PDA

View Full Version : Service Interval Reset for Audi A4

duncan89
22-05-2006, 08:51 PM
Hello,

Does anyone know how to reset the service interval on an Audi A4 (N reg saloon). My brother sends his to a local garage and pays a fiver for the reset, but I was looking at threads for the Passat and noticed that you can do it yourself, so I assume that there must also be a similar way for the audi ? Any takers ?

Duncan.

grsait
24-05-2006, 02:34 PM
I am also looking to have my service indicator reset. My local mechanic can only suggest taking it to Audi.
Anyone else got any better solutions?

nickasaki
24-05-2006, 04:08 PM
There is no easy solution unless you buy a reset tool off eBay, other than that you will be visiting your local *********** , On later models you can reset the service indicator with a combination of switching on the ignition whilst holding in the right button on the instrument display for so many seconds but it does tell you this in the owners book....Sorry about that ....By the way a reset tool would cost about £10-£20 and this will do many of the VW AUDI range ( you could make your money back by doing friends cars)....All the best :banana:

grsait
26-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Mine's a 96 and says nothing in the book. Think i'm just gonn put up with it til i next need a service then find a garage with the right tools to reset it

nickasaki
27-05-2006, 07:36 AM
They changed it so you could re-set the service lights yourself on car's 98 onwards

El Dingo
09-06-2006, 06:01 PM
VAG-COM can also be used to reset the service indicator.

patrick
17-11-2006, 04:47 AM
I have a 2002 B6 Audi A4 3.0L Quattro for reference.

To reset the "SERVICE!" indicator ignition must be "off".

Hold in the wrench button on instrument cluster, and at the same time turn your key forward (without starting). While still holding the "wrench" button in, press the "0,0" button and hold until the "SERVICE!" notification clears (about 2-3 seconds).

Presto magnifico. When all else fails read the manual....hahaha

Patrick
www.AudiA4Mods.com (http://www.AudiA4Mods.com/) for other tips and tricks!

nickasaki
17-11-2006, 09:09 AM
Patrick, you are correct on the car you have but on the early one's this did not work the only way was to pay to have it reset or to get hold of a reset tool or VAG-COM.......hahaha:biglaugh:

seabass33
06-01-2007, 11:18 PM
I just followed Patrick's instructions for my 2003 Audi Quattro and it worked like a charm. Thanks!! :D

PS The first few posts that I found still referenced "knobs" that pull out, and my Audi only has buttons that push, so it was frustrating until finding this information!!

RickT
07-01-2007, 03:58 PM
on the first A4's you could not change it untill in about 98 as above... (without VAG-COM)

RiCKT

Saffer
10-01-2007, 06:03 AM
Hey Patrick

Thanks you are a magician....my 2001 A4 is now al clear. (the one service was done soon after the previous and the computer was out of whack as to when the next one should be)

I tried to do magic once, but seeing as I could't get a rabbit out of a hat I just pulled a hair out of my a*%e instead

cheers
Saffer:beerchug:

patrick
24-02-2007, 07:18 PM
No problem! Car computers can be a pain or a blessing. I prefer to think of them as a blessing! What other cars will tell you when you have a taillight out? Overcomputerized I think not.

Patrick
www.AudiA4Mods.com

Jonathan Chips
19-03-2007, 03:59 PM
Hey there guys,

Any further ideas on a 2001 A4 2.0 sport (facelift) as to reset the service indicator. Have tried the posted ideas, but display no longer shows service in days or miles, it is just shows ------

Cheers

RickT
19-03-2007, 05:18 PM
thats right ----- leave it a few days or about 500 miles and it will cacalate your next service depending on driving style..

RiCKT

Jonathan Chips
27-03-2007, 04:33 PM
Thanks bud, display now shows mileage countdown!

RickT
27-03-2007, 05:30 PM
Just a note on the back of this... remeber that this can only be done for the normal service, not the long life.

Long life is done via VAG-COM,

Cheers

RickT

AutoTDI
11-05-2007, 07:06 PM
I have a 1997 model 1.9TDI which needs a tool to reset the service indicator. I see that OBD2 reset tools are advertised on eBay for about £25, but not all feedback comments are favourable. Does anyone have any experience of these tools and/or could make a recommendation?

El Dingo
11-05-2007, 07:23 PM
Personally, I would recommend VAG-COM...
(Not a fan of that well known web site where stolen goods are sold at favourable prices...)

AutoTDI
21-05-2007, 06:12 PM
Have just purchased VAG reset tool off eBay, but didn't work, so back it goes. I don't believe these low-cost items would be stolen, more likely thrown away! I suppose I took a chance buying it, as looking at feedback comments, they seem to work on some Audis but not others. I am surprised it didn't work on a 97 A4 1.9TDI. Anyway, my immediate problem is now solved, courtesy of a local mobile mechanic who turned up with an impressive array of computer gear. The first expensive looking gear he plugged in didn't work either, so he then produced a laptop and only after entering model year and engine code was the desired reset achieved.

lrnzcrz
02-07-2007, 08:42 PM
patrick is right it works on my 03 a4 thanx ....

Schod
12-10-2007, 08:49 PM
A6 1995, 1984cc ABK,petrol, manual gearbox. Just to let you know what I've got.

I found this on the web:
This is the procedure to reset service and oil message:
on the instrument board we will call the left button #1 and the right one # 2.
-press button 2(right and switch on the ignition while keeping the button pressed,the display will show you "oil service
-release button 2 and PULL(not push) button one tll that you will se cleared oil service
-press again button 2 to display service message
-release button 2 and PULL button one until message is cleared
-switch off ignition key
-done

Audi A4 & A6 (All years)
• Turn off the ignition
• Press and hold the button on the left side of the display while turning the ignition on
• Service OIL will be displayed
• Pull out the button on the right side of the display until the service prompt is cleared
• The display should now read ---
If the above procedure does not work, outlined below is an alternative procedure:
• With the ignition off, push the right button
• Turn the ignition on and then pull the left button
• This should clear the warning message

I tried it tonight and it did not work on mine.
It could refer to the USA cars which maybe the other way about.

AutoTDI
12-10-2007, 09:24 PM
This procedure cannot be used on my 97MY A4 1.9TDI. Only applies to later models. Pushing/pulling these buttons only changes clock time and/or re-sets trip recorder.

Schod
12-10-2007, 09:40 PM
I have also been able to change the clock time and the speedo trip.

Regarding the resetting info' it did state that it is for all years.

Procedures are available for the following manufacturers/models:

Manufacturer Years Models
Audi All A4 and A6

AutoTDI
13-10-2007, 12:10 PM
Regarding the resetting info' it did state that it is for all years.

Just goes to prove that you can't believe everything on the web!

Tinnycan
23-10-2007, 03:34 PM
Works on my friends Audi 1.8 1998. Used hold button on right, turned on ignition, released button on right, pulled out button on the left and the --- came up. Done. Thank you

Schod
27-10-2007, 09:49 PM
Thank you for the info'. I tried it tonight but it did not work.

UKOBD
28-10-2007, 11:49 AM
Thank you for the info'. I tried it tonight but it did not work.

Take a look at this tool - a cost effective way of doing the job:

http://www.ukobd.co.uk/gstore/store/g_viewItem.asp?idProduct=68

Gareth
UKOBD

_Renegade_
07-12-2007, 10:11 AM
Gentlemen

There is no need to spend ANY money on a reset tool. The service light can be simply reset using the following:

Audi A4 & A6 (All years)

Turn off the ignition
Press and hold the button on the left side of the display while turning the ignition on

Service OIL will be displayed

Pull out the button on the right side of the display until the service prompt is cleared

The display should now read ---

If the above procedure does not work, outlined below is an alternative procedure:

With the ignition off, push the right button

Turn the ignition on and then pull the left button

This should clear the warning message

..and that's it!

All donations welcome..

Cheers

Renegade

AutoTDI
07-12-2007, 11:10 AM
Gentlemen

There is no need to spend ANY money on a reset tool. The service light can be simply reset using the following:

Audi A4 & A6 (All years)

So the myth continues to be propagated! Please look at my earlier posts in this thread. This procedure definitely does NOT apply to all years.

shuggy1001
30-01-2008, 11:11 AM
I am having a slight problem with my DIS. The oil level warning light is one, even though i checked the oil and topped up. The level is fine and has been checked by mechanic. If i use the reset method above for my 2001 A4 B6, will it effect the service mileage schedule? or will it just get rid of oil warning light?

Thanks for help in advance.

rs4krisy
30-01-2008, 07:41 PM
guys im sorry im new to this site and prob posted this in wrong place , i have a 1.8 t quattro a4 51 plate , i have a prob with my turbo , it seems to be coming in at usual revs then it cuts out , i had it on ecu machine and it coded max boost level exceeded can any one help ,

sincerely kris

darkhorse1001
30-01-2008, 08:58 PM
errr....

prob not get so many reply's bout a problem like that in a thread about resetting a service light.

back on topic, none of the above methods worked for me. eventually discovered holding BOTH buttons in at the same time does.

rs4krisy
30-01-2008, 09:55 PM
sorry dude , just dono how to get about the site ,, lol

dave1870
01-02-2008, 12:24 AM
Audi A4 & A6 (All years)

Turn off the ignition
Press and hold the button on the left side of the display while turning the ignition on
Pull out the button on the right side of the display until the service prompt is cleared
The display should now read ---If the above procedure does not work, outlined below is an alternative procedure:

shuggy1001
01-02-2008, 10:10 AM
Audi A4 & A6 (All years)

Turn off the ignition
The display should now read ---If the above procedure does not work, outlined below is an alternative procedure:

Not sure how this is for all years, since there are no buttons to pull on B6 and later models...

thomswalwell
20-01-2010, 01:34 AM
Turn off the ignition
The display should now read ---

worked on my 2002 a4 avant b6.

it takes like 5 seconds to do.

Thanks for the help everyone.

wid77
26-01-2010, 09:15 PM
I have a 2001 model A4. The service book says

- switch off ignition

- press button at bottom left of speedo and hold while switching on the ignition. The display should now read 'Service!'.

- Press and hold button at bottom right of rev counter until the word 'Service!' is cleared from the display.

There you go.

Note:
Sorry, just realised there were another 3 pages of posts on this topic!

mike ryan
28-01-2010, 10:18 AM
Just to confirm that pushing the button technique does not work on the early a4's. I know because i have tried it all with no success and the bentley manual will tell you the same.

I do have a shareware version of the vag.com but this does not work. Do i need to get a full version before i can reset it?

Cheers Mike.