PDA

View Full Version : ambient lighting vs lighting package

robbyg
31-12-2011, 10:15 PM
Looking at my options for a new A6 avant.

Can anyone explain the difference between the lighting package and the ambient lighting package. The brochure doesn't really help and the local dealer is clueless.

The description for ambient basically repeats that for lighting package then mentions LED anti glare and floating effect.

Can you help?
thanks

man le-mans
31-12-2011, 10:39 PM
I think ambient lighting is the internal lighting with the LED lighting up the door cards on each door. Its a full strip that goes along the internal doors to light it up

MFGF
03-01-2012, 12:02 PM
Thanks - I wondered about that too. I have ordered the lighting package but not ambient lighting on mine - the hefty premium for ambient lighting didn't seem justified by the description of what it is in the brochure.

Cheers!

MF.

ricky_s
03-01-2012, 04:34 PM
I have the ambient package and to be honest, after a couple of weeks you don't even notice them any more.

robbyg
03-01-2012, 08:56 PM
ricky
please can you explain what the ambient lighting really is, and what control you have over colour, brightness, what parts are lit etc via the mmi?

Are all the surfaces lit as you drive or only as part of the entrance lighting?

Thanks

ricky_s
05-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Hi Robby,

As far as I can see you can only change the brightness and not the colour, which is white.

The doors are lit under the "arm rests" front and back, lights by the external door handles and cool looking LED lights in the door plates when the doors are open.

I can't remember if the lighting in the foot wells stays lit once underway.

I may well have forgotten something, but as I mentioned in my post before, you tend to not notice the lighting after a couple of weeks of ownership.

gbjk
02-02-2012, 10:17 AM
Ricky,

How about the main downlighters for the interior (driver/passenger lights) - Are those also LED.

I ordered Ambient lighting on the assumption they would be, but wasn't able to see it on anything, or get clarification from audi.

Would be good to know what ot expect when the car is delivered!

Thanks

ricky_s
02-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Ricky,

How about the main downlighters for the interior (driver/passenger lights) - Are those also LED.

I ordered Ambient lighting on the assumption they would be, but wasn't able to see it on anything, or get clarification from audi.

Would be good to know what ot expect when the car is delivered!

Thanks

Yes, all lights appear to be LED's

BigAid
06-02-2012, 08:16 AM
the lights in the footwells all stay on and in the door pockets whilst driving - they're all white in mine and the down lighters are red. The floating effect seems to be a strip of white light around the centre console about 4 inches down and goes forward into the footwells.

like this A8 video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuHg74trWOc but without the ambient light strip in the roof

robbyg
14-03-2012, 12:43 AM
GBJK has you car arrived yet?

Big Aid or Ricky, can you set the footwell lights and others so they are not on while you drive? The brochure or the dealer told me they are "fully configurable" through the mmi and have about 20 brightness settings, i am keen for it to be all lit up and funky when i switch on and get in, but when i am driving a want everything off.

BigAid
14-03-2012, 09:29 AM
You get one big dial setting in the MMI to choose the level of all the lights (no separate config of different lights) with lots of levels from off - quite bright.

There is no automatic change when your driving - you set the level and that's it on at that level all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ricky_s
14-03-2012, 09:36 AM
GBJK has you car arrived yet?

Big Aid or Ricky, can you set the footwell lights and others so they are not on while you drive? The brochure or the dealer told me they are "fully configurable" through the mmi and have about 20 brightness settings, i am keen for it to be all lit up and funky when i switch on and get in, but when i am driving a want everything off.

I'm not sure GBJK, can't check at the moment as it is with Audi who are fixing my rattly doors. Ironically I think the squeak is from the ambient lights!

robbyg
14-03-2012, 10:36 AM
I assume regardless of the ambient brightness settings you (or passengers) can still turn on "conventional" interior or reading lights while driving if you need to look at directions or open a drink etc?

gbjk
14-03-2012, 10:52 AM
Robby,

Nope. It's being delivered 5 weeks early now, so comes in a week and a bit.
Unfortunately I'm in the maldives when it'll probably arrive, but I should get to have it just before the end of this month.

Will try to remember to update this topic when I do.

BigAid
14-03-2012, 12:11 PM
Yep you can do they all work as normal independent of the ambient lighting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbjk
31-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Car delivered yesterday.

Looked at Ambient lighting last night.
It's much more subtle than the Lexus' was, and just illuminates the door cards and footwells really.
The downlighters are all LEDs, as said before.

Probably worth having, but I'd have to see one without it to be sure.

Timothy Nathan
31-03-2012, 09:16 AM
If it is too subtle, you have spotted that the brightness can be adjusted in the MMI?

gbjk
31-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Naturally :o)

I mean to say: There are far less LEDs, lighting far less of the car than in my lexus.

robbyg
31-03-2012, 02:58 PM
sounds good. subtle i like.
I ordered it in the end. whats another £300...

Enjoy your new motor gbjk :)

Timothy Nathan
31-03-2012, 03:39 PM
what's another £300...
Using that logic, it's easy to turn a £30k car into an £80k car.

I could easily have spent hugely more, but am happy with what I got.

robbyg
31-03-2012, 04:25 PM
very true. I drew the line at BOSE / B&O and the expensive but very nice looking sunroof...

DeltaCity
15-09-2015, 07:55 AM
Hi all,

I've just bought a secondhand facelift Avant, registered Nov 2014. I think I just have the lighting pack because I don't have illuminated door sills or the floating effect down the sides of the centre console. However, I do have the led strips at the top of the door cards and the red LEDs shining down from the bulkhead, also LEDs in the outside door handles. I believe the ambient pack gives you extra LEDs lower down in the door, perhaps under the armrests, illuminating the door pockets.

can someone with just the lighting pack tell me if they have any lights inside the centre storage? Either the bit which lifts up and houses the usb sockets or the bit which is where the ash tray used to be, with the sliding cover. I have no lights in mine and I think I should.

cheers
DC

Bar Shaker
15-09-2015, 11:55 AM
I have Interior Lighting. I had ambient lighting on my last A6.

On my last car it had a nice blue light in the footwells, in recesses above the arm rests and from the roof lighting console, so they shone onto the central controls.

The Interior Lighting is much more basic. It only lights up the footwells but you can configure the brightness. It stays on when you are driving but you don't see it unless you look down.

I understand you can turn this on with Vagcom for free, so i would do that, rather than pay for it.

Hellodave.
15-09-2015, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

I've just bought a secondhand facelift Avant, registered Nov 2014. I think I just have the lighting pack because I don't have illuminated door sills or the floating effect down the sides of the centre console. However, I do have the led strips at the top of the door cards and the red LEDs shining down from the bulkhead, also LEDs in the outside door handles. I believe the ambient pack gives you extra LEDs lower down in the door, perhaps under the armrests, illuminating the door pockets.

can someone with just the lighting pack tell me if they have any lights inside the centre storage? Either the bit which lifts up and houses the usb sockets or the bit which is where the ash tray used to be, with the sliding cover. I have no lights in mine and I think I should.

Yes, you have the lighting pack. The ambient lighting pack gives you illuminated door sills, door pockets, "floating" centre console and completely different front and rear ceiling lights which are all LED. It also enabled the door card and centre console ambient lighting while driving, though you can activate this (minus the lights you don't have) with VCDS.

As far as I know, no option included lighting for the centre storage or ashtray (which I always thought was odd!).