PDA

View Full Version : First Breakdown

shabazmo
08-12-2011, 12:07 AM
I was in the centre of Farnham when the stop start kicked in and I put the gear in park to rest my brake foot. The car stopped but would not start again. Whats more the car was stuck in P. I could not even turn the ignition on to move the gear lever, so I had to call for Audi assistance while the traffic jammed up behind me. The Audi technician arrived in an RAC van and released the gear lever by pressing a button which was accessed via the compartment in front of the gear lever. Once moved, and back to P, the car started. it seemed that the car thought it was in gear, hence why the car would not start. I later received a phone call from the technician to say that there was a software upgrade for this problem and I got this done today. I have to say that the RAC Audi technician was excellent.

I have other problems with the car which is being fixed by my Audi dealer.

The MMI display judders when retracting back into its holder, so a new one has been ordered.
The Homelink garage door system stopped working after the first service
The bluetooth phone system picks up lots of noise making the Audi one of the worst systems around. It will be going back to have this assessed.
Otherwise very happy with the car and service from audi.

One last point is that my Audi dealer service department took every comment I made seriously and dealt with it without any hesitation. That is SERVICE.

m3-fast
08-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Sorry to hear about your breakdown! Good news that the RAC fella knew how to fix it quickly and at least with the softwware patch, you should be confident that it won't happen again!

That's always the concern when a fault happens, but no reason given why it happened or nothing done to fix it, that it will happen again when you least want it!!

aurora7
09-12-2011, 01:25 PM
Yikes, I don't like the sound of that - I definitely want that software update!!

Glad they sorted you so quickly. Was it Basingstoke Audi you took it back to, or another dealer/service dept?

shabazmo
11-12-2011, 08:54 PM
Yes it was, but it was the breakdown chap that told me about the software upgrade.

Architex_mA8tey
11-12-2011, 11:55 PM
Hi Shabaz - sorry to hear that you're the first A7 breakdown - as you say its how its dealt with that is important.
My car went in for trim vibration corrections (on another thread) the week before this and had 3 different software updates done - one was DAB radio and the 2 others im not sure about so I will double check. The screen on mine also juddered going back in and they changed it for a whole new screen which now seems ok

nealeb
21-12-2011, 10:34 PM
Been reading the manual for my new A6 and the gear lever release mechanism is documented there (in the chat about automatic gearboxes). They talk about it being used, for example, if the battery has gone flat so that you cannot shift out of P but need to be in N for towing. Might be worth knowing about, just in case - I would guess that as the engine and transmission are pretty well the same across these models the same would apply to the A7...

Of course, if the battery is that flat, you probably can't read the online manual and won't have the paper copy in the car:)

Architex_mA8tey
16-01-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi Shabaz - sorry to hear that you're the first A7 breakdown - as you say its how its dealt with that is important.
My car went in for trim vibration corrections (on another thread) the week before this and had 3 different software updates done - one was DAB radio and the 2 others im not sure about so I will double check. The screen on mine also juddered going back in and they changed it for a whole new screen which now seems ok

Update to the juddering screen - Audi have now advised me there seems to be a design fault with the screens as they have replaced mine twice and there is still some judder present (it varies) so they have told me that Audi in Germany are working on a new mechanism which should be ready by late January / early February and then they will change mine yet again for the new one. Suggest you push for this also Shabaz as it will continue to give you problems otherwise.