PDA

View Full Version : Question Simple Mods - non-chavvy

JazzJPH
25-01-2012, 12:39 AM
Hellooo! I've posted me intro and now just keen on finding out what tasteful mods you've done to your A4.

I've got an A4 2.0 TDi SE. I am fully aware it is "Just an A4" not your fancy S-Line, RS4 blah blah... BUT, I am keen on making it look tastefully modded. It just looks like I want kids at the moment, and I really don't...

What tasteful mods can you think of? I have got a quote for some tints on the rears, it's the next one from limo black. My mate has the suspension from an S-Line that he says I can have for free, would the difference be much? Should I look at getting coilovers?

Any other mods would be appreciated!!!!

allanmb
25-01-2012, 03:47 PM
Hellooo! I've posted me intro and now just keen on finding out what tasteful mods you've done to your A4.

I've got an A4 2.0 TDi SE. I am fully aware it is "Just an A4" not your fancy S-Line, RS4 blah blah... BUT, I am keen on making it look tastefully modded. It just looks like I want kids at the moment, and I really don't...

What tasteful mods can you think of? I have got a quote for some tints on the rears, it's the next one from limo black. My mate has the suspension from an S-Line that he says I can have for free, would the difference be much? Should I look at getting coilovers?

Any other mods would be appreciated!!!!

Apparently the RS4 Anti-Roll Bars are great. Also, which wheels do you have?

vince70
25-01-2012, 04:27 PM
There is a lovely 07 plate silver Audi A4 estate round the corner from me and it has a set of Merc Dark grey Wheels fitted they are so big that they are tucked away under the arches, I dont know which merc they are off but it looks great.
Also it has one of those nuremburg Track stickers on the back and it says underneath never been lol, plus euro style number plates.
Also I saw a B5 A4 the other day which looked nice and the front grill didn't have the audi logo just a mesh grill, also it had the audi signs taken off the back, but I didn't like that as much as without the badges it could have been a Skoda, but thats me being a badge snob lol.

MFGF
25-01-2012, 05:15 PM
My mate has the suspension from an S-Line that he says I can have for free, would the difference be much?

The S line suspension is a 30mm drop from the SE. It hardens up the ride quite a bit too.

MF.

allanmb
25-01-2012, 05:28 PM
There is a lovely 07 plate silver Audi A4 estate round the corner from me and it has a set of Merc Dark grey Wheels fitted they are so big that they are tucked away under the arches

^^ Sounds quite chavvy to me ;-) But would have to see pics to judge!

darich
25-01-2012, 07:28 PM
I'm with Allanmb....sounds chavvy. Any car with the wheels inside the arches can only look good if it's in ther touring car series.

There are loads of mods you could do
I have blinds fitted in my car.....looks like tints but without the increased insurance.....can also be removed and sold on separately.
RS4 anti roll bar is a popular one, but not visible.
I've also seen boot lid spoilers, roof spoilers (sounds worse than it is, but still not for me), front splitters, DRL, bigger wheels (sometimes painted), chrome mirror covers, LED lights to replace stock ones, carbon vinyl fitted to interior aluminium trim, vinyl wrap bonnet/roof/panel of your choice.

All the above were not on the same car I should add.

Every one has their own take on modifications.

JazzJPH
25-01-2012, 07:32 PM
Cheers for replying everyone!

My wheels are the standard 5 spoke ones. They look canny small but that could apparently be because my car sits so high..

I guess the 30mm drop would be nice enough (if it's for free). I'll have to find someone to do the labour, I'm not too bad with motors but there's something about the compressed springs that unsettles me (ie popping out and snapping my jaw).

JazzJPH
25-01-2012, 07:34 PM
I completely agree darich. I'm just trying to see if there are any mods I haven't thought of yet. Tints won't up my insurance though. I've not heard of blinds, I'll look into them a bit.

I was thinking about a lip spoiler. I want the car to look nice, and kind of original, but at the same time not a family car. It also needs to be realistic, it's not a performance car!! haha!

darich
25-01-2012, 08:21 PM
Jazz

check my gallery....there's a shot taken when I was camping last summer with the blinds fitted......looks like blacked/tinted windows.
There was a group buy on this forum a while back...... check out www.vanstyle.co.uk for the stuff we got. Very good stuff and my mate bought some for his Merc.

When I enquired about the tints I was told that my excess would increase and if damaged, the windows would only be replaced with stock ones....so hardly worth it. Blinds are an accessory so I've not told them about that.
I've also got a set of 19inch RS6 alloys.....in my opinion, the nicest alloys you can fit to an A4....but as I posted earlier, everyone has their own view.

Get some pics up of what you eventuall decide on!!

JazzJPH
25-01-2012, 08:38 PM
Do they just work like normal blinds? (Don't laugh!) As in there's some sort of fitting at the top and you pull them down? Ahh right, For £145 I don't really mind about the tints like. I think mods only count on my insurance once they go above £3k.

I'd like to up the size of the alloys, but I'll first see how it looks when the suspension is on. How much do you reckon it'd cost (roughly) for the suspension to be changed? Like I say I'll have all the gear, just labour needed.

kodkod.84
25-01-2012, 08:48 PM
If you have the standard 16" alloys they do look mighty small with big n bouncy tyres. My first A4 was a SE and had the 17" Star alloys and s-line suspension which made the stance look a lot sportier- pics in my profile.
I'm not a great fan of aftermarket mods on Audi's prefer the OEM look, most mods I did were interior arm-rest, s-line gear knob etc. I've seen genuine Audi bodykits for the SE which make it look like the DTM model but these are rare and probably very expensive.
Not quite known the obsession with putting Merc wheels on an Audi- likewise now I have a MK3 Golf, I see plenty with Porsche rims and bonnet bras! Think it's called the euro-scene or something like that :)

darich
25-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Do they just work like normal blinds? (Don't laugh!) As in there's some sort of fitting at the top and you pull them down? Ahh right, For £145 I don't really mind about the tints like. I think mods only count on my insurance once they go above £3k.

I'd like to up the size of the alloys, but I'll first see how it looks when the suspension is on. How much do you reckon it'd cost (roughly) for the suspension to be changed? Like I say I'll have all the gear, just labour needed.

Jazz

They don't work like blinds at all. They're made of a fine fabric mesh with a stiff frame. The frame fits snugly in the door frame. Small sticky backed plastic hooks at the top and it simply sits snugly in the frame at the bottom. They don't move up or down at all. My mate that got them for his merc was well impressed because there are no gaps for stray shafts of sunlight.....he was forever finding his baby daughter blinded thanks for sods law - the sun always getting at her face through the gaps. These have none. Very snug fit round the whole window (including rear window which is in two halves).

No idea on suspension change but another mod I have read about a few members doing is to change the front shocker mount (or something like that) for the stock one from a passat (i think). Apparently it drops the front a few mm and on an Sline suspension, the general concensus is that it makes the car look a bit more balanced.

lukeybaby
26-01-2012, 01:54 AM
darich

Could you please tell me more about the Sline front shocker mount change or direct me where to look.

I've tried looking myself but can't find anything.

Cheers in advance!

Roonster
26-01-2012, 11:02 AM
Have a gander at this

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php/378576-B5-lowering-caps-on-my-B7-to-even-out-the-stance

Also, The Leon Cupra R front lip looks on the B7.

darich
26-01-2012, 07:31 PM
Roonster's got it.

I knew it wasn't a standard A4 B7 part and that only lowered a few mm to even out the stance.
Looks exactly what I was talking about.

beni786
27-01-2012, 12:04 AM
I've got an SE just like you and I put the original s line shocks on. It has dropped it and looks very nice. Cost me £140 for fitting, I was told by the garage it was a hard job hence the price. The rides great too. Now all I need to do is get round to finding the right wheels!

lukeybaby
27-01-2012, 01:56 AM
Cheers guys ;)

GarJE
29-01-2012, 12:37 AM
Why buy an SE and try to make it look better? Why not just buy an S-Line? By rights, you should declare any mods you make (which will likely hike your insurance), making it a purchase price factor only. My advice: Don't build a car you can already buy.

Take care of the basics first. Has it had a timing belt change? Are the brakes soon likely to need replacement. I see too many cars on the road these days with nice wheels with bald tyres.

discobarry
31-01-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm not always so keen on aftermarket LED lights but these look great.... https://www.dectane.de/product_info.php?info=p69964_modulite-tagfahrlicht-audi-a4-b7-s-line-05-08--mit-nsw.html&XTCsid=61d12d1f2acec757cd8d2f91e8619b9f

https://www.dectane.de/images/product_images/popup_images/moda05fx.jpg

darich
31-01-2012, 11:04 PM
I've just bought some vinyl tape and plan to cover my chrome window trims (slightly discoloured as per the common issue), grill and tail chrome panels.

beni786
31-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Let us know how u get on, and take plenty of pics!!

Puresilk
22-02-2012, 03:02 AM
Privacy glass
Hid kit
19 inch alloys

Keep it simple

discobarry
22-02-2012, 07:33 PM
I don't think the aftermarket HID kits look good, i thought about the LED's which are fitted into the foglight surrounds but decided against it as it looks much better as it is supposed to be.

darich
22-02-2012, 07:53 PM
I don't think the aftermarket HID kits look good, i thought about the LED's which are fitted into the foglight surrounds but decided against it as it looks much better as it is supposed to be.

I like the black grille.
One of my plans for the summer.

discobarry
22-02-2012, 09:03 PM
They look great when you get the right one or mod it right! put pics up when you do it?!

darich
22-02-2012, 11:01 PM
They look great when you get the right one or mod it right! put pics up when you do it?!

With photography as a hobby that's a given!!!

I tried a few weeks back but I think it was too cold and I kept getting wrinkles and the vinyl felt brittle. Need warmer weather and a hairdryer to make it more pliable.
I'm also gonna try and black out my chrome window trims.....they're almost white just now!

kodkod.84
23-02-2012, 12:02 AM

Agree aftermarket HIDs do not suit the lens of the normal halogen light units as the light pattern is thrown everywhere- need the projector lens.
Not to mention soon to be mot failure if not fitted with washers and levellers.
Philips Xtreme or Osram nightbreaker bulbs a safer bet

discobarry
23-02-2012, 07:27 PM
My grill is original fitment Darich.