PDA

View Full Version : Steering feedback has changed

NickH A4
23-01-2012, 05:03 PM
As the title says, my 170 quattro is feeling a bit different on the front, the feedback doesn't seem to be as positive and 'light and skittish' is probably a good description. This happens at all speeds, seems to firm up a bit as the speed builds and then I can go to change lane on the motorway and it's like driving on ice.

I want to know what's going on down there and at the moment it just doesn't give me the confidence I had. Hit a pothole a few weeks ago which also marked my wheel :aargh4: so this may be the cause. No juddering or tracking problems though.

Anyone else had this?

I've checked tread, pressures etc all the obvious things, all 4 tyres were new in September.

I have no issues dropping it in for the dealers to look at but thought I would ask here first.

Thanks
Nick

John140
23-01-2012, 07:29 PM
I think these B8's are quite sentitive to tracking mis-allignment, also in my experience, if your tyres are a bit low on tread this will make a big difference to skittishness in the steering, but you say they are quite new. Temperature plays a part too, when the tyre compounds get really cold I think it can cause this, thats why on a bit of a journey when the tyres have warmed it may be better.

thescouselander
24-01-2012, 10:24 PM
Sounds like the tracking has been knocked out if alignment IMO.