PDA

View Full Version : Suspect turbo fault

markgrff17
20-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Hi everyone

firstly a happy new year to you all.

i have a 1999 1.8t (engine code AEB with 130,000 mile showing) and suspect i have an issue with the turbo charger.
the car seem to lack power and there is a slight rattling noise coming from the turbo area.

i have compression test the engine and it is producing 13bar + from each cylinder.
we have owned the car for 2 years and it has alway been this way. the link pipe between the turbo and the intercooler always has oil in it, so i suspect the turbo oil seals are leaking.

could anyone reccommend some simple checks to carry out please.

many thanks ......... mark

996jimbo
20-01-2012, 01:16 PM
You could take the air hose off the turbo and see if there is any play in the turbo armature?

gresty
21-01-2012, 10:58 AM
Had the same experience on my old 1.8 turbo where the waste gate actuator was buggered and chattering about not doing its job. Had lack of power and a rattle on tickover. Had turbo reconditioned at midland turbo Nottingham (collection and delivery included) and when refitted went like a rocket. A massive difference was noticed.

If you can move the actuator rod on the turbo it's shot and not working.

Hope you get it sorted. :-)

scotty33
22-01-2012, 10:45 PM
I've heard of broken wires just at the back of the connector plug for the N75 boost control valve causing low boost issues. would not explain the rattling, but prob worth peeling back the rubber boot, before whipping the turbo off?!!

markgrff17
28-01-2012, 09:46 PM
hi everyone

thanks for your replies, i've being doing a little investigating this week. removed all the induction pipework, found the turbo turning freely but it has quite a bit of radial movement the n75 valve looks to working as it should.
i have identified that the over run valve (dump valve) is not functioning and will not hold any vacuum. so i think i am losing all my boost pressure through the dump valve diapragm!

i have managed to win a genuine vw item from ebay for just 9.99, so i will up date the thread once it has arrived and been fitted

cheers........ mark