PDA

View Full Version : MFD showing large speed read out

SBJ
18-01-2012, 09:25 PM
Hello,

Yesterday I ordered a new 2.0TDI 140 SE Estate and have a question for fellow owners:

As per the Youtube videos I've seen of other B7 VW's, how do you get the BIG speed readout on the display?

http://youtu.be/WHpg-F_D-o0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLMBrLP-PY&feature=related

I know the above are LHD, and I know the UK MFD does have a small digital speed readout showing kph, but these videos are displaying a very large readout just like my previous Audi A5 and it seems the B7 VW can do this. These aren't the colour screens, they are the basic 'highline' MFD. There are other videos showing the UK style smaller kph readout too, so I assume its a mode to switch the screens.

Went to the dealer this afternoon and they didn't know how to get this displayed and I spend 10 minutes playing with the MFD settings and couldn't get it. VW UK weren't sure either.

I've got VAGCOM/VDS cable so am hoping there are several hidden options that can be switched on. Can someone share how this can be activated? Any ideas?

Thanks!

SBJ
18-01-2012, 10:25 PM
More research, I have found the Colour Display spec shows an option for displaying "Digital Speed" and also the ability to turn the Hill Hold on by default.

http://youtu.be/GuhTG4HCjsc

pauldoherty
18-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Yes, you can only have the large readout when you spec the colour MFD I believe. I miss this feature, as I always used it in my A4

Issac Hunt
18-01-2012, 11:05 PM
Ty changing the country code in the instrument cluster with VCDS. I did that with my Octavia to get this feature.

SBJ
18-01-2012, 11:05 PM
If you look at the videos on my first post, they are not the colour MFD but the standard one. Seems the screen can display it, just need to turn the feature on somehow (anyone know the bit in VDCS?)

SBJ
18-01-2012, 11:45 PM
When you changed the country code, what other side effects did it cause? I still want the needle to point at the correct MPH on the right, and still want MPG readings :)

I've not got the Passat yet, but ideally would love the big MPH speed display without the gamble of spending £165 for the colour MFD option. Based on the Youtube videos, I'm starting to conclude the RHD models have the "Digital Speed" option missing from the user menu configuration options, where as the LHD's have this. Also can the hill hold be configured to be on by default on the standard MFD or is that too an VDCS tweek?

Here's a video (LHD + colour) showing the speed menu option: http://youtu.be/GuhTG4HCjsc 25 seconds in.

Issac Hunt
19-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Didn't cause any problems on my car.

Hugh Jend
30-01-2012, 12:48 PM
Hello,

Yesterday I ordered a new 2.0TDI 140 SE Estate and have a question for fellow owners:

As per the Youtube videos I've seen of other B7 VW's, how do you get the BIG speed readout on the display?

http://youtu.be/WHpg-F_D-o0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVLMBrLP-PY&feature=related

I know the above are LHD, and I know the UK MFD does have a small digital speed readout showing kph, but these videos are displaying a very large readout just like my previous Audi A5 and it seems the B7 VW can do this. These aren't the colour screens, they are the basic 'highline' MFD. There are other videos showing the UK style smaller kph readout too, so I assume its a mode to switch the screens.

Went to the dealer this afternoon and they didn't know how to get this displayed and I spend 10 minutes playing with the MFD settings and couldn't get it. VW UK weren't sure either.

I've got VAGCOM/VDS cable so am hoping there are several hidden options that can be switched on. Can someone share how this can be activated? Any ideas?

Thanks!

I'm in the same boat as you (just deciding if it's worth going to the Sport, as I have a decent sat nav).
No one seems to be able to tell me just what the advantages are (as a mere driver) of the colour display, against the standard MFD.
That said..the auto hold (instead of cocking about with the one on my current Passat) may be worthwhile.

SBJ
30-01-2012, 06:37 PM
I spoke to VW Customer Services last week and they confirmed it is only a colour screen you get with this paid extra. The Passat already has the 'highline' computer so there an no additional setup features and they have fed back my comments to Sales & Marketing about the description being misleading.

I decided to save £160 as colour is simply a nice to have feature. Looking at youtube vidoes, the dashboard has white backlights which will match the mono computer display. Whilst the colour display has cleaner looking numbers, I also thought it's screen was much too bright for night driving although I expect it can be dimmed.

Not sure I understand your comment about the auto hill hold as its a standard feature on the SE model I've ordered.

Hugh Jend
31-01-2012, 06:24 PM
I spoke to VW Customer Services last week and they confirmed it is only a colour screen you get with this paid extra. The Passat already has the 'highline' computer so there an no additional setup features and they have fed back my comments to Sales & Marketing about the description being misleading.

I decided to save £160 as colour is simply a nice to have feature. Looking at youtube vidoes, the dashboard has white backlights which will match the mono computer display. Whilst the colour display has cleaner looking numbers, I also thought it's screen was much too bright for night driving although I expect it can be dimmed.

Not sure I understand your comment about the auto hill hold as its a standard feature on the SE model I've ordered.

Cheers for this.
I understand that you can set up the autohold within the MFD (on the colour one), instead of having the button to the left of the gear lever.

On speaking to a guy from VW today, he wouldn't advise paying the extra for the colour MFD.

SBJ
31-01-2012, 06:39 PM
You managed to get more information out of VW than me. I asked that very question and was told no addtional setup was possible!

I'll use Vagcom to make the hill hold default to on instead :)

Hugh Jend
31-01-2012, 06:54 PM
You managed to get more information out of VW than me. I asked that very question and was told no addtional setup was possible!

I'll use Vagcom to make the hill hold default to on instead :)

I'm sure that I read that on here.....to be honest the guy that i was talking to wasn't bad...

SBJ
18-03-2012, 07:23 PM
Picked up my B7 2.0 TDI SE and the auto hill hold retains its last used mode i.e if you turn it on, it stays on at next restart.

Now wanting to know how to get the passenger mirror to dip when reversing, and how to get the mirrors to fold when locking/unlocking the car. Haven't found anything yet.

bertj
18-03-2012, 08:46 PM
Unless you specified folding/dipping mirrors when you ordered the car, they don't! It's a factory order and the price of fitting them later is ludicrous (about £1,000)
BTW, not sure what you mean about auto hold 'remembering' its last mode; mine always works

SBJ
18-03-2012, 08:55 PM
I spec'd my SE with electric folding mirrors, and would like them to fold/open when locking/unlocking the car from the remote. This isn't rocket science since many other VAG modes can do this.

Regarding Hill Hold, not all models retain the last mode of operation. Example, my Audi A5 didn't and would reset so you had to press the button everytime you started the car. My Passat does know you turned it on the last time you drove the car and remembers :)

thanks

bertj
19-03-2012, 09:48 AM
AFAIK the mirrors will only fold when you use the interior switch. There's no facility for them to fold/unfold when locking/unlocking the car. As I said before there's no option to switch the system on/off.

SBJ
19-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Hoping it it's possible via Vagcom as many functions can be enabled, and I'm sure the Passat CC has this feature as do the Skoda Superbs.

Same for reverse dipping mirror, just need the adaptation codes. If the physical hardware isn't present then I'll admit defeat.

Thanks

johnloaderuk
23-03-2012, 10:00 PM
Personally I'm glad my mirrors don't fold automatically when locking/unlocking as I have to stop in front of my garage, fold mirrors in (manually, unfortunately), then drive in to the garage. It's too tight a fit to drive into the garage with the mirrors unfolded, and if they unfolded when I unlocked when in the garage it I wouldn't be able to drive out of the garage.

aido
09-06-2012, 03:03 PM
As has been mentioned, I changed my CC this week via VCDS to go into the instrument module and change the region to Rest of World from UK, and then you'll get the new option for the digital MPH on the display - by default my consumption read out changed so I just changed it back to MPG via the MFD :)