PDA

View Full Version : Please Help Advice on a sporting Diesal Audi - Which one should i go for?

iworld
27-11-2011, 10:26 PM
I am moving up from a Mk4 Golf Tdi 150 - i was thinking of moving up to a B7 Audi A4 as it is within the price range - plus it looks nice.
I like a car that is better than the Mk4 Golf Tdi 150 - i am confused as to which model should i go for and the trim level

I am considering the A4 TDi 140 S-line - does the S-line handle significantly better than the SE model

The A4 Tsi 140 Quattro is another consideration - but i was warned about heavy fuel bills and maintenance costs

The other model in consideration is the A4 Tdi 170 S-Line

What are your thoughts?

Issac Hunt
28-11-2011, 08:53 AM
I prefer the diesel due to the MPG but the best way is for you to drive them and see what you think.

None 'handle' brilliantly. It's not a sports car. It's a large ish family saloon car so don't expect miracles. Drive a few and see what you prefer.

Puresilk
19-12-2011, 12:44 AM
I have 2.0 tdi 140 s line and can't fault it, remapped it to 170 bhp and it's been awesome. But no leathers or xenons and now I feel it.

If I could go back I would have got a 2.0 tdi Quattro 170 s line with leather and xenon lights as standard. Quattro for handling and snow and 170 bhp I would remap to 200 bhp for around £300.

The 140 petrol Quattro I can't comment on but diesel will save you money if you clock up miles.

discobarry
20-12-2011, 07:39 PM
Mmmmm i have the 170 A4 Avant Quattro with xenons etc and so far MPG is poor, i barely get 35 and i don't drive it harsh, it's worse on motorways but i think it's the motor and not a general reflection on them, the car otherwise is brilliant i love it but the MPG issue is a pain in the *** especially when i'm driving 2400miles in 3weeks!

Puresilk
20-12-2011, 11:29 PM
I think quite a few on here with the 170 s line have fuel economy issues it's probably just the way they are but I still wish I had got one to begin with !

daled
21-12-2011, 02:02 PM
I have a 57 plate 2.0TDI S Line quattro and absolutely love it. I new mpg wouldn't be grate but I regularly get approx 500 miles to a tank which equates to about 38 mpg (which I don't think is too bad)

If you go this route though make sure you check whether the injectors have been replaced by Audi UK (or a dealer) under their workshop action 23k1).

Read the sticky at the top of this B7 specific forum. That issue aside this is a great car all round

20vcqdriver
21-12-2011, 02:43 PM
Forget the 2.0, go for the 3TDi, though suggest you get a tiptronic Auto as the manual box ratios are too short for the first 4 gears then a decent tall 38mph/1000rpm in 6th.
I get 33 to 41mpg out of mine depending on journey, though it's not a town car as mpg drops into the 20's if stuck in stop start traffic for miles on end. But the 333 lb/ft torque is addictive and can be chipped to 260bhp and 400Lb/ft :) which is on the cards for mine next year...
Sline suspension is firmer, but its personal preference, I have always had cars with firm suspension and hate driving anything that is soft. Also SLine usually come with the 18" alloys and on the 3TDi tyres tend to be 245/40/18, so no lack of grip.

Thon
21-12-2011, 10:13 PM
I have just bought a 3.0 TDI SE Quattro Avant with 50K on the clock after much deliberation Vs the various 2.0 TDI options. I think it was the monster torque that made the difference after driving Passat TDI Sport's for the last 60K miles. Standard in every way, with manual 6 speed, 16"s and leather, it's extremely comfy and can hustle, but could scarcely be described as agile (but a bit better than the Passat) and is reasonably stiffly suspended. Economy has yet to be experienced but such a relaxed motor it feels like it will outlast the space shuttle. I don't think i've ever been so pleased with a car purchase :-D