PDA

View Full Version : Please Help B2 Suspension

flyingbanana
30-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Hi I have an '87 B2 Coupe, I'm looking to change the springs and dampers and was wondering if anyone knows if I can use any other suspension kits from the VAG parts bin?

cheers

Jason

scotty33
03-01-2012, 11:01 AM
Hi

I once had a 1987 80 quattro 1.8 which was the newrr type 89 shape. At that age it still had the same suspension set up as the earlier type 85 cars. I fitted upgraded suspension, PI lowering springs and Boge turbogas shockers.

I believe you could get suspension parts from a later model to fit, but the whole setup is different, i.e the anti roll bar/droplinks and wishbones, all later cars use 4 x 108 pcd wheelbolt pattern, same as earlier 5 cyl cars, but earlier 4 cyl use 4 x 100mm, so you could get into wheel bearing changes depending which you have? The early type setup uses outer cv's with a long spline with a protruding male thread, the later type (post 1988 I think?) Has a shorter spline with a female thread in the end for a retaining bolt, You would probably need all this too, depending on model/engine, there are 74mm and 82mm wheel bearings at the front. I would expect spring rates to be a problem the later cars are much heavier. Suggest you browse Vagcat, it is free to register and use the parts catalog, tis a bit of a minefield!

flyingbanana
05-01-2012, 10:47 AM
Cheers, I'm just looking to change the springs really. It's been lowered and it's far to low at the back. I will have a look at what 89 springs are available, having looked at the front suspension I take it the damper are inserts?

scotty33
06-01-2012, 10:34 PM
When I changed suspension on my old car (early type 89), the front shocks were not inserts as such, the strut tube forms the shock body. When you undo the cap, only the piston and rod come out. any oil needs to be removed. The new shocks WERE inserts which fitted inside the strut tube.
Just had a quick look, PI are still in business, they offer 2 kits which potentially fit your car is it 2wd or quattro? Both lower by 40mm. The strange thing is, both spring kits are also listed as suitable for later post 1991 coupes. Suggests that the springs are probably physically compatible from the later type 89 models? (The rear suspension from B4 saloon models both 2wd and quattro, is different again from the later type 89 cars. The type 89 coupe and B4 shape coupe had no changes to the suspension)

http://www.p-i.co.uk/audi_c33935_33936_1475_1477.htm

flyingbanana
08-01-2012, 10:41 AM
Ah, that clears something up for me, cheers. have seen listed 86>91 which I couldn't understand as mines an 87 car and the went up to 88 iirc. That opens more up to me then, right onto ebay it is and look at the 86>91 spring kits.