PDA

View Full Version : Ht Lead Arcing

CloggsA6
25-07-2007, 07:15 PM
I posted a thread here not so long ago regarding an A6 2.4 misfire.

I have arrived home from Scotland and decided to have a look myself and this is what I found.

No 4 HT lead ( adjacent to oil filler cap) had an orange coloured plastic cover around it. ( part no. 078 905 448 ) When the engine was running, there was clearly visble a spark arcing between the HT lead and the cylinder/plug tube.

I removed the orange cover - which is a simple push on - and still it sparks. This spark obviously coincides with the misfire.

Am I missing something simple or has the lead's insulation broken down and I need a new one.

Bought a No4 lead from Audi £30 !! (per lead)...... misfire gone.

Sadly this was the straw that broke the camel's back, because along with the expense of changing front suspension components, sticking windows, rust running from roof guttering and 113k miles, I have p/ex'd it for a Toyota Landcruiser. Wanted another A6A but the combination of used costs against mileage was prohibitive. There are great ones out there but the prices are mad!

I'm still in the VW Audi family as I have a 55 Leon Tdi but my A6 days appear to have ended.

Happy motoring :beerchug: :outtahere