PDA

View Full Version : Car STOLEN - Get a younger b7 or move to the b8....Your opinion.

P Smiddy
23-01-2012, 12:10 PM
Hi folks.

As the title said, my beloved car was stolen.
It was a 05 reg 2.0tdi 140 s line fwd with voice activated bluetooth and rear parking sensors.
The car was recovered 10 mins later with nearside damage to the wheel which ended up writing the car off :(.

So its now time for a new car. I've looked at the 3 series and did not like the interior, felt cheap and nasty. I've also looked at the new shape c class which was very impressive inside but still has the old man smooth ride feel so that's out, so i find myself back at Audi.

*******************NOW TO THE POINT****************

B7
I've always wanted the 170 quattro s line and if i can find one that's the special edition, but remembering correctly some people have had big issues with quattro (tire wear according to my dad) and the 170 engine. Any comments on this would be appreciated if you have one!

B8
I like the interior of this new Audi, looks the part. The only thing is the rear its not as chunky or as sporty looking as the B7 and the 170 does not have the duplex exhaust :( but it has so much more. I would be looking at the s line either 140 or 170 but i don't have the funds for a quattro unfortunately. Any comments on this would be appreciated if you have one!

Please feel free to say what you think about this, I've been out of the forum game a while and have missed a lot, the search does not bring back quite what I'm looking for so its you guys I'm depending on.

Thanks
Paul

ScottyUK
23-01-2012, 12:23 PM
quattro first :
I've had a TT (Haldex), a B6 S4 (40/60 Torsen) and now the B8 A4 (30/70 Torsen) and I've not had tyre problems on any of them.

Then again quattro will help you get off the line quicker but will be slower in gear (with good grip) due to the additional weight. This also costs you around 10% in fuel.

For me I love the quattro for simply putting the power down regardless of the conditions. I have a hatred of torque steer and of FWD tramping.

People say the FWD B8 is much better than previous FWD Audis due to equal lenght with bones etc and that may be the case but I had one for 6 months (they mis-ordered my quattro) and it simply reinforced my desire for the quattro. I guess it depends how you drive, the conditions you expect to have to drive in and then the financial component of the deal.

I think it's a very personal decision that you have to make. I guess the real question is that if you bought the B8 would you still hanker for your preferred shape of the B7 and quattro?

P Smiddy
23-01-2012, 12:46 PM
Thanks for the quick reply really appreciate it.

I don't drive motorways for work only a tight turned back road (15MINS) which screams for a quattro. I've never had the chance to push a quattro to see how it feels but reading what you said you can obviously feel the difference which is tempting me. I only have £14k to spend so trying to get a B8 quattro would be impossible, £14 is just enough to reach the B8 s line at the moment.
I know what your saying about the shape issue, I do like the B8 shape but you get the odd B7 that makes me go, oft very nice and i do prefer the back of the B7.
Interior wise, i can't argue, the B8 wins hands down, so do i sacrifice interior quality for looks and the performance i want or go with the newer car and be happy with what I'm surrounded in?
I suppose I'll need to look into the B8 a bit more, it mite sway me unless the B7 quattro takes me.

Thanks

John140
23-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Coming right to the point, I have had B6 and B7 A4's, and the B8 is galaxies better for refinement, interior space and diesel quietness. Although I am not fussed by 'handling' so I stuck with the SE model I wouldn't go back to a B7.

P Smiddy
23-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Thanks John, have been looking at them a bit this morning and I thought it did look a good bit bigger in the back. If I'm honest from what I've read so far, if a quattro B8 comes up at my price I think I would be all over it.

Thanks for the input.

dts439
23-01-2012, 06:17 PM
We moved from a B7 S-line to a B8 S-line and its a bigger car in both width and length. Rear seats have more legroom but there is no more space in our Avant load area (wider but lower). Our B8 is quieter, rides and handles much better than the B7 and I like the MMI system and its much easier to integrate iPods etc.

If I'm honest I think the B7 is a prettier shape than the B8 (Avant) and the extra width is annoying when parking it, but I wouldn't go back.

J_B204
23-01-2012, 08:17 PM
Look at my sig...

Have you thought about an SE quattro?

Remember that the sline is a harder drive and, internal equipment wise, not that different.

I think that you should go for the B8 - as others have said it is leagues ahead of the B7.

Your choice though...

What is more important...quattro or not?, sline or SE? B7 or B8?

Personally, I wanted a quattro which meant it had to be an SE not an Sline due to cost. If you prefer the styling, go for the Sline rather than the SE.

If funds are paramount (and kit) then the B7..

Easy :)

Best of luck!!

P Smiddy
23-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Thanks for the posts.
I have to say the B8 has grown on me because I've been looking at cars all day because the insurance made the offer today.
I would love a quattro but I cant afford it in the B8. Looking at the B7 and its interior it does look a bit out of date because I'm sure the B6 had the same interior as the B7.

I like the idea of the B8 being compatible with iPod etc which is ideal. As far as equipment, i'm still not up to scratch with what the B8 S line comes with i.e interior lighting pack and the multimedia side also its quiet just sounds more refined.

New plan is, get the 140 s line and a wee remap for a bit of punch and if i can get that black plastic diffuser at the back painted or wrapped.

@ J_B204, I did look into that but I've always been a big fan of the s line kits throughout their range so i would find it hard to move away from it. I'm 24 and the harder ride suites me at the stage but if I did not mind about the s line pack or sport ride the se is the sensible choice.

So any things I should look out for in the 140 s line, whats standard. As in equipment wise what is good to have, faults and problems ill search for in the forum.

Thanks

J_B204
23-01-2012, 09:03 PM
Have a look at the current brochure online, I don't think the spec has changed that much...

As for the harder ride...what you saying....am I am old git ;-)

I'm not even 40 yet!

Best of luck!

Sent from my LT15i using Tapatalk

P Smiddy
23-01-2012, 09:22 PM
I've not been on the Audi site for a while so that's a good shout.
My dad has a e class, its big and comfortable and I love it, the only thing is I get this urge to just go for it. The car does shift but the setup is not as sharp and stiff as i would like. I think what I'm saying is I don't appreciate that level of comfort yet, one day I will but for now I still have that random urge that says foot down and throw it into the corner ha ha.

Cheers

J_B204
23-01-2012, 09:28 PM
I know exactly what you mean. I went for the most powerful 2 litre tdi with quattro because I wanted a car that had plenty of grunt with handing and yet was less harsh over bumps.

One thing you haven't really talked about is what engine you are going for...

Petrol or diesel? I've gone for the 170 tdi, my first diesel (2.0) and I'm very impressed to be honest...

Nothing like doing 60 ( or more!) in 6 th and just putting your foot down and the car just pulling away!

Edit... You did mention the 170!!! Doh!!! Remember the b8 engine is not a pd engine which is a world apart from those in the b7s...

P Smiddy
23-01-2012, 11:28 PM
Sorry for the late reply my little sister crashed her car :S

Anyway, yeah Ill be looking at a diesel again. I did like my 140 tdi, had a good punch and was always looking to remap it but a house etc got in the way. So either the 140 or 170 I would be looking to get. If I get the 140 i would defiantly be looking into getting it mapped.
The petrol did cross my mind but the tax and consumption puts me off and the diesel torque is awesome.

skymaster
23-01-2012, 11:34 PM
I have owned a B6, B7 and now drive a B8 A4 (lets not mention a VW golf came in there somewhere too)...

I would advise you get a B8... Whereas the B7 was a very good yet marginal improvement on the B6 the B8 is a totally new car. It's in a totally different generation in so many ways. The interior on the B8s is bang up to date and way smarter than anything BMW has to offer.

All my A4s have been quattro, it's a great system and the only issue it has on tyres is that you can corner so much faster with it that you just wear them all out faster... and in an ideal world you should try to keep all four with equal tread and change them in fours rather than twos.

I do agree with those that still prefer the looks of a B7... the Sline ones look fantastic, really tight lines and a stunning car. I still have a real soft spot for them and rate my old one (S line SE 2.0T Q ) as being a totally fantastic car.

moptisam2
24-01-2012, 07:59 AM
I had a 54 plate B7. In my opinion, in driving terms the B7 was good and, in fact, if the money had not been available, I would have kept it. However, the money was there and I got a B8 2.0 SE with (almost) all the trimmings. It is a much more relaxing car to drive, I particularly like the hill-hold assist (a great tool here in Yorkshire). In fact, there is no comparison between the B7 and B8. It is a completely different car. I am now looking to get a new TDIe Technik. I don't think there's anything in the price-bracket to match the Audi.

P Smiddy
24-01-2012, 12:51 PM
I think now I have my heart set on the B8, as you have all said its a totally different car. Inside i'ts in a different class from the b7.
Been looking into it more and the bluetooth issue, is it a case the car has it but you have to go to audi to activate it for a few £££'s or is it available from the get go. Reading into the lighting pack I think it would be an option I would be looking out for. Is there anything else that I should be aiming to look for i.e hill hold does that come with the car as standard?

Thanks.

NickH A4
24-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Hill hold is an extra

gregpot2000
24-01-2012, 07:20 PM
HI There

I actually did exactly the same as you, B7 stolen in June 2011 (never recovered) and with the insurance money bought a B8.

Do I miss the B7? yes, but more from a sentimental point of view, it was a 57 reg, so one of the last and was my dad's company car from new, I bought from the leasing company as I had already driven it all over the country and knew it's full history.
I will accept the B8 is a better car, although there are a few things I miss from the B7, these are Bose speakers, Cruise control which only became standard from 10 plate models onwards IIRC? (it can be retrofitted, and I will at some point)
I also miss the acceleration, people who have owned both will know what I am talking about, with the B7 you put your foot down and you are pinned back into your seat for a few moments, until the power drops off. With the B8, in an effort to make it more refined, the power band is much wider, and drives much more like a petrol, so that you do still have some torque up to the red line, the downside of this is you don't get that surge of accerlation and it doesn't "feel" as fast even though it probably is.
Plus points of the B8? as said, a lot quieter, more refined, a much softer suspension so the ride is a lot more relaxing, I felt my B7 SE was a little hard and bumpy. a lot bigger inside as well so more comfortable, with things like an armrest as standard.

Something to bare in mind though if Ipods are your thing, with the B7 there were a whole host of adaptors for around £100 that simply plugged into the back. with most B8's you can only use the official Audi AMI (unless you have proper MMI) and this is around £400, and if you are really unlucky like me with an early model, you need a new stereo as well for around £200. Seems like a lot of money, but I the AMI is worth it once you have it, with full Ipod control from the stereo, and light years ahead of any B7 solution.

oh and just to add, the actual "Hill hold" is an extra, but they all come with a form of hill hold as standard, The B8 has an electronic handbrake that will automatically release for you once you have you biting point, this applies to any kind of hill you find yourself on, because the handbrake is no longer in your hands, the car will decide, and it will only release it once biting point is reached, and the car has enough force to move forward, therefore technically it should be impossible to roll back.

J_B204
24-01-2012, 09:29 PM
I think now I have my heart set on the B8, as you have all said its a totally different car. Inside i'ts in a different class from the b7.
Been looking into it more and the bluetooth issue, is it a case the car has it but you have to go to audi to activate it for a few £££'s or is it available from the get go. Reading into the lighting pack I think it would be an option I would be looking out for. Is there anything else that I should be aiming to look for i.e hill hold does that come with the car as standard?

Thanks.

As you can see from my sig I have the light pack - it does make the interior feel a little bit more special and, as it wasn't very expensive when the car was new shouldn't increase the second hand price too much I reckon.

As I have the technik it came with leather and sat nav (which I upgraded to the 3g Hard Drive version - well worth it if you can find one with it but I wouldn't necessarily pay too much of a premium. I know bluetooth came as standard on post MY2010 cars but can't for the life of me remember if it came as standard before that...I've not heard of you being able to activate it as whilst the software will have the coding for Bluetooth the car won't be fitted with the bluetooth module and so there is nothing to activate - I'm happy to be corrected though.

With regards to hill hold - I didn't spec it as I felt that the Electronic Parking Brake was more than enough. It is easy to apply and you can just drive off without deactivating it - I believe the hill hold simply applies the brakes when you are stationary to stop roll back.

Parking Sensors (I have the plus) as they make parking so much easier.

Oh and as already mentioned, AMI - the integration with the ipod is great.

But then again I would recommend all the extras I specced!!!!

Good hunting

moptisam2
24-01-2012, 11:03 PM
I would look for the Lighting Pack too. It just makes the car seems a bit more special.

As for hill-hold: Yes, until the new ones (B9?) come out in March it is an extra, but it's one I'm glad I got. While the car was in for something Audi lent me a B8 without hill-hold, just the electro-mechanical brake. Trying to get out of a junction, on a hill, at 5.30, in a queue, in the loan car and having to activate the brake (only by flicking a switch admittedly) every couple of yards as the queue of cars slowly moved forward made me glad I had specified hill-hold. If you don't have any hills where you live you may be OK without hill-hold, but in the example of the loan car, everytime I stopped I had to keep my foot on the footbrake until the brake engaged (shown by a symbol lighting up), once the symbol had lit up I knew that the brake was engaged and I could take my foot off. Compared to what I have to do with hill-hold, it was a real pain. Once I got out of that junction, I was screaming for my own car back.

In fact I was looking to replace my B8 a few months ago but didn't as hill-hold (even as an extra) was not available on the engine I wanted. Now it is, I'm getting another one, and definitely WITH hill-hold.

ScottyUK
25-01-2012, 01:03 AM
I know bluetooth came as standard on post MY2010 cars but can't for the life of me remember if it came as standard before that.

Jan 2009 - Bluetooth Low (inc roof aerial and dock) came as standard on Executive models

April 2009 - was the big change when basic "Handsfree" Bluetooth (no roof aerial connection or dock) became a £250 option for basic cars and £100 for SE and above.

July 2009 - now basic "Handsfree" was £250 for any model! (first MY2010 brochure)

Dec 2009 - now basic "Handsfree" Bluetooth was standard on all models except the base model
It's worth remembering that MY2010 cars were available from mid 2009....such as my 59 Reg.

I don't understand the latest brochure though as it shows it's on SE's standard and it appears it'sa £175 option on all models too ????

skymaster
25-01-2012, 01:31 AM
I mirror what others say about the 2.0 TDI engines. I had a loan 140 BHP TDI B8 last year and it felt much smoother than the older TDI's but nowhere near as powerful. Maybe someone can tell us the difference in these new generation 2.0 TDI engines, but they don't seem as punchy as before. Of course if you can stretch to it... a 3.0 v6 TDI still gives sensible MPG and is an awesome engine!

P Smiddy
25-01-2012, 12:55 PM
Hi folks, thought I had only one reply to read so it was a shock!
Really appreciate the comments.

******************First - I'm sorry for the size of this post****************

Good news, the insurance paid £7,500 for a car i paid £9,300 3 years ago so I cant complain. Looking into loans at the moment and go from there.

Have been looking at a few on the auto trader, this one stands out, has mainly what I'm looking for except the light pack and i take it when they say "hill start" they mean hill hold!

Saloon, Diesel, 6 Speed Manual, Metallic Grey Pearl Effect, Full Black Leather Seats, Cruise Control, Recently Serviced At Main Dealer, Bluetooth, LED Lights, Xenon Headlights, Headlight Washers, Bluetooth, 18" Alloy Wheels, Fog Lights, Chrome Twin Exhaust, Auto Headlights, Auto Wipers, Auto Opening Boot, ESP, Sports Suspension, Lumbar Support, ISOFIX Rear Seats, Front And Side Airbags, Alarm, Immobiliser, Leather Multi-Function Steering Wheel, Electric Front And Rear Windows, Key Operated Windows, Electric Heated Mirrors, 3-Zone Climate Control, Air-Conditioning, Remote Central Locking, 2 Keys, Folding Rear Seats, Audi Drivers Information System, Electric Parking Brake, Hill Start, Intelligent Key, Front And Rear Armrest, MP3 Compatibility, 6 CD Changer, SD Card Slot, AUX-IN Socket, 10 Speakers, Subwoofer, Auto-Dimming Rear-View Mirror, Black Headlining, Storage Pack, New Front Brakes, Toolkit, First Aid Kit, Excellent Fuel Economy, Service History, MOT Until End July 2012, Taxed Until End May, HPI Clear, Showroom Condition, Well Maintained, Cheapest New Shape A4 In Grey In the Country, A Must See, Priced To Sell, Please Call For Further Details. £13,455.

Seems ok, there is a silver and a red one too but they have the light pack and parking sensors but no bluetooth so ill either need to juggle or price it from Audi to get the missing option fitted £££££.

The only thing that took me a bit with the last comments there is the punch seems to be missing from the more refined engine, that's what I loved about my b7. On the remap side there ain't much on the b8, is it a no no or are people happy with the 140?

Thanks again.

Sorry again for the huge post.

Thanks.

skymaster
25-01-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm not sure what the weight difference is between B7 and B8... But in my opinion the TDI 2.0 engines don't seem as punchy in the B8s. The B8 also seems less fast due to general refinement and smoothness. I recently bought a 3.0 TDI and it doesn't seem blisteringly fast when you drive it. But watch the numbers on the digital speed readout rise and you know it's quick. You just don't feel it in your body as much.

Test drive a few, I would certainly look for a 170 if performance is important.

P Smiddy
25-01-2012, 01:22 PM
I have been looking at the performance figures and the b7 and b8 are the same, its maybe what you are saying about the refinement gives you that impression at its not that fast because the kick is more subtle.
My partner has a mini and she does not drive it fast but I give it a kick now and again to clear her particulate filter (That's my excuse anyway) and it did have a nice kick when the turbo took over, but a recent visit to mini caused the cars brain/cpu to be changed and there is no kick, but it is still as fast, seems more refined and the kick as been blended in better. Could be the case with the B8.

I am trying to look for 170's its just they are few and far between. On auto trader there are only around 3 or 4 b8 s line's in my price range with decent miles, so I think I would be lucky to get a 170 :(

skymaster
25-01-2012, 01:41 PM
Yea, the 170s are highly desirable cars, anything that gives good performance and great MPG is in demand. I remember years ago when the first VAG PD TDI engines came out, the 130s and 150s etc etc... they had a wollop of torque and felt really really fast. Unless i am looking back with rose tinted specs the more modern TDIs have ditched this in favor or a smoother more refined feel. I think you can re map a 170 to 190 or there abouts...

P Smiddy
25-01-2012, 02:09 PM
I am I supposed still an inexperienced driver at 24 but I have had the chance to dive a lot of cars and I know what you means about that hit you get which gives you that buzz of power but what more can I ask for, its a great engine with amazing fuel economy a remap to get it up a bit, nothing too drastic i.e intercoolers etc ha ha. I inquired about getting my b7 mapped and the guy said we can take this engine to 300! so there is room for power i just don't want to waste the car, 170 - 190 would be nice.

Thanks.

J_B204
25-01-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks to Scotty for pointing out that MY2010 were available from 2009!! I did know that...honest...!!

On the whole PD vs Common Rail debate - I have zero experience of the older engine (in Audis but do have some of the same engine in Golfs) - would say that in all that I've read, those that have driven both back to back or have done some comparison of figures, have generally said that the whilst the "feeling" of acceleration is more brutal in the old engines the newer ones deliver at least the same level of performance with the added bonus that, due to the wider power band, the in-gear pick up is better over a larger RPM spread, necessitating fewer gear changes.

Cue one of the more technically adept forum members to post figures showing the older engines have a broader power band! And just been on Parkers and the BHP/Torque figures are the same for the 170 engine (both PD and Common Rail)

P Smiddy
17-02-2012, 10:32 AM
Hello again folks!

Sorry for the late updated, finally I have found a car but its 270 miles away but I'm certain its the one I'm looking for.
All this hoo haa about Bluetooth high and low still confuses me but I think I've figured it out, well the basics of it.

I've noticed the a4's with the sharkfin aerial have in the centre arm rest a square gold contact plate, I'm assuming this is Bluetooth high and you get a cradle to match your phone plug in and away you go? The car I'm looking at has the bang & olufsen sound system, I know they are up there with the best but don't know what they are like in the audi or if you get anything extra.

Just thought I will keep you all updated, fingers crossed it all goes well and I should have it for Wednesday!

Thanks.

NickH A4
17-02-2012, 11:20 AM
I went for phone prep low and I have the sharkfin aerial and the armrest mount, had to buy the cradle separately but it all works fine.

P Smiddy
17-02-2012, 02:50 PM
Had a wee look into that and I was mistaken the Bluetooth low is as you said with the aerial etc. Had a look on the audi site and its basically you can view contacts etc on the screen plus charges the phone and gives you the better signal.
If you don't mind me asking Nick how much was the cradle?

Thanks.

NickH A4
17-02-2012, 05:40 PM
If you don't mind me asking Nick how much was the cradle?

IIRC it was around £140 from the dealer

Nick

John140
18-02-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm not sure what the weight difference is between B7 and B8... But in my opinion the TDI 2.0 engines don't seem as punchy in the B8s. The B8 also seems less fast due to general refinement and smoothness. I recently bought a 3.0 TDI and it doesn't seem blisteringly fast when you drive it. But watch the numbers on the digital speed readout rise and you know it's quick. You just don't feel it in your body as much.

Test drive a few, I would certainly look for a 170 if performance is important.
I went from the PD engined B7 TDI 140 to the now common-rail TDI 143 engine. I admit that it does seem to have less grunt at first, but I think the reality is that the power is delivered in a different and more flexible way than the old car which had a very peaky power delivery that a lot of people liked.

Regarding the TDI 170, I had one as a loan car the other day, I didn't really see a great deal of difference between my TDI 143 round town, but I never had chance to do any motorway work.

P Smiddy
19-02-2012, 01:43 AM
Sorted, I'm picking the car up on Wednesday can't wait. It's the 143 engine tho but nothing a remap can't sort!

Only 1 small issue I have with it. The car I'm going for has the Bluetooth low because it has the aerial so all I would do is buy the cradle but for some reason when I looked at the interior picture today there is a parrot kit installed!?!? Anyone know why this could be the case, I've been thinking maybe the previous owners phone was not compatible with the cradle hence the parrot kit. Any ideas?

Thanks again.

jakerade
19-02-2012, 09:28 AM
i wouldnt bother with the cradle - they don't have very many different cradles and most of them are out of date unless you have an iphone. I just put my phone in the corner of the dashboard and the signal is sufficient.

No idea why it would have a parrot though...

P Smiddy
19-02-2012, 10:22 AM
No bother, I've only just got my phone so it may be up to date, I checked the compatibility and it was fine. I just like the idea that its getting charged aswell without all the wires but ill see how it goes and get rid of the parrot kit. It seems pointless because you will get no info on the screen or steering controls with it.....so confused.

Cheers.

rd1
19-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Are you sure that it has Bluetooth? mine has the aerial but not the Bluetooth, I think the aerial in my case is to do with the MMI /sat nav

P Smiddy
19-02-2012, 11:12 AM
I'm sure all the b8's come with Bluetooth, I read it on the Audi site. Each car should have 1 of 3 types Standard, Low which has the external aerial and high which allows for more controll with maps etc. Anyone else know about this?

Does your car and small square gold plates on the floor of the arm rest because that's for the Bluetooth low and you connect the cradle.

Thanks.

jakerade
19-02-2012, 11:21 AM
if it has the cradle adapter i would have thought it would have bluetooth low (what year is it?). If it hasnt you can someone to retrofit the factory kit, fit the kufatec module (http://www.fiscon-mobile.eu/) or use the audi rsap adapter in bluetooth mode (a bit flakey but might be worth a shot)

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-AUDI-BLUETOOTH-REMOTE-SIM-ACCESS-PROFILE-RSAP-MOBILE-PHONE-ADAPTOR-/190625643797?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item2c622c7d15#ht_1800wt_1163.

Dont get carried away trying to get rsap to work (aka bluetooth high) as its a waste of time unless you have a nokia phone (E71 works ok). I have no idea why audi are perusing RSAP in all their new cars as very few phone manufacturers actually make phones with this technology now so customers are just going to be disappointed when their iphone wont allow google maps to show on the sat nav. Its bonkers really...

P Smiddy
19-02-2012, 11:42 AM
It's an 08 s line mate, I'm probably assuming it has Bluetooth low because I've not saw in the armrest but after reading the info from the Audi site its basically pointing to it because of this aerial the source of the problems.
I'm just confused because Audi say the b8 comes with some sort of Bluetooth as standard. I was in an a4 with the aerial and it had the adaptor plates in the armrest just can't figure out why the parrot kit is sitting on the dash.
I know this sounds petty but I would really like to control the phone from the wheel along with seeing the information on the screen.

Thanks.

jakerade
19-02-2012, 11:46 AM
Bluetooth only became standard in the last couple of years so wont be standard on an 08. Before you had to spec either bluetooth low or high.

P Smiddy
19-02-2012, 12:02 PM
Ah right, well ill maybe need to look into getting a retro fit for the Bluetooth low. If it has the plates I'm winning if not ill look into that module.

Thanks a lot folks, seriously quick answers for an annoying question.

jakerade
19-02-2012, 12:06 PM
there are plenty of people on here who could do this for you. A8 Tech and Crasher spring to mind if you are in the northerly direction. You dont need to retrofit the cradle mount

P Smiddy
19-02-2012, 12:11 PM
Brilliant, well I'm picking the car up from Nottingham so once I'm there ill see what's what and ill drop a line to the a8 tech and crasher.

Thanks folks!

Guest 2
19-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Crasher is actually based in Nottingham, give him a visit or PM him :)

http://www.candrenterprises.co.uk/

P Smiddy
20-02-2012, 11:01 AM
Had a look on the Fiscon site and to be honest it went right over my head, not even sure of what I'm looking for. I'll contact Crasher and hopefully when I pick the car up I can drop in so he can see whats going on and what I'll need but getting the job done will be another I think.

Thanks again folks for this info that I know would have taken me a lifetime to find out.

P Smiddy
21-02-2012, 10:50 AM
Right folks, spoke to Crasher and he said I should nip in and see him later on Wednesday.

It's been a long thread and it should be well and truly done by Wednesday night.
I'm driving down today and staying at a hotel then picking the car up the next day. Anyone got any tips on what to look out for apart from the obvious?

Thanks

jakerade
21-02-2012, 11:02 AM
if its a lowered s-line eg the factory lowered, look for tyre wear on the insides especially the rear. fuel flap not opening is a common failure and i would also look for any misting in the headlights

P Smiddy
23-02-2012, 06:38 PM
Hello folks, at last I have the car.

Only had it a day and I love it, its 10 times the car my b7 was.
Only 2 issues so far, 1 is that the headlight nozzles have popped of so i get a fountain which is useless so im waiting on them coming in and 2 at lower speeds it sounds like a bearing is away at the rear, BUT my b7 done the same until I changed tire make so dont know if the b8 suffers from the same problem.

Now the cheese bit.

Would like to say thanks to everyone who commented on my thread and you have led me to buy this car, very quick answers and advice so thanks a lot.

Cheers.

MFGF
23-02-2012, 06:58 PM
BUT my b7 done the same until I changed tire make so dont know if the b8 suffers from the same problem.

Yep - the B8s do it too, and the A6 C6s...

Congratulations on the new car! Where are the pictures? :)

P Smiddy
23-02-2012, 07:07 PM
Ideal that's a relief.

Was going to take pictures today but the 280mile drive does not have her looking her best so once its cleaned ill get pics up.

drmartin
25-02-2012, 03:37 PM
Remember that the sline is a harder drive and, internal equipment wise, not that different.

I have to disagree on both counts here, the ride in the S line, with 18inh wheels and full Sline drop is much better, not firmer, but more controlled that then the SE, I've driven a considerable number of miles in SE and Sline and for me, dislike the SE setup, its too woolly.

Equipment, every surface you touch in the S line is different, steering wheel, gear knob, seats. Combine that with a more engaging ride makes the S line a much more rewarding car to drive..

My thoughts, but S line is worth the premium. I'm 43, no boy racer, but like a good drive.

M

ScottyUK
26-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Not sure how "full Sline drop" is not firmer than an SE? Perhaps it's just word symantics?

SE - standard suspension
S-line - standard (20mm drop) "sport suspension"
S-line - optional (30mm drop) "S-line suspension" (I assume this is what drmartin means with "fulldrop")

I found the SE too soft/"wooly". It simply didn't feel controlled enough.
S-line Sport suspenson - (I had one for 6 months) I found it a bit jittery on certain surfaces. i.e. it was sometimes too firm and over dampened. Then when pushing on hard I felt it needed to be firmer. I kept thinking it needs progressive springs or if they were not matched properly. I'm not sure if it was the springs or the shocks. For me it just didn't seem to be ideal for the varying roads around whee I live.
"S-line supension" - I've not driven it but since the travel is less due to the extra 10mm lowering then I'd assume it's a bit firmer?

So no ideal solution for me then ? Not quite. The Dynamic Suspension reacts to conditions, goes softer than Sports Suspension and firmer too. Yeah there's a premium to be paid but it does give you multiple cars in one. Really works for me :)

S-line care or SE car comes down to a number of things including if you want the styling, Xenons, etc etc. There's not a car that meets everyones needs hence the choice. We are still all individuals aren't we?

J_B204
26-02-2012, 11:40 AM
Agree completely, for me it was more important getting the more powerful tdi and quattro but the budget wouldn't stretch to s-line especially as the technic pack was available.

Don't drive fast enough to appreciate the s-line suspension and comfort was more important to me.

Each to his (or her) own

P Smiddy
26-02-2012, 03:45 PM
Hi there, hope this helps.

I've done the jump from b7 to b8 and I feel that the b8 s line is a hell of a lot smoother than the b7 but in the corners it does not sway or tilt as much as the b7, clearly a good setup from Audi this time.
The suspension on mine is the dropped version ( I assume ) because I parked next to an s line yesterday and mine was no doubt lower. I like the ride in the s line seems to cancel out quite a lot of bumps etc in the b8. The only problem I have had was getting a standard garage jack under it! Had to bounce the car :S

Feemy82
29-02-2012, 03:33 PM
Hello P Smiddy.

I feel your pain brother. I too had my much loved Audi A4 (W reg) stolen a few weeks ago and am in the process of buying a replacement used car.

I'm lookng at the 2.0T FSI S-Line purely because it's 4WD and has more grunt than my previous 1.8. I am not a big fan of diesel engines.

If I were you I would go for the B8 which is the one I am looking to buy. It has a much nicer interior than the B7.

Having said that, you should have a couple of pints and then go to the audi showroom and get yourself a 2012 A4. Goddam they are sexy! I went to the local audi showroom yesterday to get a sneak preview, and I just didn't want to leave that place! :D

However my budget only stretches to £13k so if anyone is looking to sell their B8 saloon with the above specs, I would be a keen purchaser!!

Go for the B8.

P Smiddy
01-03-2012, 01:04 AM
How you doing Feemy82, I eventually got a car. Went for a b8 2.0tdi s line with the b&o sound system. Absolutely love the car and the interior is miles better than the b7.

Sorry to elhear about your car, I was absolutely gutted when mine was stolen and ever worse found round the corner crashed :(. So happy with the car I got and its basically down to this forum that I never chose a b7 again.

Hope things work out for you, I got my car from the used car warehouse, great guys to deal with never tried to sell the car just said let us know if you like it and want to go for it.