PDA

View Full Version : Question Golf Plus Tailgate Trim

GolfPlusMan
03-01-2012, 10:48 AM
Hi,

I need to remove the tailgate large trim panel to gain access for fitting a rear view camera. Has anyone any experience or advice on how to get it off, or has a reference to a website with pictures - can't find one myself.

Thanks.

alibaly
15-03-2012, 06:12 PM
I hope you managed to remove the panel yourself by now but would like to say that I have just fitted a VEBA number plate reversing sensor on my Golf Plus and had a devil of a job getting mine off. I eventually left the middle bit still firmly attached by who nows what and managed to run the wires through ok, but on trying to find a power feed from the reversing light my meter would not pick up anything and the bulb was lit ok. I have found out that the two wires going to the light are live and earth and on the VW Golf the rear lights are pulse fed and can only be detected by an oscillosope. the brown wire is earth and the white is 12v live.

GolfPlusMan
16-03-2012, 08:14 AM
Hi, thanks for the reply. I've managed to do the job without removing the tailgate trim!
I fitted the camera just above the number plate (which I had to remove and reposition lower down). I then fed the cable through a small hole I drilled in one of the number plate downlights. Using a length of stiff wire I was then able to pull the cable through, behind the tailgate panel, to the nearside rear light cluster and the single reversing light. I took a power feed off the reversing light supply cable and fitted a small socket, into which I connected the mating plug on the camera supply. I also 'wedging' the camera wireless transmitter into the space, and refitted the access panel.
Testing the system is a problem because the reversing light is only switched on with the engine running and DSG selected in reverse, obviously supplying torque to the wheels. I just pulled the handbrake on firmly to hold it. All worked!