PDA

View Full Version : Laptop - opinions please

fat controller
26-12-2011, 12:19 PM
Looks like my laptop is about to bite the dust - running very hot at times, bits of the casing are fractured (cracked but still hanging on for now), optical drive hasn't worked in a couple of years and over the last week or so, the wifi has started to work only intermittently. I suspect that the wifi fault is a hardware issue, as the illuminating 'Satellite' logo on the front edge of the machine also goes on and off.

Now, I am not complaining, as this laptop has to be at least four of five years old, which I suspect is pretty ancient in laptop world), and has been used pretty much daily a bit like a Mars bar (work, rest & play :biglaugh:)

So, I am considering a new one. Me being me, started off looking at the £500-£600 range, and have gradually worked up, and am now looking at:

Sony Vaio VPCF23N1E (http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-f-series/vpcf23n1e)

or the VPCF23p1E (http://www.sony.co.uk/product/vn-f-series/vpcf23p1e)

I must admit that I have taken a bit of a shine to the P1, simply because it seems to be so well specified that I am unlikely to want or need anything more for another five years?

Any opinions gratefully received.

fat controller
27-12-2011, 11:35 PM
Hope nobody comes back with any horror stories about these - I plumped for the P1 in the end, spurred on by a nice discount and the ability to buy now pay later, interest free for a year :)

Fife Mark III
05-01-2012, 07:15 PM
To date haven't heard a bad word againt the Viao .... in fact even know some folk who traded in Apple Mac for them
Pretty sure you are going to struggle to find something it wont cope with for a few years at least

sooty
22-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Back in the days I would have said avoid the Sony Viao's however things have changed.
They are very good.

I'd go for the VPCF23P1E if there is not much difference in price as it has the FULL HD screen

Cyberplod
15-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Sony is good kit, but has a tendency to get warm. If you actually use it as a lap top (i.e. resting on your knee) it would make sense to get a laptop rest - or even a tray or piece of board - to ensure a proper airflow through the system. They have thermal cutouts that reduce power to the CPU as it gets hot, so if it starts getting deadly slow make sure that that nice cool air is there!