PDA

View Full Version : Egr or throttle valve flap?

phantomdox
17-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Got two fault codes on my A3 BKD 2006 and the engine management light is on.
Been told its the EGR valve or throttle valve.
Any ideas guys ?? Having looked on eBay etc I see it comes in two parts the egr and the throttle flap.
Which would be the best bet , the egr being the dearest option

Any help would be great

phil miller
17-01-2012, 11:32 PM
if it was me id get a proper code read on VCDS done and then you will know what part you need, the throttle flap unit costs about £200 for GSF and it is fairly common TBH

phantomdox
18-01-2012, 11:33 AM
if it was me id get a proper code read on VCDS done and then you will know what part you need, the throttle flap unit costs about £200 for GSF and it is fairly common TBHthanks for that Phil, the codes are coming up as P2100 and P2101, does that mean anything to u???

phil miller
18-01-2012, 07:28 PM
The P2100 is a generic code and the meaning is 'Throttle actuator control motor circuit open' and P2101 means Throttle actuator control motor circuit range performance

to me that says you need to look at/replace your throttle flap, the link snaps inside if iirc, like i said above they cost about £200 from GSF

Crasher
18-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Check fuse 8 on the under bonnet fuse box, if it has blown, replace the flap motor.

http://i222.photobucket.com/albums/dd20/Crasher1964/038128063L-714393260regflap.jpg

Telnez
05-06-2013, 12:58 PM
Crasher, i've got a 2006 VW Passat 2.0 tdi and have recently changed the throttle body because of the same fault codes. The engine warning light is still showing and for some reason i do not have a fuse 8 in my fuse box. I've checked all the fuses and they are ok.
Any ideas

Crasher
05-06-2013, 06:37 PM
That is because it is a Passat, what is your engine code, BKP? Do you have fault code reading/clearing equipment?

Hayat
16-10-2013, 12:07 AM
Hi, I also have a b6 (56) Passat 170tdi and took it into VW dealers (Smith Knight Fay) to investigate an intermittent warning light Engine fault - garage and flashing coil light. This goes off when I restart the engine and the gap between it coming on is approx. 2/3 weeks. SKF came back with the following diagnosis: Exhaust emission flap and egr are covered with carbon and are sticking. To clean it would cost me around £280 but this may not rectify the problem I may need new parts and this would then need to be mapped to the ecu. the cost for the parts and labour is in excess of £300. Can someone please explain is this a common problem and how long would this have had to be going-on to get into this state? Is there a remedy/fix for this outside of the dealership? Also my MOT is coming up and if emissions are not right then I could be looking at a potential failure. However all the things I have stated above - the car drives normal, no misfiring, bad starting etc. I have kept the service up to date with the same dealer. Would appreciate any advise. Hayat Passat tdi170

Crasher
16-10-2013, 01:34 PM
Hello Hayat. Before committing myself to an answer I would need the fault codes that the dealer retrieved when they interrogated your cars engine ECU. All modern TDI cars from all manufacturers do get horrendously blocked up with EGR and oil deposits and apart from not driving the car, there is nothing you can do legally speaking to prevent or reduce this build up over time.