PDA

View Full Version : Suspension for my VW Golf MK4 GTi

reddunk
24-01-2012, 11:03 PM
New to this forum stuff. I am looking at lowering my Mk4 GTi. I was looking at coilovers what you would recommend is need to do this. I have read a couple of posts and they are very conflicting.

rosso rocket
04-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Hi Reddunk,

I also have a 1999 Mk4 Golf Gti Turbo, which I had lowered a while back. It depends what you want to do and how low to go.

I used Koni Sportline Shock and Spring kit, which is around the £500 mark depending upon where you buy this from - I got mine on ebay at £300, brand new, so it pays to look around. personally, I would only buy a new kit, as with second user stuff, you won't know how good it is until its on the car...bought as seen and all that stuff. Just be careful and sensible about what you buy and where from.

I lowered mine 35mm front and back and it made a big difference to the look and handling - couple this with uprated Poly bushes and mounts and its transformed the standard stodgy handling. If you want even better, install uprated antil roll bars, front and back, again, with uprated poly bushes and it'll handle as if on rails, as I have done with mine.

If however you want to go lower than this i.e.cats eye scraping, then beware of the following:-

The Exhaust Centre silencer box is already low on this model so if you aren't careful you will damage it easily, same for oil sump, especially if your undertray is missing!
You will need extended drop links to avoid fouling the driveshafts, which will wear when they come into contact with the suspension if the standard set up is NOT modified - you need to do this
The ride won't be that nice....

But if thats what you want, then go for it.

If you want a sensible job to improve the handling, at a reasonable budget and with great results, do what I did. Coilovers are not really needed and are an extra expense, as is a fully adjustable system. The Koni sportline is top adjustable for rebound on the front shocks, using a special key, which you can adjust yourself - makes quite a difference too. Its also nice and simple - Jabbasport did mine but there is no reason why you couldn't get the bits and get a local garage to do the work, or do it yourself!

I have had my Golf from new in 1999, its done 132K mile with little or no problems at all, but I have tried most mods, know wwhat works and what doesnt and what to avoid....

If yours is a Turbo, which you don't say, you can do A LOT to boost the performance - I can tell you based on 13 yrs experience with this model!

Hope this helps?