PDA

View Full Version : interior lights bulbs changing on a polo 2003

cpallis
01-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Could anybody advice me on how I can dismandle :confused: the interior lights fixture in order to replace the central light bulb on a polo 2003?
A photo will be greatly appreciated as I am afraid of damaging the lining material:1zhelp: with a flat screwdriver or similar tools:zx11:.

Regards

legendamongus
02-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Is it the square one or the rectangular one?

cpallis
02-12-2011, 05:25 PM
Thanks legendamongus for the reply,
The picture above shows the fixture in my car.
Hope you can tell me how to do it!!

kenney
02-12-2011, 05:46 PM
When removing and installing components (switches, covers, trim and so on), mask off areas in which leverage tools (plastic wedge, screwdriver) are used to lever out those components using commercially available adhesive tape.t Only the lens of the interior light need be removed to replace a bulb.Removing: – Carefully lever interior light out of roof trim using a screwdriver sorry no other way is possible,i find a butter knife handy,try not to lever on the trim just pull downwards

legendamongus
03-12-2011, 12:10 AM
ok, so first, you need to remove the plastic trim behind the light. Try and get your fingers under the rear edge and pull it off, it's a bit stiff but held in wiht clips only. You won't break it.

There are two ways to remove the light itself. It's held on with clips so if you're careful you can just pull it out from the headlining, one side first then the other. It's quite easy and that's how I'd do it. The other way is to use a very small screwdriver (watchmakers or electrical or similar) to lever the lens out. If you get the screwdriver into the gap closest to the map light then it should pop off. You can then see the clips that hold the light into the headlining, and you can use a larger screwdriver to prise them back slightly to free the light.

As a reference, the first time I did it, I took the lens cover off but since then I just pull it out as in the first method. Both are equally good ways so do whichever one you want to do.

I've just seen that you want to replace the centre bulb. This is a bayonet bulb, and could probably be replaced with the light still fitted and with the lens cover removed... would be easier with the unit off the car though.

Hope this helps