PDA

View Full Version : Run out of Diesel - won't start 1st time

bigman30
11-12-2011, 06:51 PM
Hi

I just picked up a 56 plate 3.0 tdi s-line yesterday from Birmingham and on the drive back to Scotland it broke down just after crossing the border. Hadn't skipped a beat in the 240 miles before that. I ended up being recovered home and AA managed to get it started this morning. There is obviosuly something wrong with the fuel gauge as it had a range of 200miles with a quarter of a tank and the diagnosis was that it had run out of fuel. So it is now starting and is booked into Audi for 2 weeks time to get the gauge looked at.
However it isn't starting 1st time, usually on the 4th turn (of engine not key). Before it ran out of fuel it started on the 1st turn no problems (I think I started it about 5 times between test drive and drive home). There is 40litres in the tank now.

Does anyone know what could be causing this? It is running fine but I am a bit sceptical about it starting on me now due to the problems. I have started it 4 times today and it has always fired up but on the 3rd or 4th turn.

Thanks for any help! Apart from all the above it's a grear car!

phil miller
11-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Prob the electric fuel pump in the tank has packed up which also has the gauge sensor built into I as well, have replaced afew lately with the same prob as yours mate

bigman30
11-12-2011, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the prompt reply.

So the car will run ok without a fully working electric fuel pump? Is this something my local garage should be able to fix or will it need to go to Audi garage? 2 weeks is a bit of a long time to wait! How much does it cost to replace?

Thanks again!

phil miller
12-12-2011, 12:24 AM
iirc the pump is about £150 ish your local should be able to sort it not a problem, as for it running ok it could let you down, but it would prob be first thing in the morning, let us know how you get on mate

bigman30
14-12-2011, 11:26 PM
Hi

Had it in local garage today. Starting problem had more or less resolved itself just before I took it in anyway so that's ok. They said they couldn't see anything untoward except there was "fuel on filter housing". Not too sure what that means really! They bled fuel system and reset fuel trip computer but seems same as before. So off to Audi it goes next week!

Sinspeed
15-12-2011, 01:55 AM
Could be crap from bottom of tank being sucked up but then on a 3yr old car I would be very surprised but it does sound as though the primary fuel pump may be at fault. Keen to hear the outcome on this one.

bigman30
15-12-2011, 09:37 AM
5 years old so yeah. But the running out of fuel seems to have been fixed no problem now as the car is running fine and starting fine. It is just the fuel gauge and mpg computer that is at fault now. The fuel gauge I don't think is reading acurately still, though I don't want to fill it up and lose a tank of fuel if Audi have to drain the tank next week. The mpg readout is definetly awry, 0mpg reading all the time and the range went UP to 750miles this morning. I reckon there is about 40 litres in the tank at the moment! Even if it was full that would be a bit optimistic!

bigman30
20-12-2011, 02:55 PM
Car in with Audi today. They've said there's nothing wrong with fuel gauge instrument so are having to strip out back seats and carpet to have a look at fuel senders, which they think is the problem. £90 for initial diagnosis and £120 for 2 hours to strip out car to get to fuel tank. Hopefully they'll find the problem quickly and can get it sorted but the bill is racking up already! Hope the dealer I bought it from stays true to his word and pays for it after all this...... Will update later on Audi's findings.

aleem
24-01-2012, 12:21 AM
I hope you have better luck with your dealer. Mine is saying they want to locate a Q7 with the same engine code to 'try swapping some parts' in order to diagnose a long cranking issue. That's after they have taken almost £700 for replacing the fuel filter housing which they 'diagnosed' as causing the problem, followed by a replacement battery because the problem was still there. Is this typical of Audi Dealers, or is my local one just rubbish?

baylissboy
24-01-2012, 09:44 PM
I hope you have better luck with your dealer. Mine is saying they want to locate a Q7 with the same engine code to 'try swapping some parts' in order to diagnose a long cranking issue. That's after they have taken almost £700 for replacing the fuel filter housing which they 'diagnosed' as causing the problem, followed by a replacement battery because the problem was still there. Is this typical of Audi Dealers, or is my local one just rubbish?Your dealer's rubbish!!