PDA

View Full Version : Total power failure and near death

TopherGeorge
16-01-2012, 02:53 PM
So my Audi saga continues, this time however is the final straw. I very nearly was forced into a round about head on into the barrier with no steering or breaks travelling at 70mph.

So after a a series of complaints about my car, including a mysterious ticking noise that comes form the instrument cluster last night I had a total power failure. Travelling on an A road into braintree, I clicked the nav button on the steering wheel and all the lights flash at double brightness and the car switches itself off. In the mean time I was travelling at 70mph and travelling towards a roundabout. I lost the ability to steer and breaking. The car remained off for around 5 seconds until the car finally restarted giving me just enough time to make an emergency stop!

The diagnostic team came round today to find that the car has a number of quite serious faults, including massive communication problems between the cars systems, not least of all it would appear that if I did crash last night none of the air bags would of even deployed.

I went from highly recommending this car and staring in Audis own promotional videos to really wanting to say stay away, this car seems to have epic electronics problems.

Guest 2
16-01-2012, 03:01 PM
Not good!!

If something like that happened I wouldnt be driving the car again or letting anyone else drive it incase it happens again.

This sort of thing is why I'm wondering do I buy a C7 now, or do I wait another 12 months until everything is ironed out with a new model?

Did they say what would of caused the power loss?

Hope all is sorted out swiftly.

TopherGeorge
16-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Well I have told them I do expect a new car!!! I will not drive that car again. The bit that really bugs me is I have been giving them key clues for month, they have been too thick to put the dots together. It's taken one of the Audi breakdown team to diagnose the problem. Why did I have to wait until I almost drove into a steel barrier!

I am fuming and have told Audi as much. Apparently I'm only the second A6 that needed Audi break down to rescue it though. So the car doenst really fail, but when it does it almost kills you!

Has anyone else has this kind of experience. I do hope not.

robbyg
16-01-2012, 11:35 PM
Bad news.

What was the problem? You say audi breakdown have diagnosed it?

I know its scary when the engine fails but the brakes do still work but without vacuum assistance, you just need to push the pedal MUCH harder, same with the steering. I wouldn't want it to happen at any speed like it did for you. No excuses on a £40 - 50k new motor.

Hope they sort you out soon. What engine/spec do you have?

rob

TopherGeorge
16-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Still in the process of being fully diagnosed, waiting for Audi to get back to me. Aye there is braking but at that speed I wasn't winning any time soon.

I'll keep the forum posted in what went so wrong. Any history of other audis even older ones failing in this way?

MFGF
17-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Yikes! That's a horrible situation to be in George! I'm really glad you (and your car) made it through intact!

I haven't heard of any other cases like this, and I have been around on this (and other) forums for a few years now. It sounds like your particular car has some major issues, and I would be very nervous of driving it again if I was you. I suspect Audi will be very keen to help you regain confidence in the brand.

Good luck!

MF.

TopherGeorge
17-01-2012, 07:06 PM
I must say I'm glad to hear this has not happened to anyone else with
The brand. The car is currently with Audi in Essex. Due to the strange nature of the faults Audi Uk test engineers are working on the car from the HQ to try and solve the problem. Talk at the moment is of a repair but I really do not want this car back, it would be like getting back on a plane that you knew almost crashed, would you really fly on it again even if it had been patched up. When I have more light I will let you all know. On the plus side this is defiantly the first such case that Audi UK and Audi Germany have had with the A6 or A7.lets hope it's the only case.

man le-mans
17-01-2012, 07:25 PM
Glad to hear you was ok and stop the car safe as we all know it could have been very bad and more so if other cars was involved. The thing is would Audi or any make tell you of such bad problems. I once had a problem with a new fiat van 3 weeks old a few years back which stopped the brakes working went it rained hard as water got into the servo. Fiat refused there was a problem and i refused to drive the van. It turn out they had change the braking system and my van had missed some plate that stopped the water getting in

TopherGeorge
17-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Well I do hope that they acknowledge this problem. I have made it clear to them that if they do end up giving me the same car and I have a similar problem I won't stop short of suing Audi AG. Prob is even if they give it back to me I have totally lost all faith in the car.

man le-mans
18-01-2012, 12:37 PM
yes and that is understandable and i was the same when ever it rained. like you tho i was doing 70 on a dual carriageway and coming upto a roundabout and was so very lucky the roundabout was clear. Must have looked like something from a rally course, i was pulling the hand brake and slowing down through the gears. i parked it up over the other side of the roundabout and once the smell of <removed> had gone i phoned Fiat and refused to drive the van and explain it to them. They said can i slowly drive it back to dealers work shop ( you can guess what i said)

TopherGeorge
20-01-2012, 10:49 PM
So Audi are still investigated. They have said there is a problem but can't find what it is. The car has now gone home with a senior technician. Not looking good for the car.

Brycie
20-01-2012, 11:51 PM
Like the others said, glad to hear you managed to avoid an accident.

Didn't I read somewhere on the forum that this is what happened when the piezo injectors failed on the Passats? That the car just shut down causing the PAS and servo assisted braking to pack up? Not they're necessarily related, but the question was asked if there were any other similar cases.

I really hope you do get a replacement & not just a repair job. Tell them you often take your kids/nieces & nephews out in it, that may put a little more pressure on them possibly.

zis76
21-01-2012, 11:02 PM
Wish you all the best; hope you get looked after by Audi. Will be watching your updates closely as have recently ordered a new A6!

TopherGeorge
02-02-2012, 02:59 PM
Can you believe it I am still waiting for audi to make a decision, in the mean time the advert i filmed for the car has been uploaded under Anthony. I am really annoyed now, firstly as I told audi I didnt want the video of me endorsing the car up, and secondly for them taking this long to sort myself out. If they give me a new car do you think it would be unreasonable to ask them for a few options thrown in considering the stress they have caused me!

http://www.audi.co.uk/new-cars/a6/a6-saloon/mtr/meet-the-a6-saloon/drivers-review.html

EssexGonzo
06-02-2012, 03:40 PM
Can you formally reject it? If under 6 months old and is not fit for purpose (which appears to be the case!!), try this:

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/consumer-rights/

If you get a hint of rejection from Audi, try talking about the Sales of Goods Act......

TopherGeorge
20-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Well so this saga is finally coming to an end. Audi ave indeed determined that my car is dangerous and it's being replaced. So that's the end of my Audi A6 SE 2.0tdi. My new car is currently on the production line. I'm waiting to take delivery of a new S Line with tech package, heated seats, storage pack and lightin pack. Please of anyone has issues with their
Car do get it checked out. I hope I was the single unlucky A6.

robbyg
20-02-2012, 10:06 AM
good news in the end then at least! Good to hear they are doing the right thing.

Have you found out what the actual problem was?

TopherGeorge
20-02-2012, 01:14 PM
No Audi never actually told me. That worries me a bit. They have assured
Me my car won't go back on the road and will become a test mule. All rather worrying really.