PDA

View Full Version : Skoda and Polo unlock with same key!

chrisfraser05
09-01-2012, 02:04 AM
was out in town at the weekend and got back to the carpark.

got in the Polo and the ignition wouldn't turn.

took the key out and realised I'd been using the Fabia key!

Got out, locked and unlocked the car again!!!

Weird! Truely stunned it worked!

Not tried the other way round yet though lol

Who'd have thought they would be THAT insecure!

NickPicks
09-01-2012, 12:08 PM
Well, when you think that the key number only has 4 digits, that implies that there are only 10,000 possible key patterns, so it's a 1:10,000 chance that you'll have the same key for 2 cars. The immobiliser transponders are uniquely matched to the car though, so there's no chance of you starting the engine.

Either that, or the lock on the polo is so old and worn that any key will turn the barrel (I don't know how old your polo is, but I had a 12 year old mazda once which had a lock like that).

MrTT
09-01-2012, 01:46 PM
That is worrying! Pretty mad that it happened that you actually had a key that can unlock both cars, but beyond the novelty value that is massively insecure!

Fair point by NP above taht the transponders are unique so you can't start the engine but still, that doesn't do anything to help anything of value that you left in the car! Have you tried the Polo keys on the Fabia yet? What was the result??

Eshrules
09-01-2012, 01:49 PM
I had two 14 year old polos, both sets of keys were specific to the locks - neither would open the other.

The fact the ignition wouldn't turn suggests the lock barrel is worn and I'd suggest you address this.

Not that it matters of course, if someone wants to get in your car they're unlikely to use a key anyway.

Guest 2
09-01-2012, 01:57 PM
My old MK2 Mondeo key could open other Mondeos of similar age (1997-98).

Obviously I didn't go out intentionally to try this ;)

It wouldn't start the other car but opened the door lock and boot lock.

Sam
09-01-2012, 02:19 PM
I drove an E reg LWB Transit to Ikea in Croydon using a key from a Fiesta.

It wasn't until I needed to open the back doors to load up the 329,485,342 items I'd bought that I realised the key wasn't the right one. It worked in the ignition, the driver's door and the fuel cap but not the loading doors.

I had thought things had come on a bit since then though.

Eshrules
09-01-2012, 02:22 PM
I drove an E reg LWB Transit to Ikea in Croydon using a key from a Fiesta.

key, eh? <rubs chin> Sure it was a key champ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/Screw_Driver_display.jpg

Sam
09-01-2012, 02:25 PM
key, eh? <rubs chin> Sure it was a key champ?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/Screw_Driver_display.jpg

I'm from the South, I don't do that sort of thing.

chrisfraser05
09-01-2012, 06:21 PM
lol

some good points there, I'm going to try the keys for both cars in all the locks tonight when the wife gets in.

if its just the drivers side lock on the polo I might considder replacing the barrel.

Both are 53 plates.