PDA

View Full Version : tdi 140 Sport or 170 Sport?

Agent_Trig
25-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Hi,

I'm new here and have a few questions regarding the tdi Sport models.

1 - Other than the 30bhp difference, what other difference are there between these two models?

2 - Is the 170 Sport much better/faster than the 140 Sport?

3 - What things do I need to look out for when viewing them or what things should I ask about when viewing them? (I'll be looking at around 2004 models - facelift).

Thanks

Froggy
25-07-2007, 11:49 AM
I'm afraid you won't get a 170Hp model at that age - it was only introduced very late last year 2006.

Agent_Trig
25-07-2007, 11:56 AM
I'm afraid you won't get a 170Hp model at that age - it was only introduced very late last year 2006.

Are you sure as this is what came up on Autotrader...

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=AUDI&min_pr=7000&source=0&model=A3&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=ws12+4bw&variant=170+sport&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=50&ukcarsearch_full.y=16&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

Lex Luthor
25-07-2007, 12:33 PM
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/data.aspx?model=61

Agent_Trig
25-07-2007, 12:36 PM
http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/data.aspx?model=61

Thanks for that but it just says Audi A3 03>

Does anyone know exactly when the 170 version came out? Cause there's people on Autotrader selling 170's on 04 plates. Check out my previous link.

Lex Luthor
25-07-2007, 12:51 PM
Thanks for that but it just says Audi A3 03>

er...that means '03 on......
If you use the resource on Parkers you can answer your question yourself....

Agent_Trig
25-07-2007, 01:22 PM
er...that means '03 on......
If you use the resource on Parkers you can answer your question yourself....

Sorry for the confusion.
I know it means 2003 onwards but I was just wondering whether the 170 came out in 2003 or 2006 like someone earlier has stated.

Because if it did indeed come out in 2006 then it would still be listed in Parkers 2003 onwards page.

Trev McM
25-07-2007, 01:33 PM

Try: http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/car-specifications/Audi/A3+%282003-%29/AU004112/

Earliest 170 I can see is for 3-door sport is 28 May 2007

There's a 5-door Special Edition Sports back with 170 that started production in Jan 07 and stopped Apr 07.

Agent_Trig
25-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Try: http://www.wisebuyers.co.uk/motoring/car-specifications/Audi/A3+%282003-%29/AU004112/

Earliest 170 I can see is for 3-door sport is 28 May 2007

There's a 5-door Special Edition Sports back with 170 that started production in Jan 07 and stopped Apr 07.

Thats very strange then as there's a lot of people (including traders) selling 170's on Autotrader from 04 onwards...

Lex Luthor
25-07-2007, 01:44 PM
Because if it did indeed come out in 2006 then it would still be listed in Parkers 2003 onwards page.

Yes, my mistake.
If you open the model detail there is a "Production" field that shows when it was available. May 2006 I am afraid.

Trev McM
25-07-2007, 02:54 PM
Thats very strange then as there's a lot of people (including traders) selling 170's on Autotrader from 04 onwards...

Just looked and the earliest Autotrader with 170 was an 07 !!!

All the adverts for Sport A3 TDIs are 140 unless they say 170, I think you'll find.

Final answer............!

Agent_Trig
25-07-2007, 03:43 PM
Just looked and the earliest Autotrader with 170 was an 07 !!!

All the adverts for Sport A3 TDIs are 140 unless they say 170, I think you'll find.

Final answer............!

Sorry, but you didn't look very hard... :D
http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/www/cars_search.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=AUDI&min_pr=7000&source=0&model=A3&max_pr=&miles=1500&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=ws12+4bw&variant=170+sport&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=0&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=50&ukcarsearch_full.y=16&ukcarsearch_full=SEARCH

Anyway, I now know that these are falsely advertised and it turned out that the owners thought they had 170's as that was what they were told when they bought them.

Looks like I'm looking for a 140 then.

Froggy
25-07-2007, 04:30 PM
I think you can tell only tell definitively from the VIN, however the first car to get the 170Hp diesel was the new shape passat, and that was delayed from when it was advertised.

I know, I nearly bought one and that engine wasn't in the 10/2005 Brochure, but was available by about February 06.

If you want me to get the engine / Vin codes I can, just shout.

prolfe
26-07-2007, 10:22 AM
The 170 has straight twin chrome exhausts, the 140's have twin downturned exhausts.
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=261&cat=529

That is the only cosmetic difference.

As for difference, the 30bhp is a massive improvement. My friend asked me this weekend after accelerating my way to about 80 from a standstill.

"do you ever get bored of that?"

:)

Nope, it makes me smile daily. Even if there's a hike in insuance, fuel costs and i'm sure tyre wear.

In saying that the 140 speed was miles better than my old 125bhp Diesel Laguna, even though they shared an identical 0-60 and top speed. It was the in gear acceleration that felt 6 or 7 seconds quicker.

Agent_Trig
26-07-2007, 10:29 AM
The 170 has straight twin chrome exhausts, the 140's have twin downturned exhausts.
http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=261&cat=529

That is the only cosmetic difference.

As for difference, the 30bhp is a massive improvement. My friend asked me this weekend after accelerating my way to about 80 from a standstill.

"do you ever get bored of that?"

Nope, it makes me smile daily. Even if there's a hike in insuance, fuel costs and i'm sure tyre wear.

In saying that the 140 speed was miles better than my old 125bhp Diesel Laguna, even though they shared an identical 0-60 and top speed. It was the in gear acceleration that felt 6 or 7 seconds quicker.

Thanks for the reply, this is the kind of answer I've been waiting for.

However, I simply cannot afford a decent 170 (after finding out that they were not available in 2004) so I am looking at 140's.
I'm not after outright acceleration from a standstill though, just bags of torque which from what I've read the 140 delivers in this area (I have an FTO GPX for looks and high revving speed).

Would you say that the 140 is still a good puller when already rolling though?

prolfe
26-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the reply, this is the kind of answer I've been waiting for.

However, I simply cannot afford a decent 170 (after finding out that they were not available in 2004) so I am looking at 140's.
I'm not after outright acceleration from a standstill though, just bags of torque which from what I've read the 140 delivers in this area (I have an FTO GPX for looks and high revving speed).

Would you say that the 140 is still a good puller when already rolling though?

The thing with TDi's is that the 0-60 is irrelevant really. Take my A3, it is quicker than a petrol BMW 530i through some of the gears. Yet my 0-60 is 8.2 and the 530i is 6.3 !!

It's all about the torque and mid range acceleration.

I drove a Leon 140, Golf 140 and A3 140 and they all felt much quicker than my old (crappy) laguna. I would of been very happy to of had one.

I have a car allowance from my work and so I was just very lucky in that I had a choice between that and the 170.

I know that if i had a 140 that looking back that I would of always thought "i should of got the 170".

And the three VAG cars felt very different even though they share many common parts. IMO the Leon was bland on the inside, the Golf was better but lower spec'd as standard and the A3 oozed quality and design. The engines also felt different, the A3 felt like it had more to give.

In saying all that it was still a really tough decision, and again, I am very lucky to have had a choice.

Agent_Trig
26-07-2007, 11:29 AM
The thing with TDi's is that the 0-60 is irrelevant really. Take my A3, it is quicker than a petrol BMW 530i through some of the gears. Yet my 0-60 is 8.2 and the 530i is 6.3 !!

It's all about the torque and mid range acceleration.

I drove a Leon 140, Golf 140 and A3 140 and they all felt much quicker than my old (crappy) laguna. I would of been very happy to of had one.

I have a car allowance from my work and so I was just very lucky in that I had a choice between that and the 170.

I know that if i had a 140 that looking back that I would of always thought "i should of got the 170".

And the three VAG cars felt very different even though they share many common parts. IMO the Leon was bland on the inside, the Golf was better but lower spec'd as standard and the A3 oozed quality and design. The engines also felt different, the A3 felt like it had more to give.

In saying all that it was still a really tough decision, and again, I am very lucky to have had a choice.

Again, thanks for the reply. I would defo choose the A3 over the other 2 anyway as I like the solid understated looks of the A3.

I know what you mean about "wishing I had gone for the top model" as I usually do buy the best in any product but unfortunately the funds will just not allow for me to buy a good low mileage 170 (i have around £14000 to spend) and as this is really a replacement for my girlfriends 1.0 yaris, it will still be a huge improvement.

prolfe
26-07-2007, 11:51 AM
I've seen a Black 05 plate for £15k with 31k in sport trim with extras.

Search Auto Trader

13-15k
national
diesel
sport
manual

Agent_Trig
26-07-2007, 11:59 AM
I've seen a Black 05 plate for £15k with 31k in sport trim with extras.

Search Auto Trader

13-15k
national
diesel
sport
manual

This is whats confusing though as I have been told by a few people on here and by Audi themselves that the 170 wasn't released until May 2006.

Strange...

Anyway, I have just had the VIN number off someone with an 04 plate 170 and im gonna get it checked out. He's the only owner and bought it new from Audi and was told that it is a 170 - they just double checked with the reg number.

So im gonna get his VIN number checkout to be sure - seems very odd though...

prolfe
26-07-2007, 12:43 PM
This is whats confusing though as I have been told by a few people on here and by Audi themselves that the 170 wasn't released until May 2006.

Strange...

Anyway, I have just had the VIN number off someone with an 04 plate 170 and im gonna get it checked out. He's the only owner and bought it new from Audi and was told that it is a 170 - they just double checked with the reg number.

So im gonna get his VIN number checkout to be sure - seems very odd though...

the one i have pointed out can only be a 140 because of the release date of the 170's

Just ask the person selling any A3 what exhausts they have. Straight Chrome = 170 anything else - it's not.

erisaman
27-07-2007, 03:41 AM
Agree with Lex Luthor here - I've been checking out the 170 for some time and can't even find a used one in my local dealer to take for a test drive. The 170 ps is a development of the 140 ps - using the technology from the A6 etc which allows more accurate fuelling of the cylinders, hence greater efficiency/power. When I bought a 2.0 TFSi for my wife last October, we weren't even offered the 2.0 TDi 170 ps - they were that short on the ground.

prolfe
27-07-2007, 08:23 PM
Agree with Lex Luthor here - I've been checking out the 170 for some time and can't even find a used one in my local dealer to take for a test drive. The 170 ps is a development of the 140 ps - using the technology from the A6 etc which allows more accurate fuelling of the cylinders, hence greater efficiency/power. When I bought a 2.0 TFSi for my wife last October, we weren't even offered the 2.0 TDi 170 ps - they were that short on the ground.

A big difference is the Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) as well as the bhp, fuel economy, insurance and oil prices.

I had no problem ordering one from new, through the research I did the salesman didn't have much input either way, just sat there nodding.

erisaman
27-07-2007, 10:15 PM
A big difference is the Diesel Particle Filter (DPF) as well as the bhp, fuel economy, insurance and oil prices.

I had no problem ordering one from new, through the research I did the salesman didn't have much input either way, just sat there nodding.
Your comments confirm my exact train of thought regarding the 170, however, having been a petrol-head all of my 45 years of driving, to even consider diesel is a major change of direction for me. The DPF is an important factor inasmuch as (I hope) the filter does away with that tell tale puff of black smoke emitted by the conventional TDI when nudged into action.

When I did my research on power plants last September/October, the brochures contained no mention of a 170 nor it's performance potential, indeed, even as recently as May/June, I was still being given obsolete brochures containing no mention of the 170. Even worse - Audi's own web site, whilst featuring the 170, gives very misleading info on fuel consumption - despite being told that they are doing themselves an injustice!

I'll have no problem ordering from new - and there are even discounts available - it's just that I've been spolit by the 2.0TFSi with DSG so I want to have a good test drive of the 170 to be sure I'm not going to lose too much zip - and this is where the shortage presents itself, there being no demo models available (locally).

prolfe
28-07-2007, 08:29 AM
Your comments confirm my exact train of thought regarding the 170, however, having been a petrol-head all of my 45 years of driving, to even consider diesel is a major change of direction for me. The DPF is an important factor inasmuch as (I hope) the filter does away with that tell tale puff of black smoke emitted by the conventional TDI when nudged into action.

When I did my research on power plants last September/October, the brochures contained no mention of a 170 nor it's performance potential, indeed, even as recently as May/June, I was still being given obsolete brochures containing no mention of the 170. Even worse - Audi's own web site, whilst featuring the 170, gives very misleading info on fuel consumption - despite being told that they are doing themselves an injustice!

I'll have no problem ordering from new - and there are even discounts available - it's just that I've been spolit by the 2.0TFSi with DSG so I want to have a good test drive of the 170 to be sure I'm not going to lose too much zip - and this is where the shortage presents itself, there being no demo models available (locally).

There's no smoke from my 170 DPF and as it's debadged, you'd not know which of these it could be: 2.0 TFSI, 1.8 TFSI, TDI, or 3.2

There might be a member near you that has a 170 that they might be able to take you out in. Where about's in the country are you?

erisaman
28-07-2007, 11:41 AM
There's no smoke from my 170 DPF and as it's debadged, you'd not know which of these it could be: 2.0 TFSI, 1.8 TFSI, TDI, or 3.2

There might be a member near you that has a 170 that they might be able to take you out in. Where about's in the country are you?
That's a good idea of yours - I'm in the Swansea (S Wales) area. Maybe they'd be willing to lend it to me for a week or so - oops, low flying piggy nearly hit me then.

engineermk
02-08-2007, 03:35 PM
Just one word of warning, don't buy a 170 (or any car with a DPF) if you never go out of town.

The handbook says the car must be driven at or above 40mph (approx) for 15mins to clean the DPF. I know AUDI dealers in london bought back DPF cars because thier owners never get out of a 30mph limit.

prolfe
02-08-2007, 07:10 PM
That's a good idea of yours - I'm in the Swansea (S Wales) area. Maybe they'd be willing to lend it to me for a week or so - oops, low flying piggy nearly hit me then.

Brigend Audi are just about to get a Audi A3 Sportback 2.0 TDI Dpf (170 PS) quattro S-line (http://usedcars.audi.co.uk/carview.aspx?id=501610408)

you could have a go in that, it's 4wd so will feel really quick off the line, but the mid range acceleration will feel the same as a 2wd.

Call them on Tel: 0845 123 6018

The only extras it has are iPod, 18" RS4 style alloys and chrome roof rails

erisaman
03-08-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks for that - just got back from Spain so am slow picking it up - thanks again.