PDA

View Full Version : How much data does Google Maps use ???

dgarside
21-12-2011, 07:12 PM
Before anyone starts :-) I know this is a very open ended question, but I'm just about to pick up my A6 with tech pack and from what I've heard the iPhone 4 doesn't allow the data connection to be shared (sim profile access or something).... therefore I need a data sim for the car for online services.

Couple of options I've found are 3Gb on 3 network £11 (lasts 3 months) and 12Gb on 3 network for £65 (lasts 12 months).

I think I'm going to try the 3Gb data card and see how things go, but wondered if anyone had any experience or advice ???

Many Thanks,

Darren.

aurora7
21-12-2011, 08:27 PM
Darren

The real issue/annoyance is that you can't use your separate data card at the same time as your iPhone. I wanted to use a PAYG sim for maps/online services and I have an iPhone. You can't have both running at the same time (see the thread in the A7 forum called "MMI Navigation Plus/Online Services/Mobile Phones".

I still use a PAYG sim from 3 occasionally but pop it out of the dash when I am likely to need the phone. In my experience it doesn't use that much data, also Google Maps caches data so it will reuse map data already downloaded (not sure how long for, but it helps cut down data traffic). I would suggest getting the 3Gb sim from 3 and see how you go. There's an option in the connections setting that shows how much data you've used in a session.

Good luck and enjoy your new car!

dgarside
21-12-2011, 09:00 PM
Thanks for the reply, much appreciated.... unless anyone else comes up with any alternatives, I think that's the best idea.

Cheers

Darren.

gregpawley
28-12-2011, 04:38 PM
After a few problems getting my Vodafone data to connect through my Nokia E7 (had to enter the APN settings manually) it works fine,m as for data usage it seems just to take a few meg here and there nothing excessive.

Reading the handbook 2.5Gb of the hard drive is used to store downloaded maps cached so this helps to keep data usage to a minimum, another feature is that the map automatically zooms out to lower the resolution and lessen the data usage.

The online search function is amazing, you no longer need to know the address of where you are going, just do a search as with Google and you are done.

The news feature is a little disappointing online worldwide Reuters and a German source available would be great if you could get BBC news.

One little trick I have just done is that when the phone connects via remote sim mode the phone goes offline, however I have now contacted the phone viz Wifi to the car, it then uses the data connection to receive emails etc on my phone.

Regards,

Greg.

ianfarnham
09-01-2012, 10:25 PM
A late reply to this but I used about 500Mb of data using Google Earth maps to drive around 3 to 4000 miles - sorry a little inaccurate but I dont always have the map running for local journies or when other use the car and my phone is not in it ! I dont tend to use the WLAN to run a laptop in the car so I'm pretty sure the Data Connection meter is only reading data to run the navigation. So reasonably meagre in terms of data use.

dgarside
10-01-2012, 12:21 PM
Cheers Ian, much appreciated.