PDA

View Full Version : Question 1999 A4 Avant B5 (AVG) auto gearbox display stuck on 'D'

PaulF99
01-01-2012, 03:12 PM
Have had this car 5 years since buying second-hand from a friend and it has had been faultless apart from the occasional glitch with the auto gearbox. Had the gearbox oil changed 3 years ago which made things slightly better, but the thing has still been prone to intermittent strange gear-changes & glitches, nearly always when outside temp is below 5-6 degrees C (faulty sensors somewhere?)

The gearbox ECU got wet a year ago (blocked drain-holes in bulkhead) and the thing would not work properly at all for about a week until it had dried out. It was Ok in first, but when changing to 2nd it seemed as though it was engaging all the other gears at once and would just coast to a halt, despite revving engine. I removed the one-way drainage valves from the bulkhead area, let it dry out, and everything has worked fine - until now.

Today when driving in 'D', it seems to be stuck in 3rd all the time, although it is possible to overrride to 2nd or 1st using the gear-selector. Won't go into 4th at all at speed. The gearbox display is stuck on 'D' whatever I select (PRD321).

Have had a lot of rain lately & some of the symptoms seem to be similar to when the gearbox ECU got wet. There's no water collecting in the bulkhead though, so don't know how it could have got wet again.

I guess the next step is to get fault-codes read and work out whether the fault is mechanical or electrical.