PDA

View Full Version : Hidden menus

ricky_s
21-12-2011, 11:31 AM
Hi All,

Was thinking, I know cars often come with options that are turned off but if you hack the system you can use them? Are there any hacks on the new one yet? Hidden menus?

Cheers,

Ricky

MFGF
21-12-2011, 02:24 PM
I imagine it will be fun to find out when mine arrives. I have VCDS, but I fully expect the label files to be missing for a good while yet. If MMI 3G+ is based on MMI 3G then maybe some of the existing tricks will still work, but I can't start to experiment until the end of April when I get my new car.

Cheers!

MF.

dgarside
22-12-2011, 12:50 PM
Will give it a go when I pick mine up on 3rd Jan :-) I'm sure there will be the usual hidden menu's, have been on nearly every car I've had.

Darren.

MFGF
22-12-2011, 01:27 PM
The MMI hidden menu on my current A6 needs to be enabled using VCDS before you can get into it. I would imagine it will be the same on the 4g. I could well be wrong, though :)

a8 tech
22-12-2011, 03:24 PM
I have access to mmi 3g+ A1,D4 A8, A7 and New A6 hidden menu for activating bt and enable ami plus jukebox copying etc

MFGF
22-12-2011, 03:39 PM
I have access to mmi 3g+ A1,D4 A8, A7 and New A6 hidden menu for activating bt and enable ami plus jukebox copying etc

Good to know! I may pick your brain after April for the steps to enable jukebox copying if you're willing.

a8 tech
22-12-2011, 03:40 PM
No problem, it took best part of a day to find the combi for the mmi keys but the vcds enable is the same

Once I found it I forgot the buttons in order lol

I have the sequence save on a word doc but its locked in my tool box and I'm on holiday

MFGF
23-12-2011, 12:40 PM
I'm impressed! It is tricky to get into the hidden menu even when you know exactly which buttons to press and hold! If you don't get them pressed at the exact same moment you need to try again (and again and again if you're like me!). Finding the right buttons by trial and error is a huge achievement. You must be a very patient soul!! :)

MF.

a8 tech
03-01-2012, 04:20 PM
All done for new a6 hidden menu
Vcds 5f then 10 then channel 5 not 6 !!!!!!
Set to 1 save reset mmi

Press car the menu and wait for the screen to change

To reset press menu then centre button and right soft key

Sent from my iPhone using
My fat fingers

shabazmo
03-01-2012, 05:32 PM
Hi A8 Tech,

Any idea how to add High Beam assist to an A7. This was only a £160 option which I forgot to tick. Audi says I need a new windscreen which I don't believe. There msut be a simpler solution. In the meantime I will try your hiddden menus above.
Regards

f33nix
03-01-2012, 06:31 PM

shabazmo
03-01-2012, 07:10 PM
Thanks for a quick reply. I do have both rain and light sensors for wipers and headlights. These are standard on the A7, so on that basis is there anything I can do to check whether a quick fix is possible.

a8 tech
03-01-2012, 07:59 PM
For hidden menu for A7 use channel 06 to enable the 5f, as for the high beam I will look into it

a8 tech
03-01-2012, 08:13 PM
Hi A8 Tech,

Any idea how to add High Beam assist to an A7. This was only a £160 option which I forgot to tick. Audi says I need a new windscreen which I don't believe. There msut be a simpler solution. In the meantime I will try your hiddden menus above.
Regards

The distributed "Headlight Assist" function

The Headlight Assist function is distributed among
the Headlight Assist control unit J844 and the
onboard power supply control unit J519 . The Headlight
Assist control unit J844 determines from the
camera image the current ambient conditions and
the traffic situation ahead of the vehicle. The Headlight
Assist control unit receives via the CAN bus
information on the vehicle's current speed and the
instruction of the rain and light detector sensor to
switch the dipped headlights on or off. Depending
on this information, the Headlight Assist control
unit sends to the onboard power supply control unit
J519 a recommendation to switch the main-beam
headlights on or off.

The onboard power supply control unit J519 implements
the operating logic in its software. When the
headlight control stalk is moved forward or back,
the onboard power supply control unit J519 calculates
the next state depending on the current state
(main-beam headlights on or off; Headlight Assist
activated or deactivated). Depending on the next
state, the onboard power supply control unit activates
or deactivates the Headlight Assist System or
switches the main-beam headlights on or off.
The onboard power supply control unit also utilises
CAN messages to control status displays and fault
texts belonging to the Headlight Assist function in
the dash panel insert.

On vehicles fitted with xenon headlights, the mainbeam
headlights are switched on by activating the
two dipped headlight shutters V294 and V295. In
this case, the dipped and main beams on each side
of the vehicle are realised by a single gas discharge
lamp only.

On vehicles equipped with halogen headlights, the
dipped and main beams are separate. Accordingly,
the onboard power supply control unit activates
the two main-beam headlights M30 and M32
directly in order to switch on the main beam.

a8 tech
03-01-2012, 08:18 PM
Headlight Assist control unit J844:

The Headlight Assist control unit J844 sends to the
onboard power supply control unit J519 a recommendation
to switch the main-beam headlights on
or off depending on the current vehicle, traffic and
ambient conditions. The current traffic and ambient
conditions are determined from the images produced
by the Headlight Assist camera.

Onboard power supply control unit J519:
The onboard power supply control unit J519 indicates
to the dash panel insert control unit J285
whether the warning lamp of the main-beam headlights
and the Headlight Assist System have to be
activated or not. If necessary, onboard power supply
control unit also instructs fault texts to be displayed
in the centre display of the dash panel insert.

Data bus diagnostic interface J533:

The data bus diagnostic interface J533 serves the
exchange of messages between various CAN data
bus systems. The accessibility of the Headlight
Assist control unit J844 and the operability of individual
bus systems can also be checked for diagnostic
purposes.

ABS control unit J104:

The ABS control unit J104 keeps the Headlight
Assist control unit J844 continuously informed of
the current vehicle speed. This information is
required because the Headlight Assist System has
to take various speed thresholds into account. The
Headlight Assist System also receives from control
unit J104 the yaw rate, which is required
for auto-calibration of the Headlight Assist function.
Control unit with display in dash panel insert J285
The control unit with display in dash panel insert
J285 receives from the onboard power supply control
unit J519 the information as to whether the
Headlight Assist System is currently activated or
not. Accordingly, the Headlight Assist status indicator
lamp in the dash panel insert is switched on or
off. When a fault occurs, the customer is also
informed by means of fault texts. The control unit
with display in dash panel insert J285 also receives
this information from the onboard power supply
control unit J519.

Steering column electronics control unit J527:

The steering column electronics control unit J527
indicates to the onboard power supply control unit
J519 whether the main-beam stalk has been moved
forward or back. The operating logic in the onboard
power supply control unit requires this information.

Rotary light switch E1:

The rotary light switch E1 indicates to the onboard
power supply control unit the current position of
the rotary light switch. The Headlight Assist can
only be activated in the AUTO position.
Rain and light detector sensor G397:
The rain and light detector sensor G397 instructs
the onboard power supply control unit J519 to
switch the dipped headlights or on off, due to the
momentary ambient conditions. The Headlight
Assist System can only the activate or deactivate
main-beam headlights if the dipped headlights are
currently "on" at the instruction of the rain and light

f33nix
03-01-2012, 08:51 PM

a8 tech
03-01-2012, 08:55 PM
you need to replace headlight flasher stalk also

MFGF
03-01-2012, 10:56 PM
All done for new a6 hidden menu
Vcds 5f then 10 then channel 5 not 6 !!!!!!
Set to 1 save reset mmi

Press car the menu and wait for the screen to change

To reset press menu then centre button and right soft key

Sent from my iPhone using
My fat fingers

Cracking stuff A8!! Thanks so much for this! I will file it away until my car gets delivered.

Cheers!

MF.

shabazmo
03-01-2012, 11:52 PM
Firstly thanks to A8 and F33 for your detailled responses. I have had a good look at my car and notice the following. The mirror is 8R0 857 511 B. Do I assume that there is a headlight assist camera built into the mirror on the 511E version. My mirror seems to have a lens/sensor facing the front of the car as well as one stuck on the windscreen. I will try and up-load a photo. Regarding the stalk, I think I have the correct one as it moves as described in the owners manual for high beam assist. Finally, I do not have can bus wiring at the rear view mirror so that will have to be purchased and wired through. I will need the part number. Perhaps time to buy latest ETKA

This is beginning to get a bit complicated. I think I need to find a car that already has high beam assist, if only to check the parts of mirrors and wiring etc. I would be grateful if you guys can add any more light on the subject.

shabazmo
04-01-2012, 12:01 AM

Rear View mirror from the front of the car showing a sensor type feature on the right

nealeb
04-01-2012, 10:28 PM
For someone who hasn't seen these "hidden menus" for themselves, what nice extras does this give? Not that I have VCDS to enable it, anyway:) And do the settings get blown away if your friendly local Audi dealer does a firmware update or something like that?

I like the description of what's happening behind the dash for the high-beam assist function. Can't imagine the complexity of what goes on with the adaptive/steering headlights ("the nav system tells the lights which country you're in so they know which way to dip" - I paraphrase the manual) or the beam-shaping for the LED headlights!

I am a bit surprised about the need for a new dip-switch stalk for adding high-beam assist, though, as the two stalks seem to do exactly the same thing (spring-loaded to centre position and with the same movements) and it sounds like it's the electronics which monitor switch movement and work out what to do next. Not like the good old days when there was a bit of wire from the light switch to the headlamp bulb... The two switches do have different symbols marked on them, though! I'm not arguing with any of the Audi experts here, BTW, just expressing mild surprise at an Audi design feature.

shabazmo
07-01-2012, 01:43 PM

Rear View mirror from the front of the car showing a sensor type feature on the right

Firstly, many thanks to A8 for sending me some technical information on the High beam assist system. Apparently I do no have the headlight assist camera which is located in the rear housing of the rear view mirror. I also do not have the can wiring. I will now try to source both of these and then figure out how it all goes together and programming. What a pity i did not order this at the time of purchasing the car.

a8 tech
07-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Ok as vcds has limitations on long code helper send a full scan to ross tech support or the Lcode helper app supporters

Please post a scan and you need to have address 20 (J844 Main Beam Assist) installed

Wiring wise its extended canbus but it looks fairly straight forward

shabazmo
08-01-2012, 06:12 PM
My first action is to obatin a rear view mirror of the correct part number and the wiring. Any idea on the part number of the wiring. I can't find it on ETKA.

a8 tech
10-01-2012, 07:34 PM
you should if you have used the link from the other forum (hush hush) be able to link the wires from the mirror when you select it on etka

these will only be the plug wire kit then you need to go to each control unit and do the same then add the length joining the wires as the kits are only 12 inches long

i use maplins for the main wiring and oem for the end sections if that makes sense

you always end up buying the wrong wires anyway and I have more audi wiring than hair in my head

shabazmo
11-01-2012, 12:15 AM
Thanks for that A8. For other interested parties I have found a picture of the high beam assist rear view mirror
http://www.drivertechnologies.com/wordpress/archives/3

shabazmo
12-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Just hit a slight problem in that I found out the price of the all important rear view morror 8K0 857 511E and the price is £397. I think I will wait for a second hand one to hit the market. Must be my Scottish heritage.

f33nix
12-01-2012, 05:51 PM

DR_A6
12-01-2012, 08:13 PM
quick question to you MMI guys, can you prevent the screen popping up on start up? is this a standard option through the settings or through the diag kit?

kromol
06-11-2016, 05:05 PM
Hi a8 tech,

Thanks for very useful hint. I have Audi A6 from the end of 2015 with Rear LED Matrix taillights (after facelifting). Channel 5 solved my problem with hidden menu. Now I'm faceing other problem. It turns out that my Audi was dedicated to the Portuguese market. Most likely because of local regulations, the Rear LED Full Dynamic taillights was turned off. It works now "normal way" (sequentially). I wish to turn on Full Dynamic way of working. Do you know how to do that? The security code I'm usung doesn't work. After many attempts I was stuck in place. Any advice appreciated. Any suggestions?

Regards,
MK