PDA

View Full Version : Is a '98 door card likely to fit a '96 driver's door?

Withnail
11-01-2012, 09:08 PM
Does anyone know whether a 1998 doorcard for a B5 A4 is likely to fit a 1996 model without major hassles? ie is the (o/s/f) door shell of a 98 car different to a 96 one, does anyone know?:1zhelp: I believe the some later ones may be slightly different in having a door-open light on the rear edge for instance, but it's differences in fit or in the means of attaching the trim that are more of a concern. Anyone?

fourringsrus
11-01-2012, 09:46 PM
Don't string me up but I believe the changes that matter are on facelift models around late 99

hibbsy21
11-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Will be a straight swap, providing that the door cards have the same electric window buttons i.e. just front two

And of course, as long as they match in colour!

Rich

Withnail
11-01-2012, 10:39 PM
Ta very much for the input, Gents... The colour, I'm not too bothered about to be honest - the panel I have in mind is different shades of grey, but at least it isn't blue or beige... As far as electric windows (2 or 4) goes, I would have thought that all the (electric type) panels would have holes/cutouts to allow for four switches - even if the plastic trim sitting on top of them only has the two switches with a blank area behind them? Also, just ahead of the chrome door release at the top, I see some cars have a switch next to the small grille bit, which I imagine is maybe for a sunroof or something(?) I don't know as I haven't got it. I don't know whether the presence or absence of that switch affects the overall length of the plastic trim around the door realease on the driver's side. I think I'm inclined to give it a go as I have cracked mine underneath the fabric through leaning on it... And if anyone can clarify the other little matter, I'd be most grateful, Cheers.

Withnail
22-01-2012, 02:40 PM
Just for the record and in case anyone searches for similar info in future - as suggested above, a 1998-1999 doorcard is indeed a straight swap, which I can confirm as I've just finished the job and am pleased with the result... The old card was a single piece moulding and the new card is two-tone. Shades of grey, though so hardly noticeable and it looks good and fresh. There is an empty rectangular aperture on the rear bottom corner of the door, which I believe is for a "door-open" warning lamp or something of the sort. The cutaway for the locking button trim also has an additional hole just ahead of it but the existing plastic ferrule is nonetheless a snap-fit in the rear portion of the hole & can be seperated for reuse if you saw out the surrounding section from the scrap panel and break it away to get better access first. If you want to use your old speaker grille, it is necessary to pare the plastic away round the studs where they have been fused with the trim. If either of the two damp-proof membranes (one small one just goes round the switches) is ripped or has to be cut free, you can keep your soundproofing 100% by getting some of those thin grey/white foam bags that stuff sometimes comes packed in and attaching a layer or two with a strong spray adhesive over any tears and to close out any gaps around switches, etc. Worth doing as the car sounds rather tinny with the doortrim off completely...