PDA

View Full Version : Question Creak

Kleinxv
11-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I have an annoying creak which appears over bumps it seems to be coming from the middle of the dash board or the rear of the plenum chamber. It sounds similar to the noise you get as the vent flaps modulate in the dash but it is not quite the same. Could there be something flexing in the entire heater unit?.
Any suggestions would be helpfully before I pull the dash apart to try and find it
Thanks

SebRogers
11-01-2012, 10:06 PM
I'm sure you've thought of this, but worth remembering that creaks and squeaks often don't come from where you think they're coming from. Doors (trim, cables behind trim, striker plates) and seats (runners, rear seat folding mechanism) can cause problems IME. You should be able to drop the glovebox and drive around with it in the passenger footwell - it might help you figure out whether or not the noise is actually behind the dash. Is it definitely an internal noise and not (say) a knackered suspension bush?

Sorry, can't think of anything else. Best of luck!

Kleinxv
11-01-2012, 10:44 PM
Thanks for the help

I have changed suspension arms etc on my old Audi this noise does not seem to be the same as a suspension noise. I do think your suggestion of dropping the glove box is looking like the next logical step. I am also aware that removing to much around the dash could result in more creaks than I started with.

djgilson
12-01-2012, 06:33 PM
Just an idle thought. There's a hefty steel bar running across the car immediately in front of the battery, bolted at each end, which presumably is meant to stiffen the structure. Worth checking the bolts are tight? While you're at it, worth checking the battery is held firmly in place? (If you've ever changed the battery, you'll be well aware of said bar, because it makes getting at the battery clamp very difficult!)

OVI82
13-01-2012, 07:42 PM
Just turn up the music:biglaugh:...............that's what i did with mine after taking a few bits apart trying to locate where the creaks where coming from.

Kleinxv
14-01-2012, 06:16 PM
Yeah turning the Radio up sounds good. If only the Audi cars were not generally quiet in the cabin I probably would never hear the creak. I have checked the brace bar it is tight but have not dropped the glove box yet.

jangles
16-01-2012, 03:19 PM
I get the odd creak ands groan, too, also seems to be coming from the dash area. Never thought it more than flexing of the car structure as it goes over the awful potholed and patched roads we have. My A4's an SLine so stiff suspension and low-profile tyres undoubtedly make it worse.

Testament to Audi build quality, too - so quiet in car that you notice even the tiniest creaking noise.