PDA

View Full Version : Side airbags activated

bishop21
12-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Hi I hit some roadworks and they activated my airbags(curtains and seat) but I'm claiming from the council for them as my insurance company want to write them off!!!

For now to be able to drive I'm gonna sort out the seatbelts as they've locked up, does anybody know if they can be realessed or do I have to change them completely???

Thanks in advance

Sam
12-01-2012, 01:30 PM
If the airbags deployed, chances are the belt tensioners fired too, did your belt tighten?

As far as I know they're single use and would need to be replaced.

Eshrules
12-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I'm genuinely confused about a few things...

how'd you manage to not set off the front airbags? Are there sensors to detect the area of impact?

How come you're claiming from the council and not allowing it to be processed through your insurance, where you'd be supplied with a safe courtesy car to use whilst your car is repaired?

bishop21
12-01-2012, 03:09 PM
Hi I have no idea why only the side was deployed?!?

And my insurance are saying that any airbag deployed makes the salvageable and non-repairable...

In the meantime I'm without a car!?

NickPicks
12-01-2012, 03:23 PM
The airbags and pretensioners are all basically an explosive charge to generate gas to inflate the airbag, or move the pretensioners along the tube to tighten the seatbelt.

If you want to repair the car, then you'll need to replace all the deployed items, if the pretensioners have fired, then the belts may also need replacing. All these sort of items are expensive, whihc is probably why the insurance say it's an automatic write off.

Surely you now just claim on your insurance and let them sort out fault with the council? If they're going to write the car off, then so be it.

I'm suprised the sides and curtains deployed without also setting off the front airbags. What exactly do you mean by "Hit some roadworks"? Did you drive into the back of the JCB, or was it a very vicious ramp?

Eshrules
12-01-2012, 04:12 PM
Nick worded what I tried to say more effectively....(thanks Nick!)

bishop21
12-01-2012, 05:17 PM
The reason why I don't want to claim the car written of is because there only offering 4,000 and the car is worth double plus there's over 6,000 of mods on it...I would also have an 800 excess as I lowered the premium by doing this, I would use my no claims inedibly raising my premium...

I'm using my legal part of the insurance for the claim against the council,

And all I know is that a utility company cut out a 5mx2.5m section of the road without signage, in the middle of the night and left it on an unlit country road

Sam
12-01-2012, 05:56 PM
If the airbags deployed, chances are the belt tensioners fired too, did your belt tighten?

As far as I know they're single use and would need to be replaced.

Did your seat belt tighten?

bishop21
12-01-2012, 06:53 PM
Yeah the seatbelts tightened... Both of them

Sam
13-01-2012, 10:25 AM
Then to answer your question, you'll need to replace them both unfortunately.

bishop21
13-01-2012, 11:11 AM
Ok well thanks for all your replies