PDA

View Full Version : audi 80 tdi gearbox

mac96
02-01-2012, 10:59 PM
hi all and a happy new year i have a audi tdi early 94 the 1 with the alloy airflow metre . i replaced the engine with a late 94 the 1 with black airflow metre ,out of my old audi tdi which has done 144.000 ,i did not change gearbox . but have found that car dose not pull aswell with the early 94 gearbox is it worth change gearbox aswell .as i have done a search and early 94 ratio is 182 and late 94 ratio is 202 can anyone help please thanks mac

scotty33
03-01-2012, 10:42 AM
I'm not sure what the ratio you post refers to? I doubt that the ratios of either box are unsuited to the engines characteristics. If you were happy with the way the car drove before, I wonder have you fitted all of the injection components of the donor car, or all from the receiving car, or a mix of both? There could be a problem with the engine's power, rather than the gearbox?

mac96
03-01-2012, 10:44 PM
hello mate only things changed was airflow metre, fuel pump ,pedal control , boxes that go to egr valve and airbox, and down pipe, just was reading on s2 forum that a member changed his engine and not gearbox on his audi 80tdi and he noticed his car was a bit sluggish and he changed gearbox and it run alot better and another member said this. yes, different ratios for the "old" 1Z engine, with ~182nm torque and for the latest 1Z engine with 202nm torque.

thanks for your help mac

scotty33
05-01-2012, 01:10 AM
I did not know there was a torque upgrade! I think if the engine is running correctly and all of the inj system is compatible then you may be happier with the gearbox to suit the torque you have. Before you do this, I would suggest you consider bigger injectors from a 110 or VW T4 van 150, a tuning box, or try the 'evry' mod which is cheapest. All would increase fuelling and therefore torque. Should be more than enough to pull the taller gears you have now?

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?49189-Cheap-Performance-Upgrade&highlight=evry

mac96
07-01-2012, 10:37 PM
thanks alot for your help. will try gearbox first may change injectors aswell thanks again mac