PDA

View Full Version : My 16v coupe just wont start.

robonmac
09-12-2011, 03:25 PM
Hello to all,i am new to this forum so i may aswell start with an awkward problem.
I have a 1993 2.0 16v coupe with 220,000 miles on the clock although i have completely rebuilt the engine in the past six months or so.
Just last week after running fine with no signs at all i came to start the car one morning and nothing happened-no cranking,no fuel pump priming and no starter turning.The battery was six years old so i decided to stick in a new one.Still the same!
i noticed that only the abs light came on along with the handbrake light also when turning the ignition key but none of the others-strange? i assumed that the culprit was the ignition switch and so changed that too,a cheapo one off ebay for £7-still the same but this time the red circle with exclamation mark inside it light(fluid?) now comes along with the others but no sign of the battery/oil and whatever else comes on when you turn the key.the spigot inside the ignition barrel was fine so i can rule that out and the car wont start with a jump lead so i think the battery side of things is fine plus the fact all of the power related stuff still works radio/windows etc.
Can anyone relate this to a similar problem they might of had or point me in some kind of direction 'cos its too damn cold to be poncing around for long in this weather and i need a quick fix.
thanks Rob

95cabrio
11-12-2011, 06:45 PM
the best way to get an answer in the forums is by structuring your question, a suggested format:

inform us what precisely happens when you turn the key!

what light(s) come one if any, and if the engine cranks at all. personally i would call the AA out and get them to try get it going, it may be something fundamental that is causing you problems like a faulty wire or terminal.

relay that information back here and we will do our best to assist your further.