PDA

View Full Version : Audi A4 V5 paperwork

clio222
15-12-2011, 11:53 AM
Hi all looking for some advice guidance if possible.

Recently purchased a secondhand A4 S line B8 S Line 59 Plate from authorised Audi dealer. Prior to purchase I asked how many previous owners reply from sales rep should be 1,this was only verbal and is not noted any where. purchased car and on receiving V5 last week it states " No of former owners 5" meaning I.m now the 6th owner !!!. I,m happy with the car my only concern is the resale value, if I had known it had 5 former owners I would not have purchased the car.

What is the best way forward, I have e mailed the sales rep last week no reply and called garage this morning awaiting reply, I,m obviously considering lodging an official complaint but who too ?? Is it the garage or Audi UK, what am my rights don't want to cause a fuss but not happy at present

thanks

Issac Hunt
15-12-2011, 12:35 PM
6 owners on a 59 plate car! It might be a lemon if no-one has kept it very long. Maybe it just passed through a few finance places etc, I'd still want to know if it was mine though.

I'd be visiting the dealer in person to see what they have to say. However with no proof of what you were told I wouldnt expect much from them. You cant find any paperwork/correspondance/adverts for the car stating one owner?

clio222
15-12-2011, 12:41 PM
Afraid not visited a reputable authorised Audi Dealer who run several audi dealer garages ( dont want to mention their name )who stated that they had an A4 coming in as a trade in and it met all the criteria I was after, when the V5 arrived I was shocked especially as the last owner was register to their address ???? Not sure where I stand legally however deception springs to mind

thanks for the reply anyone else with any advice

mhurer
16-12-2011, 07:27 AM
I would also double check with the DVLA as they have been known to make mistakes - they did a few years back on my V5.

If it is not a mistake then personally I would return the car as 5 owners in 2 years suggests it's a lemon.

Eshrules
16-12-2011, 09:32 AM
There's no grounds to return the car, (if not mechcanially sound, the garage has to be given fair opportunity to repair any faults).

Unless you have the original advert or Bill of sale, on which the number of owners is stated, you've got nowhere to go I'm afraid. He said she said is of no consequence here.

SoGA states the vehicle must be fit for it's purpose and as described, which it appears to be. http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/738369/738378/forcustomersflyer_pdf.pdf

I had the same thing with my first car but in my case, I was lucky enough to have the original advert. I was offered a 10% refund on the purchase price which I accepted.

In terms of what to do now, I'd get the car checked out by a friendly indy if possible, get any faults identified and ask the supplying dealer to repair them all - I would expect them to oblige.

Guest 2
16-12-2011, 11:18 AM
All Approved Audi's come (should) with a Hpi report which shows the number of owners. Did you get this and if you did, what did it say relating to the owners?

clio222
16-12-2011, 04:42 PM
Thanks all,
The vehicle came with most reports in a grey folder but not all
Came with: Multi-point check certificate, Service History Check, 30 day/1000 miles exchange, Approved Warranty, Handover Checklist, Finance Documents, receipt documents, key insurance cover.

Missing Independent vehicle mileage check, Vehicle History Check, V5( due to private plate going on car which I now have.

This is no mickey mouse company so not to pleased spoke to the Sales Manger yesterday who is going to contact DVLA to confirm owners also chase up missing documentation, my main concern is not of ownership history to a certain extent but resale value I might I have problem selling so looking for compensation of some sort howev what is the concensus of opinion should I be concerned about history ownership and what compensation should I be striving for for resolution ?????

thank yoy

Issac Hunt
16-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Hmm well if you have no proof that it was sold to you as a "one owner" car, as mentioned above I cant see you have a leg to stand on.

You've certainly no grounds to return it thats for sure as its not actually faulty (yet).

If you didnt obtain/see any written documentation saying one owner then I cant see that the dealer owes you anything. I'd push for a free service or something like that - I wouldnt expect much though.

Its hard to place a figure on the damage it might do to future value. Some folk wont be bothered whereas others wouldnt go anywhere near it. Depends how long you keep the car for as well. you keep it 10 years then 5/6 owners is no issue at all.

You'll have to chalk it down to experience and learn from it. Most of us have been there at some stage - I bought a car advertised as FSH, dealer mislaid book and said would post it on. When it turned up it was missing a few stamps. Not the end of the world I know, but it taught me to check to 100% check every piece of paper when buying a car. Now if anything is missing/dodgy/odd when buying a car I walk away. there will always be another one.

Are you within 30 days/1000 miles for the exchange program?

clio222
16-12-2011, 06:29 PM
Yes well within the 30 days, picked up the vehicle 7th December