryside, motorway etc.)

The one big thing I have noticed is that I never dazzle oncoming drivers. I used to get flashed at fairly regularly in the A8/xenons but was only flashed for the first time in 8 months the other day. The technology (and here I'm not sure whether it's the adaptive bit, the high beam assist, the all weather lights or just the LEDs) seems to always adjust for oncoming traffic, achieving a remarkable balance between giving me the driver good visibility and not blinding everyone else.

Obviously there are also energy saving benefits and apparently they don't need replacing as often (or ever... can't remember the exact marketing talk now).

Guest 2
27-01-2012, 09:41 PM
Yeah I night time shot would be great and your positive words make me want them even more.

Are the fog lamps built into the LEDs too? That's if there are any because the LEDs are so bright?

gbjk
27-01-2012, 09:47 PM
I've been trying to get the price down just a bit more, and had to cut some stuff out.
The things I decided I'd have to go without were the LEDs and the ventilated seats.

So... Stop making me want them!!!

aurora7
27-01-2012, 10:49 PM
I did warn that I was no photographer... but I hope it gives you the general idea?

aurora7
27-01-2012, 10:50 PM
A6_Chris, this Youtube video might give you a better idea than my photo?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_R06qx3zLQ

Re fog lights; there are rear fog lights but no traditional front fog lights (the functionality is incorporated into the "all weather lights"

gbjk
28-01-2012, 08:11 PM
I am weak.

Not only did I add on the LED lights, but also the park assist. And 19" wheels (The same s-line wheels).
So that's pretty much every option possible, I guess :o(
Oh well - at least I didn't change the engine too.

So I ordered it today, and it'll be delivered end of April.

Thanks for your advice everyone.

Gareth

Timothy Nathan
05-02-2012, 03:17 PM
nealab,

Sorry to be late on the uptake, but I have only just joined this forum, expecting to take delivery of a 3.0TDI Avant in the next few days.

You have worried me with tales of your car being misconfigured when it was delivered. I ordered mine through a salesman who struck me as being a very poor communicator and who gave me very little confidence (I have since asked to be transferred to a different salesman, but after the order went in). I will not believe that the car is configured correctly until it is in my hands and I have counted every part. (I recently noticed that the order specifies folding mirrors, which should be part of the Tech Pack Advanced, but uses the code 6XG, which is non-folding mirrors, so there is at least one mistake.)

Out of interest, I have ordered Tech Pack Advanced Comfort Pack HUD Speed limit display DAB Xenon Leather and wood Heated seats large fuel tank Metallic

So, what errors did they make on yours? I will probably take delivery in the middle of a busy day, so want to be quick to pick up any misconfiguration. How small a mistake is it reasonable to reject a car on? If you do reject it, are you then back on the three month delivery cycle?

gbjk
05-02-2012, 04:43 PM
Timothy,

I've recently ordered my new a6. I had a lot of options (nearly all, except night vision and air suspension) to select.
The salesman I had was extremely thorough, and we triple checked everything using the brochure to make sure there were no mistakes.
This was crawley audi. They were fantastic through the whole process.

We did find a typo in the brochure, suggesting you can't have the top ACC + lane assist + side assist option with a 2.0 TDI, when in fact you just can't have it on a manual.

Unfortunately I had to order many options without ever having seen them - park assist, acc/lane/side assist, ambient lighting, led head lights, none of these were available to see before purchase :o(

So was your sales process very different from that?

Right now, I'm very confident that the configuration was correct.

Though I'll probably go quadruple check it (again, for the second time) now!

Thanks

Gareth

ti rich
05-02-2012, 04:59 PM
I am still looking for my Bose subwoofer in the spare wheel well. It's not there for sure or someone has nicked it! - Another brochure mistake.

Timothy Nathan
05-02-2012, 05:06 PM
Gareth,

I don't think it's fair to discuss an individual salesman here in public. I am happy to discuss by phone if you want to PM me a number.

gbjk
05-02-2012, 05:21 PM
You're kidding me?
I mean: I don't think I care, but it's quite an epic mis-print!

Timothy Nathan
05-02-2012, 05:30 PM
Sorry, I am clearly missing something. Have I said something wrong?

gbjk
05-02-2012, 06:17 PM
Timothy,

No, no. I was replying to the comment about the bose sub-woofer being missing.

As for your comment: I meant in general terms, not specific to any individual.
I was asking: Did you not go through the spec you were ordering together in great detail before committing?

I'm basically interested in whether mis-configurations are happening because of mis-informed orders being placed, or if there's there's been many audis that get delivered built differently to the order form.

:)

Timothy Nathan
05-02-2012, 06:19 PM
So am I!

nealeb
05-02-2012, 10:26 PM
In my case, the car was built to the order that was submitted, but unfortunately that order was not exactly what I wanted. I was given a car with xenon headlights (an extra on my SE) but not the adaptive lights. I believe that this was a genuine mistake by the dealer concerned; their order form with its computer-generated option descriptions was, in retrospect, a bit ambiguous so I thought that it was the adaptive xenon option, and the price against it (which I assumed would have been generated by the ordering system) was for the option I wanted. The dealer has accepted that the car supplied was incorrect and the right one (with even more options...) is now on order. There was another mistake - something like 6XE instead of 6XF? - which was the difference between memory mirrors (which I wanted) instead of non-memory. However, the right option turned up - I suspect that the difference is purely down to whether or not memory seats are fitted and the actual assembly is the same. Maybe - anyway, it's all academic now.

Judging from how often this kind of thing has been reported, I suspect that this is a very rare event but I would recommend very carefully checking option descriptions and part numbers against the catalogue just in case!

Certainly difficult to try out all the options in advance. I ended up driving a total of 4 demo cars, and none of them had LED headlamps. One had lane assist although I never turned it on. I don't think that I could have tried a head-up display either.

BigAid
06-02-2012, 08:41 AM
The fog lamps are integrated into the main light cluster on all the new A6's - what ever lights you go for - little wedge light at the bottom of the cluster i think - if there are anything which look like fog lamps in the lower bumper its the lane assist cameras and the have smoked glass lenses.

BigAid
06-02-2012, 08:48 AM
Oh and funnily enough the active cruse control / lane assist both don't work once your car grille and front have iced up in snow. The night vision worked (it just didn't show as good a contrast at all) for a while until that iced up too.

LA & ACC are both great in normal weather on the motorway. I found the Side Assist a bit spotty at times - more saying something was there when there was nothing or staying on for a while after I'd passed a car.

I would agree the LEDs are amazing for driving at night - I've done a lot of night driving with halogens and the difference to the LEDs bright whiteness and high beam assist have been great. Really bright white light and no flashes from other drivers yet. - Did have to turn off high beam assist in the snow as it just didn't pickup other drivers lights until too late in my opinion.

Timothy Nathan
06-02-2012, 09:51 AM
In my case, the car was built to the order that was submitted, but unfortunately that order was not exactly what I wanted. I was given a car with xenon headlights (an extra on my SE) but not the adaptive lights.
That is reassuring. It was only after the car was said to have left the factory that I noticed a miscoding on the order (though the description was correct) and it is good to know that they will honour even a very minor error such as yours, and mine would be.

It might seem obsessive to make a fuss about folding mirrors, but the gap I have to drive down to get to my office car park is definitely too narrow with the mirrors out, and it would be dangerous to get out in the main road to fold them.

BigAid
06-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Photos of the A6 Adaptive LEDs - the bottom strip is the day-time running the middle the normal beam and the upper leds the high beam. the small unlit area below the strip is the 'all weather' fog light equivalent lights - these really point sideways to give alot of close wide light.

nealeb
06-02-2012, 11:18 AM
It looks to me as if there are more unlit LED modules towards the outside of the headlight. Are these actually indicators, or something to do with the steering-adaptive headlights? Maybe the "junction light"? My replacement car with the LEDs isn't due until the end of March so it might well be October or so before I actually have a chance to use them in earnest...

I tried having a look at my xenon lights recently, to see if I could see where the light was coming from, but it was so bright I couldn't see anything! Photos seem like a good option if the exposure control can handle it.

BigAid
06-02-2012, 11:58 AM
No the indicators are actually the day time running strip of LEDs across the bottom

The vertical side strip of LEDs were on - just appear dimmer might just be the camera angle or just reduced due to ambient light/mainly used for
cornering

'All-LED headlights are optional on the new A6 Saloon and include main headlights that have cornering light, all-weather light and highway light configurations, indicators, and daytime running lights'

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.463686,-0.132561

BigAid
06-02-2012, 12:09 PM
You've the three settings for early - late for headlights in the MMI - and you get the daytime strip at all times - however the dipped beam LEDs above the strip appear to kick in fairly early in Winter depending on ambient light no matter if you've set late in the MMI and selected auto.

I think they're all internally gimballed to allow the rotation for cornering

Cornering lights are noticeable when turning/parking not really noticed the junction lights and mainly been doing lit motorways or A roads so no real dark lanes to have fun on yet to see the cornering in action.....

Main thing is notice very very slight shadows where LED beams overlap vertically in a broad wide area of white light instead of cone from a bulb with the darkening towards the edges

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.463884,-0.132449