PDA

View Full Version : VW Golf GT TDI 150BHP - Turbo and Fan problems

Ade and Emma
20-05-2006, 06:18 PM
We recently purchased a VW Golf GT TDi 150 BHP 2002 on an 02 plate.

It has 47000 miles on the clock and we have recently had a VW service with diagnostics. The outcome was that the cooling fans do not work and require replacing which would cost us £600.

We then took the car to an independent garage and they said that the fans are fine and that the problem lies elsewhere, however not able to tell us where.

Since this we have begun having loss of power problems, we took it back to VW and they said it needed a new turbo which would cost £950. They said that the turbo was over-boosting causing it to shut down and go into limp home mode. However again taking it to an independent garage have been told it could be the air mass flow or the ECU instead but this is an uncertainty since their diagnostic machine could not find a fault with either.

We are not convinced that this is a turbo problem since the fault is intermittent and the turbo still works.

After having spent a lot of money on the car, we want to avoid excess spending on fixing these problems. Can you help us with any information or experiences you may have had.

Many thanks

Emma and Adrian

millymoose
24-03-2008, 10:10 AM
MY 150BHP GOLF MK4 HAD A PROBLEM WITH GOING INTO LIMP HOME MODE....MY LOCAL VW DEALER DIAGNOSED THAT THE CARS COMPUTER WAS SHUTTING DOWN DUE TO A PROBLEM WHICH COULD NOT BE PINPOINTED...TWO MONTHS LATER IT TURNED OUT I HAD A LOOSE WIRE TO THE ALTERNATOR-THIS WAS REPLACED AND NO PROBLEMS SINCE:D
(TILL I HIT A DEER-HENCE NEEDING THE NEW RADIATOR/INTERCOOLER... IF ANYONE HAS ONE CASH IS WAITING):beerchug:

Ben39uk
24-03-2008, 10:43 PM
I have just bought a 115 with power loss at 2000 revs ie limp home mode it is a well know problem and on removing the turbo it was obvious it was faulty fitting a recon cleared the problem vw main dealer price 850£

motorhead
25-03-2008, 08:22 PM
Hi i had a similar problem,ended up being coolant sensor

dazzer
25-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Hello there. Have u got climate control? Put it on auto and see if your fans come on. They should be on when in this mode. Is your temperature gauge doing weird things when driving and warming up in the mornings? Try changing the coolant temp sensor,that might help and check battery connections,make sure they are nice and tight. Try A & R Auto Services Ltd. Telephone No. Nottingham (0115) 929 6602. I found them very helpful and definiteley know what their doing. Hope u get it fixed.

Crasher
25-03-2008, 08:27 PM
Fan failure is a regular problem on the Golf 4/Bora/A3/Ovtavia/TT etc and most use the same fans, but if they have tested the fans to make sure they work, the fault may lie with the fan control unit.

On the ARL 150PD engine, poor running due to turbo failure is very common and often doesn't leave a fault code; this only happens on the ARL 150PD engine.

Rebecca
10-05-2008, 02:17 PM
If you google for "mk4 fan failure" you will get quite a lot of useful results.

Rebecca