PDA

View Full Version : Coolant temperature gauge & oil warning lamp

wblatchley
24-07-2007, 08:11 PM
Hi there,

I wonder if anyone can help...

My coolant gauge on the dash is intermittent - it sometimes stays at 0, and then flicks up to a 'normal' reading for a while, then back to 0. This has been going on for a while now, and I suspected a dodgy connection somewhere, but it didn't worry me too much.

In the last few days, I've also been getting an oil warning when I switch on the ignition. I checked the oil straight away, and it was pretty much full, so I'm guessing another electrical connection problem.

Could the two be related?

I check the wiring diagrams in my Peter Russek manual, but I can't figure out where in the engine compartment I would find the coolant temp. sender or what drives the oil warning light.

Any ideas anyone? Help much appreciated!

Cheers,

Will

Freshup
25-07-2007, 02:05 AM
Hi there,
What model vehicle?

wblatchley
25-07-2007, 10:15 AM
Sorry! What a stupid thing not to include in my post!!!

It's a 2.5 TDI diesel with an intercooler. Also, it's a syncro, if that has any bearing.

Any advice very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Will

Freshup
25-07-2007, 10:43 AM
Hi,
Coolant temp sender is mounted on the water outlet from the cylinder head. The upper unit should control the coolant circulation run on pump, the lower unit is the temp sender unit. The oil pressure sender is on front side of block below the injector pump. Could have 1 or 2 senders depending on model.
Hope this helps. John

wblatchley
25-07-2007, 10:57 AM
Thanks a lot for the info. I'll check out the connections later today.

Do they go directly from there to the dash? I was wondering if the two wires went through the same connector anywhere, which might be loose?

Thanks again,

Will

Freshup
25-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Sorry don't know for sure. Wires dissappear into loom. John

jonathan lovell
07-08-2007, 09:32 AM
i'm having the same problem with my 2.0 petrol Bora, did changing the oil pressure sensor and coolant thermostat eliminate the problem?
Cheers
J

wblatchley
07-08-2007, 10:05 AM
Hi J,

Sorry, I haven't got to the bottom of it yet. We're expecting a baby any day now, so I don't want to mess anything up in the van right now!!!

One thing I've noticed is that the oil warning lamp comes on pretty much guaranteed when you first switch on the ignition, but if you switch it off and on again, the warning lamp goes off and stays off until the next time I come to start the van. Don't know if that means anything.

I'm almost sure is just a connector loose somewhere, just don't know where!

I'll let you know if I get anywhere with it.

Good luck with yours,

Will