PDA

View Full Version : Flooded drivers footwell and rubber seal removal.

chatty123
01-01-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi All

I know there are lots of posts on here about this issue - I have this also and took my car to a mate who after struggling to take out the battery removed a rubber seal about 3 inches long and 1.5 inches wide from the bulkhead side. I heard all this water gushing out and it was a great deal of water. It was getting dark at this time so couldnt see where he had taken it out from. I was wondering what this rubber seal was, he said it a feed hole for extra cables etc and would have no effect on the running of the car etc. I tipped a kettle of water onto my windscreen and the water just drained away. I was thinking if it was a blockage where he pulled the rubber seal out it will now be ok, if it is still a blockage at the drain holes under the battery and servo would i still be expected to see water in and around the servo and battery?

Many thanks

Chatty

portovechios
01-01-2012, 05:23 PM
They are a bit like the old tea towel holders, like a cats ***

Just replace it and check it every now and again

Shine a torch down the side of the battery and you'll see water if its blocked

chatty123
01-01-2012, 06:39 PM
They are a bit like the old tea towel holders, like a cats ***

Just replace it and check it every now and again

Shine a torch down the side of the battery and you'll see water if its blocked

OK jusr checked some photos from this site - its a rubber seal underneath but to the front of the battery - this is draining the water, I take it this is OK?

Thanks
Chatty

portovechios
01-01-2012, 07:12 PM
Yep, there are two i think but def one under battery, just pome ya finge through if blocked, normally little bits of Leaves and moss,if the cars parked away from trees and stuff, check less often, heavy rain worth a check.

I think the danger with it is leaking through bulkhead to servo or ecu near the damp footwell

s-express
01-01-2012, 07:21 PM
a couple of pics of my scuttle with battery removed - might help you identify the rubber strip grommit?1539915400

chatty123
01-01-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks S-express

Looking at you first pic, if you look at the 2 black pipes at the top centre of your picture then come down about halfway you will see a round rubber seal, difficult to make out at first but it is there, this is what I think has been removed and the water is going straight out, this is what i am concerned about as i dont want the water to be draining where it is not supposed to for obvious reasons. Also any instructions on how to remove the battery would be good as we both had all the rubber strips off but couldn for the life of us figure our how to get to the clamp, any size tools needed would be great - picture attached courtesy of djgilson, its the rubber seal underneath the black pipe running left to right in the bottom of the picture in the centre.
http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/ii187/djjgilson/A4%20Battery/A4PlenumDrains003.jpg

s-express
01-01-2012, 08:15 PM
all you need to remove the battery is a long handled allen key (6mm from memory). The battery clamp is situated centrally on the front (engine) face of the battery. Undo it and the clamp has a handle which allows you to move it out of the way. Don't try to get it out - too much hassle, just shuffle the clmap along to your right. Then simply lift out the battery. Doesn't take long once you've undone the allen bolt. Battery is heavy tho! Prod something through the 2 drain-grommits as this is where all the water should go. Then once all clean and back together - order the B6 scuttle panel covers (8E 2 819 447 01C & 8E 2 819 422 A 01C) from Audi - they help keep the leaves out.

chatty123
01-01-2012, 08:25 PM
Thanks S-express, I take it the B6 scuttle covers fit the B7? To get to the battery clamp do i go down with the allen key e.eg. top to bottom of the battery?

Cheers

Chatty

kite
01-01-2012, 08:52 PM
B7=B6 in a posh frock.
yes the covers will fit..

chatty123
01-01-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks Kite

Chatty

s-express
01-01-2012, 10:46 PM
Thanks S-express, I take it the B6 scuttle covers fit the B7? To get to the battery clamp do i go down with the allen key e.eg. top to bottom of the battery?

Cheers

Chatty
Yep - its down the bottom. I used a ring spanner on the short end of the allen key to get some leverage.
pic of B6 scuttle on B7.....

djgilson
02-01-2012, 12:34 PM
To answer your original question, the rubber bung you’ve removed should leave an ideal drain hole as it’s so big that nothing should block it, ever. It will drain onto the same area as the two drain valves, and I don’t think there’s anything there that might object to being dripped on. And if the drain valves remain blocked it won’t matter.

But of course the other issue is the potential for fumes to be drawn into the car through the hole. You’ll have seen the recent lively debate on this, and the dubious wisdom of removing the (rather smaller) drain valve(s). I know which side I’m on, but you will have to make up your own mind! Presumably time will tell, if fumes are a problem?

The recent battery thread includes some further ideas on tools and procedures for battery removal.

portovechios
02-01-2012, 12:47 PM
I persnally think the fumes is a myth

Any noxious fumes will be blown away and so mixed with outside air and its more likely that air coming in through an open window is probably worse

Try it, if you can smell it then you have a problem

To be honest what fumes are there? The air filter is nearby and takes in the same air

(step back to be gunned down?) ;/

chatty123
02-01-2012, 01:05 PM
djgilson/portovechios - thanks for the advice, I have had no fume issues so far driving around today - i will at some point probably this coming weekend takeout the battery and check these drain plugs but as dggilson says if these drain to the same place as the drain plugs then I cannot see and issue, just wish we could have got the battery pout before it got to dark :mad:. Will try and find the battery link djgilson

Just out of interest if I am abehind a car which is blowing out a bit of smoke will I be able to smell the fumes through the heater/ac?

Many thanks

Chatty

portovechios
02-01-2012, 01:08 PM
yep

chatty123
02-01-2012, 01:19 PM
Cheers portovechios :)

djgilson
02-01-2012, 01:20 PM
Well yes that’s part of the argument as I see it. Normally, the cabin air is taken in at the base of the windscreen, above the worst of the traffic fumes. But if you open a path for air to be taken in from under the car, then there’s more potential for fumes to be drawn in, particularly in queueing traffic for example.

This is the battery thread http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?125520-How-many-people-have-changed-their-battery

chatty123
02-01-2012, 01:38 PM
Thankd djgilson and the battery thread very helpful - will give it a go this weekend :)

Cheers
Chatty