PDA

View Full Version : Beetle 2.3 v5 engine tapping/ticking

squiresv5
24-07-2007, 09:33 PM
Hi All

I have a 2001 Beetle 2.3 litre v5. I have just had replaced the air mass meter. This rectified a problem I had with the car driving smoothly. At the same time as the problem I had or still have a ticking or tapping noise coming from I think the engine. The noise comes in at low revs and goes with high revs. Noticable at 35mph and 65 mph. Has anyone any ideas? The car has done 42,000 miles. I have been advised by my local VW dealer that I should replace my cam belt at my next service in October. Does anyone think the cam belt can have anything to do with the smoothness of the engine.

Thanks for reading.

scotty33
26-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I'm fairly sure those VR engines use a rear mounted timing chain, not a belt. It should not be noisy at 42k, but it could be the cause if say the tensioner is failing?

bug23v5
06-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Hi all, new to the site but caught site of your thread whilst searching for information about a similar problem i'm having with my 05 2.3 v5 Beetle

The car has only done 7.5k and 2 months ago developed a very queit ticking/tapping sound which could only be heard at 2000RPM in all gears at very light throttle, as the car is still in warranty i took it straight to the dealer who has looked at several items including timing chain and airmass meter,control flaps on the air intake aswell as the V belt tensioner all were replaced but the noise was still there, in the end a national technician came to look at the car and diagnosed a faulty coil pack causing pre ignition, it transpires that this has caused damage to a piston and therefore due to the costs involved in stripping and replacing the damaged parts they are replacing the engine under warranty.

according to VW mine is the first V5 to have a problem of this sort listed on their system

sounds drastic i know especially as the damage was confined to what looked like minor scuffing to the skirt of the piston due to the load placed upon it by the misfire.

fortunately for me my vehicle is still in warranty but check the coil packs and ignition pattern.

let me know how you go on

if you want to discuss this in more detail to find out if teh noise is similar you could call me on 07813215945

Good luck

Nicks
16-11-2007, 03:51 AM
Hey mate! I don't have a bug but I have a gti turbo and it sounds very similar to my engine.. the ticking noise is it coming from a black box on the left hand side of the engine bay? to hear tappets is standard to a certain degree... theys do reackon you should have a cam belt change @40K its all good. do you have a climatronic on yours!?try turning this on and off because it makes a fair old noise.. ;)

Hi All

I have a 2001 Beetle 2.3 litre v5. I have just had replaced the air mass meter. This rectified a problem I had with the car driving smoothly. At the same time as the problem I had or still have a ticking or tapping noise coming from I think the engine. The noise comes in at low revs and goes with high revs. Noticable at 35mph and 65 mph. Has anyone any ideas? The car has done 42,000 miles. I have been advised by my local VW dealer that I should replace my cam belt at my next service in October. Does anyone think the cam belt can have anything to do with the smoothness of the engine.

Thanks for reading.

kesselrun
28-11-2007, 04:58 PM
Nicks, from what you describe it sounds like it's the charcoal filter ticking away and apparently it's quite normal - my v6 4moiton does exactly the same thing.

Hope this helps!:D

Nicks
09-12-2007, 08:53 PM
Nicks, from what you describe it sounds like it's the charcoal filter ticking away and apparently it's quite normal - my v6 4moiton does exactly the same thing.

Hope this helps!:D

you are right kesselrun this very normal i did know this but i was trying to help the above!hehe

that noise could also be the injectors they are quite noisy on a vw to... it's all the norm.;)

kesselrun
10-12-2007, 10:59 AM
you are right kesselrun this very normal i did know this but i was trying to help the above!hehe

that noise could also be the injectors they are quite noisy on a vw to... it's all the norm.;)

Woops, my bad! :o Guess I should slow down and read threads properly before diving in! Ah, well, maybe it'll help someone else. :D Cheers, tho!

John Rees
15-12-2007, 04:45 AM
On my VR6 the timing chain sprocket wasn't properly hardened and accelerated wear caused the timing chain to slip at 52,000 miles. It was a very expensive repair. I have photos on my webpage at http://www.reesphotos.com/VW/ .
John Rees