PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Dual Zone Climate control not working correctly

nice red GTi
15-01-2012, 11:06 AM
Hi All (belated happy new year!),

I have a 2006 A4 2.0 TDi S-Line (Dolphin Grey for all those who like to know the colour).
I've owned the car for 2 years with no problems what-so-ever, until yesterday!

I seem to have 2 problems:

The main one is that the Drivers side heater is only blowing cold, this despite being set to hot! This only started this week. I've tried playing with all of the settings (auto, having the blowers on and off, upping the temp lowering the temp etc). The passenger side works fine just not the drivers side. I've read on some other forums (golf etc) that people suggest checking the plugs under the seats (not sure why that would be the case) all I can think off is that I did push a parcel under the seat when parking up the other day (too lazy to get out and put in the boot).
Is there any fuses ?I can check, or is it likely to be a sticking air distribution flap or something. Note on turning the ignition key on there has always been a lot of motor noise from the dash (not motors labouring but just general whirring).

The second problem, may not actually be a problem but I never feel the heater in the Audi is as good as my other car (a basic 1997 Polo - which at full temp is like sitting in a Suana!). It does get very warm but not hot (less of a problem for me but is a problem for the wife!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - especially as the mild weather has suddenly escaped us overnight (nice blanket of frost covering my street this morning!!).

Thanks

Matthew

SebRogers
15-01-2012, 11:11 AM
As you say, there are motorised flaps under the dash which control the mix of hot and cold air and where it goes, according to the climate control settings. The flaps can get stuck - sounds like that's probably what's happened. Best thing to do is get the fault codes read and that'll give you a starting point. The flaps behind the glove box are easy to get at (just drop the glove box - 3 or 4 bolts IIRC), but the ones on the driver's side are harder to access. If you get a VCDS scan done first it may give you an idea which flap is causing the problem, which will save you time fumbling around under the dash.

Nothing under the seat AFAIK other than a connection for the seat airbags. Reckon that's a red herring.

HTH. Good luck!

nice red GTi
15-01-2012, 11:49 AM
Hi thanks for the very quick reply. It might sound a daft question but what is a VCDS Scan and where could I get one? I did get the vagcom software once, but was unable to connect to the car as I dont have a lead.

If it is the flap in the drivers side how do you reach it?

Thanks once again.

M

S.line
15-01-2012, 03:26 PM
Is the engine at 90 coz this can effect the heater temp if not or if it's fluctuating. It will prob be the thermostat if this is the case and can be changed diy for about £30 inc stat and coolant.

SebRogers
15-01-2012, 04:33 PM
Hi thanks for the very quick reply. It might sound a daft question but what is a VCDS Scan and where could I get one? I did get the vagcom software once, but was unable to connect to the car as I dont have a lead.

VCDS is what VAGcom is called now, AFAIK. No idea what it stands for. Any VAG or good independent dealer can do a scan, or you could try asking on the VAGcom/VCDS forum if there's a member nearby who could help you.

If it is the flap in the drivers side how do you reach it?

I think some of the trim under the steering column can be removed, but access is still tight. Have you tried searching the forum?

MFGF
15-01-2012, 08:55 PM
VCDS is what VAGcom is called now, AFAIK. No idea what it stands for.

Vag Com Diagnostic System :-) your best bet is to find a member nearby who can scan the car for you, then take it from there.

Cheers!

MF.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SebRogers
15-01-2012, 10:33 PM
Vag Com Diagnostic System :-)

Y'know, after I typed that I didn't know what it stood for I wondered if that was what it was :biglaugh:

allanmb
16-01-2012, 10:39 AM
Hi All (belated happy new year!),

I have a 2006 A4 2.0 TDi S-Line (Dolphin Grey for all those who like to know the colour).
I've owned the car for 2 years with no problems what-so-ever, until yesterday!

I seem to have 2 problems:

The main one is that the Drivers side heater is only blowing cold, this despite being set to hot! This only started this week. I've tried playing with all of the settings (auto, having the blowers on and off, upping the temp lowering the temp etc). The passenger side works fine just not the drivers side. I've read on some other forums (golf etc) that people suggest checking the plugs under the seats (not sure why that would be the case) all I can think off is that I did push a parcel under the seat when parking up the other day (too lazy to get out and put in the boot).
Is there any fuses ?I can check, or is it likely to be a sticking air distribution flap or something. Note on turning the ignition key on there has always been a lot of motor noise from the dash (not motors labouring but just general whirring).

The second problem, may not actually be a problem but I never feel the heater in the Audi is as good as my other car (a basic 1997 Polo - which at full temp is like sitting in a Suana!). It does get very warm but not hot (less of a problem for me but is a problem for the wife!).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated - especially as the mild weather has suddenly escaped us overnight (nice blanket of frost covering my street this morning!!).

Thanks

Matthew

I can't offer any help regarding the lack of heat on the driver side however I can comment about your other problem. I noticed that if set to Auto mode, the car never really heats up however if you set it to come through the vents (the middle button between the up and down arrow on mine) and set the temp to max (about 26? the last actual temperature before HI) then you can get a lot of heat out of the car. Hopefully your wife will be happier with this, I know mine had a similar complaint until I found that out ;-)

Allan

mcmolloy
16-01-2012, 10:46 AM
Hi Mate,What has most likely happened is the arm has sheared off the little motor that controls the flap for the drivers side.
Remove the panel down below the steering wheel first(the one with the dianostic socket on it),then take off the side panel of the
centre console.Its difficult to see but if you put your hand up you should be able to feel the arm hanging off the flap.

You have to buy a motor as the arm is attached to it,its about £90 from audi,I just got mine from a breakers.
Have a search around this forum there are a few posts about this fault.
The motor is a bit awkward to remove ,its held on by 8mm bolts if I remember correctly.

nice red GTi
29-01-2012, 10:03 PM
Hi All,

Thanks for the replies (sorry about my delay - but never had chance to log on!).

The problem I have temporarily disapeared. I got the car serviced last saturday and the drivers side controls worked fine.... for about 5 hours then they failed again.
I'm thinking that there could be a loose wire??? I've sat in the car listening to see if I could self diagnose. When I turn the passenger temp up or down ther is a whiring motor sound (presumably altering the heat control flap) however on the drivers side altering the temp makes no noises. If you reach either Hi or Lo then it does make the fan speed increase, so from this I feel the problem is not the climate control unilt itself but more like a dodgy wire?? Does this sound plausable. If so does anyone have any ideas how I would get to the wiring?

Just noticed today that a garage down the road are charging £10 for a diagnostic check - I'll pop along and get the car tested.

Cheers

M

SebRogers
30-01-2012, 03:03 PM
A proper (VCDS, not generic) scan is the first place to start, because it should help narrow down the problem to a specific area. I suppose it could be a loose connector, bad contact or broken wire, but until you get a scan you won't know where to start looking...

nevo
30-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Your problem is a motor sticking,if you look up by the clutch pedal you will see a yellow lever,remove the motor attached to it(3 bolts)then operate the lever by hand,you should then get heat,the innards dry up and the gears stick,do a search and you will see plenty of info and a fix.

nice red GTi
27-02-2012, 06:14 PM
Hi Nevo,

Sorry about the lengthy delay - I forgot my log-in then just had trouble resetting the password (plus a complete lack of time).
I tried to have a look but could not see any yellow lever. In fact there was nothing yellow up by the clutch - any chance you have a picture of where you mean. I plan to have nother good look over the weekend. Car needs some attention as I think the turbo is failing at the moment so going to try to spend some time getting to the root of some of the problems! Blooming things.

Cheers

Matthew

nevo
27-02-2012, 06:22 PM
http://i627.photobucket.com/albums/tt358/nevo_album/KGrHqMOKm4E4PQ8eyQBOGKzp6w_121.jpg

nice red GTi
27-02-2012, 06:40 PM
Thanks,

I'll see if I can spot anything like that in my car. So I should be able to see the yellow mechanism by looking up under the dash near the clutch pedal?

Thanks for your help.

Matthew