PDA

View Full Version : Fireware patches/upgrades - end user or dealer task ?

VeDubDan
28-11-2011, 10:59 AM
Hey,

I've noticed a few comments here and there on VAG forum talking about software upgrades. I'm just wondering if software/firmware upgrades is something you can request from a VW dealer?

Is it possible to call them up and say "Hey, I believe theres a software upgrade for my head unit - can i book in for the update please?"

Or is it something we have can do ourselves?

Thanks team,

D..

Issac Hunt
28-11-2011, 12:48 PM
Upgrades for what? What head unit do you have? Firmware is headunit specific in most cases. A few details always help.....

Have you read up on what these FW's can give? Are you missing some functionality?

I imagine your dealer wont even know what you're talking about. Most firmware/software changes for headunits dont add anything. For some older units the newer firmware will add supoort for things like MDI, SDHC cards etc etc. As your car is new I reckon you have very little (if anything) to gain. You can apply them yourself to most headunits if you must.

VeDubDan
28-11-2011, 01:15 PM
yes - the newer firmware for my headunit supports the full postcode and vcard address.

I want/need that functionality. Also it seems it support voice activated dialing

Issac Hunt
28-11-2011, 02:09 PM
WHAT HEADUINT HAVE YOU GOT? AND HOW OLD IS IT?

I cant post you a link to anything until you tell us what you have.

What functionality do you want to gain?

Voice dialling should be no problem if you have the OEM BT kit installed.

VeDubDan
28-11-2011, 02:15 PM
WHAT HEADUINT HAVE YOU GOT? AND HOW OLD IS IT?

I cant post you a link to anything until you tell us what you have.

What functionality do you want to gain?

Voice dialling should be no problem if you have the OEM BT kit installed.

WHOA! No need to shout bro! :biglaugh:

I have the RNS315 - The car is 6 month.

I hoping to gain full postcode search - vcard integration - and voice dialling.

Thanks Mr Shouty Pants

Dan