PDA

View Full Version : A7 Seat Belt Warning "Gotcha"

Audi_Mike
07-01-2012, 10:15 AM
I picked up my new A7 last Monday and am generally well pleased with it (3.0TDI SE 245, with pretty much all extras fitted).

Anyway, I was driving home last night on a dark, poorly lit road, when I stopped at a traffic light. The "Auto Hold" brake was armed and on bringing the vehicle to a halt with my foot on the brake pedal, the green park brake symbol illuminated on the dash and the engine Start-Stop cut out the engine. All fine up to now, but then, looking down at the dash, I noticed that the red Seat Belt warning symbol was displayed. Both my wife and I had our seat belts correctly fastened, so I assumed that one of the switches in the belt buckles had not engaged.

She undid her seat belt first and re-fastened it, but the warning light remained. So then I did the same and that was when the "fun" started. As soon as I released my seat belt (and I know now that it says this in the manual, but didn't at the time) the Auto Hold cut out and the park brake symbol in the dash turned Red as the main park brake engaged. At the same time, the Auto Start-Stop disengaged leaving me with a stopped engine, selector lever still in Drive and the park brake on.

At this point I put the car into Neutral and tried to find the start switch. WHY is this IMPORTANT button the only one that is not illuminated at night??? Bear in mind that I have only had the car a couple of days, I knew roughly where it was, but in a dark car on a dark road with a traffic light that had now turned green and impatient traffic behind, this is not the time to find that the most important button in the car at that time is not illuminated!!!!

I felt to where I thought it should be and found it. The engine started, Phew!!! Then as soon as I selected Drive, it cut out again to more frustration from the drivers behind. I believe now, that this "may" have simply been the Auto Start-Stop cutting out the engine again, but I cannot remember looking at the dash to see if the symbol was illuminated. Anyway, I put the car into Neutral again and restarted the engine. This time it started and engaged Drive with no problems. The seat belt warning had gone out and did not come on again.

Morel of the story - Be careful with the automatic systems on this car!!! They all interract with each other and can leave you with a very confusing stopped vehicle if you don't fully understand how they work. Finally can Audi PLEASE ILLUMINATE THE START SWITCH during normal driving so that you can find it when you need it.

Regards,
Mike

Audi_Mike
09-01-2012, 11:53 PM
I have thought further about my problems the other night and on looking at the car again, realised that my original post was not entirely accurate.

Firstly, the reason that the Start/Stop button "appeared" not to be illuminated was because from my sitting position, it is hidden behind the gear selector knob. In the dark, especially to a new owner who has only had their vehicle for a couple of days, it really does appear that the entire centre console is illuminated except for the Start/Stop button which is, in fact only hidden from view by a black knob in a dark part of the vehicle. I only found this on looking at the centre console again in daylight where the problem was now immediately obvious.

Secondly, the Seat Belt warning light has not come on again, so I am assuming that this was just a "new car" glitch.

Finally, on reading the manual more fully, it does explain that many of the automatic systems are disabled by removing the driver's seat belt as the vehicle "thinks" that you are about to get out.

I hope this clears up any mis-understandings or inaccuracies in my original post. I am, in general, extremely pleased with my A7 and am loooking forward to working out the fuel consumption figures after filling the tank for the first time shortly (3.0L, 245 Quattro)

Regards,
Mike

shabazmo
10-01-2012, 02:50 AM
Welcome to the A7 owners club. Although I have had my A7 for 10 months I do remember it took me many weeks to get the hang of all the functions and how they operate, particularly as I had my old A6 for 9 years. I am sure you will love your car. Som,e photos would be good or add the spec on your signature block
Regards
Shabaz

Architex_mA8tey
10-01-2012, 03:40 AM
Welcome from me too Mike - you are in an "Audi A7" owners triangle - Wiltshire, Hampshire, Berkshire has quite a few owners and a few of us have met up in the past at Newbury. Hopefully we can all catch up again soon and see a few new owners like yourself there

Audi_Mike
10-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Hi All,

Many thanks for the welcome to the group. If you are arranging a get-together in the future, please include me in and let me know.

Regards,
Mike

MFGF
11-01-2012, 05:08 PM
You might consider inviting Kite along with his VCDS cable when you meet. I'm sure he would be happy to help you with any little mods to your cars if you bought him a beer or too. Just a thought :)

MF.

kite
11-01-2012, 06:43 PM
Cheers for the heads up Mark.
Thread bookmarked..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk