PDA

View Full Version : Turbo Refurbishers ?

passing
30-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Can anyone pass on recent experience / recommendations ?

The seals have obviously gone - impressive volume of smoke out of the exhaust !
Presumably the bearing will be away too.
Other than that the turbo had been operating fine over 85k miles on my passat (ATJ).

I hope that the oil has not blocked the cat too.

Cheers
Ian

adamss24
30-11-2011, 11:59 AM
Hi Ian, i have a good condition turbocharger off a passat i am breaking, after £150 posted. I'ts off a b5 passat tdi estate with the AJM engine code, 115 Bhp and 310nm torque. Car has 130k on the clock with full service history- oil changed every 5k. There's no play in the shaft/bearings. If you don't fancy 2nd hand, then you can have yours rebuilt for about 300-350 quid, depending on the state of the impellers. Beware of cheap rebuilds, most use non genuine parts and dont last too long- often taking the engine with them. I also have the cat off the car if you're worried about blockage £40... Stop driving the car, you can experience engine runaway and that will hydrolock and bend conrods if unlucky ! If you need more details, drop me a pm or call me on 077 899 12128. Regards,
Chris

passing
06-12-2011, 10:51 PM
Hi Chris
Thanks fo rthe offer on the turbo - I am thinking towards a refurb and so hence the request for recomendations.
Have yous till got the cat and s it serviceable too ? I might be interested in that. Where are you located ?

It is defintely not driveable - the following cars couldn't see me for smoke !

Cheers
Ian

gresty
07-12-2011, 12:38 AM
Midland turbo at Nottingham. They did my turbo on my old 1.8 petrol and did a bang tidy job. Bit pricey for overhaul but was well worth it.

gresty
07-12-2011, 12:39 AM
And they did a collection and delivery service aswell

passing
07-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Midland turbo at Nottingham. They did my turbo on my old 1.8 petrol and did a bang tidy job. Bit pricey for overhaul but was well worth it.

thanks for the tip !

adamss24
07-12-2011, 03:33 AM
Hi Ian, i am based in N. London but i travel up and down the country very often...

Laurie2212
10-12-2011, 12:10 AM
Hi - Midland Turbo did my 2001 TDI turbo overhaul, although it was a sticking vanes issue - £200 all in (2 years ago now) and as stated by others a pick up and delivery service - company recommended by Crasher as well.

Regards

Laurie

Can anyone pass on recent experience / recommendations ?

The seals have obviously gone - impressive volume of smoke out of the exhaust !
Presumably the bearing will be away too.
Other than that the turbo had been operating fine over 85k miles on my passat (ATJ).

I hope that the oil has not blocked the cat too.

Cheers
Ian