PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Wear and Tear ???

Chilly
24-05-2006, 08:13 PM
Hello,

Since I bought my Passat TDI 130 on the 10th March I have had endless turbo problems. I have had the MAF replaced, the EGR valve cleaned, some vacuum hoses replaced and a turbo boost control valve replaced.
The only thing left to try now is to replace the turbo. I have a warrenty through Auto Protect and was told when I bought the warrenty that the turbo would be covered. Now that I am trying to make a claim they have told me that the turbo must be sent to Essex Turbos to be assessed. The will tell them if it is "wear and tear" or a machanical failure. As Essex Turbos is being paid by Auto Protect I am in no doubt that they will say it is wear and tear and my £300 warranty will be worthless.

Does anyone else have experience of a turbo failing because of wear and tear? My car is 3 years old with 100,000 miles and a full VW service history.

Thanks.

glynnd
25-05-2006, 03:33 PM
What are the symptoms as I have exactly the same car done exactly the same mileage?

Chilly
25-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Glynnd,

I had a very noisy turbo and a slight loss in power. From time to time the car would drop into safe mode, but I discovered that dipping the cluch and switching the ignition on and off quickly cured this. On a 2 hour run last Sunday I happened 6 times.

However the warranty company has said it will pay for a new turbo. Very unexpected, I'm still in shock.

Hope yours doesn't have the same symptoms.

Thanks.