PDA

View Full Version : Question Rattle from Door Pillar

John140
30-12-2011, 05:11 PM
I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a rattle from the drivers side door pillar area when driving round town or other slow driving over rough roads ?
I believe this may be a known problem but cant find any posts about it. If anyone else has had this waht was the fix please ?

C172s
31-12-2011, 03:26 PM
Yes Ive got it too on my 2010 A4 Saloon S Line.

Its a little annoying as Ive had previous generations of Audi without a rattle on slow and bumpy roads. I still love my car though and would not drive anything else!

I remember there was a thread on here about this issue. I guess you'll have to search for it but a few guys reckon its a bad window design. Some thought it was the seatbelt,..and some the door seal.

I'm not a tekkie but some suggested using a silicon spray on the door seal? I stand to be corrected, but like I say, there is a thread on here.

Good luck.

John140
31-12-2011, 10:02 PM
An update on the situation, still have the rattle usually when driving round town at low speeds, but if I open the window a few mm its gone. This does seem to point to the seal, I will have a look at this tomorrow.

John140
01-01-2012, 06:45 PM
Final update, have now massaged silicone grease into and around all of the seal beads at the top and side of drivers door (taking care not to leave any surplus), problem solved, no mor crackly rattle from door pillar area. Fingers a bit greasy though.

thescouselander
02-01-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the tip. I have this rattle too - I'll try the same.

jakerade
05-01-2012, 08:46 AM
is that the window seal or the door seal?

John140
06-01-2012, 02:24 PM
I massaged silicone grease on all of the rubber around the window frame, didn't touch the squishy seal that is on the body which contacts the door when closed if this makes sense. I have to emphasize that you need to work a film of silicone into all of the flaps of rubber to fix the problem properly.

mr mugello
07-02-2013, 10:12 PM
Just bought a new 1.8 black edition and mine too has that damm rattle/thud noise coming from around top of window pillar on driver's side when going over a large bump. Will be going back to dealer and hope they have a fix by now due to being a common niggly problem. Seems after doing a search that problem is very common with just driver side for some reason.

gregpot2000
10-02-2013, 04:14 PM
Yeah to echo how common it is. Have this on my 08 car. And my dad's 61 plate developed at a few months old. So obviously it hasn't been resolved in later production runs. Silicone grease helped for me. But it always seems to come back after a few months

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

mr mugello
10-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Thought I'd try giving the silicon spray lubricant a go. The windows were squeaking badly on opening and closing so needed attention too. Just a liitle spray around the door seem's to have sorted the problem out for now.

dvg
12-02-2013, 03:30 PM
Yup, my 2012 car has this. Developed it within months. Mentioned when it went in to have a couple of things looked at and I think they greased it as when the car gets wet now get 2 greasy drip marks down either side of the car!!!!

gregpot2000
12-02-2013, 04:02 PM
Yup, my 2012 car has this. Developed it within months. Mentioned when it went in to have a couple of things looked at and I think they greased it as when the car gets wet now get 2 greasy drip marks down either side of the car!!!!

Interesting.....Is your car a facelift?

Would be interesting to know if it still wasn't sorted out when they had a slight re-design of the car, as you would think this is the time when they would address common issues and niggles!

dvg
14-02-2013, 02:25 PM
Yeah it is a facelift.

eob
14-02-2013, 04:10 PM
+1 here too!
N/S rear passenger side.
September 2012 car!!!

Rapidly getting sick of this car.

gregpot2000
14-02-2013, 06:18 PM
Might sound odd but what's the temperature like? My windscreen seal rattles when it's freezing outside, but I thought this may be normal. As if the rubber is frozen and hard it can't 'move' and absorb forces in the same way as if it was normal and soft. So it just clatters about. My door frame does it whatever the weather though!

eob
14-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Might sound odd but what's the temperature like? My windscreen seal rattles when it's freezing outside, but I thought this may be normal. As if the rubber is frozen and hard it can't 'move' and absorb forces in the same way as if it was normal and soft. So it just clatters about. My door frame does it whatever the weather though!

same as everywhere else, around 6 degrees or below.
It probably is temperature related and no doubt will disappear come the spring, but that's the kind of quality you'd expect with a Yugo, not a 35k Audi!

mr mugello
14-02-2013, 09:47 PM
You would think the boffins at Audi would be very embarrassed to hear that their cars suffer from rattle/noise issues and get it sorted out.

eob
14-02-2013, 10:36 PM
You would think the boffins at Audi would be very embarrassed to hear that their cars suffer from rattle/noise issues and get it sorted out.

You would think, but my experience so far of Audi customer service sucks!
I went with three very specific issues when I first got the avant and the service guy's attitude was "that's the way it is" "take it or leave it"
I've had much, much better service from VW, BMW and even Vauxhall.