PDA

View Full Version : Question Rex

Photoman
07-12-2011, 02:18 PM
After around 10 yrs of good motoring , bought at 59,000 mls now 184,000 mls, my A3 T Sport is just not the car I need anymore as long distances will be rare replaced by mostly urban driving . I have very little money to spend and wonder what I can expect from an A2 with about 100,000 mls on the clock .What should have been already replaced ?. What gives problems ?. Petrol or diesel ? .

spartacus 68
17-12-2011, 05:55 PM
I only have experience of 1.4 diesel (75 PS). They're relatively frugal, and the £35 road tax due to low emissions is fantastic. You shouldn't have any major bodywork issues as they're aluminium and plastic (wheel arches, wings, etc). However saying that there can be paint blisters due to poor repairs.

My wife's A2 TDI has now covered 100k. Make sure oil is changed every 10k. I use Castrol Edge 5w30, and genuine Audi filters including oil, air and pollen. Fuel filter should be done every 20k, and along with a brake fluid change.

Timing belt and auxilliary belts need to be done every 60k along with water-pump.

At this age, the suspension will be tired, so I'd consider changing the shocks, ARB bushes and drop-links. In addition - the upper mounts at the front. I did this and used Boge shocks all round which transformed the ride and handling.

Brakes - check the rear drums. Tend to be overlooked and at this mileage will definitely need changed. Up front I've used Brembo vented discs and Bosch pads, and I don't have any problems with brake squeal or brake fade.

They're great little cars. There are fixes for EGR valve mounts and door-strap 'crack' noise, so check with main Audi dealership.