PDA

View Full Version : Funny compression test numbers and questions about a head gasket change

helium4amc
25-07-2007, 01:14 PM
Hi guys,

I posted about 10 days ago about what looks like a head gasket failure on my '96 A6 Quattro 2.8 (engine code ACK). I have since gotten the car home and run a compression test on the cylinders but I am not sure what the results mean!

Looking from the front of the engine the cyclinder numbers and the results I got were thus:

Left Right
Pressure Cyl Cyl Pressure
145 PSI 3 6 180 PSI
50 PSI 2 5 180 PSI
145 PSI 1 4 200 PSI

Obviously, cylinder 2 is miles off, but I assume that both sides should have similar compressions, as opposed to a general 150-odd on one side and 180 on the other!

The 200 PSI on cylinder 6 seems a bit high too, but I don't really have anything to base that on, apart from the fact that it is higher than any of the others!

Also, the spark plug in cyclinder 1 was covered in oil - there was significantly more on the bit outside the combustion chamber than inside, although there was a little fouling inside as well.

The most impressive problem so far is the HT lead into the spark plug in cylinder 2, which has somehow managed to fuse itself to the spark plug (I guess this may be due to the high temperature experienced when whatever it was that went, went. The oil temperature gauge went up to 170 degrees C for a short period of time). The HT lead snapped off before I could pull it off the plug and had to be bodged out so I could get the plug out!

The car has been burning oil for some time now, so might that be the cause of one or more of the above problems?

I have pretty much decided to have a go at this myself, as I have little else to do with my spare time, so my next question is about where to get bits.

Is there a good source of Audi bits anybody knows of? So far I have managed to get a price for an ACK engine gasket set of 76.50 quid +VAT per side from GSF (http://www.gsfcarparts.com/). A

Also, what other bits should I replace or check when I am doing the job? I was gonna do the thermostat and check out the water pump (cos of the temperature the water got to - well over 100 degrees C) and replace the cambelt, but I wasn't sure what else!

Cheers, for your help!