PDA

View Full Version : Question Steering linkage has come apart.

syd
25-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Hello everyone this is my first post, and i am after some advice.
I have a new (4 weeks) 2.0 Tfsi 211 psi Black Edition Avant that has done 1500 miles.
When i first had it, i had a clicking noise coming from the dash. My dealership had it in and discovered a fault in a vent motor, repair meant removing the heater matrix to gain access.
I have had the car back about a week, today i was pulling off from a car park when the steeriing suddenly "broke" i.e the steering wheel would just spin without any effect on the wheels.
Dealership sent technician out who discovered that the steering linkage had come apart in the footwell "bloody hell" that could have happened when i was doing 80 on the M5.
The tech assured me that they had not removed the column when they did the vent motor repair; but having thought about it now, they must have done it would have been in the way.
He did admit that this could have happened at any time.
Now i consider this a potentially life threatening fault, so how would you suggest i take this further.
this has dented my confidence in the car and i am very reluctant to have it back unless some serious testing is done to find out how it happened.
Any advice would be gratefully received.
Brian

mrmarc
26-11-2011, 12:04 PM
Hi
First i'd think myself a very lucky man it did not happen at motorway speeds second go buy a lottery ticket and third seek some legal advice.

Regards

John140
26-11-2011, 04:34 PM
Sounds awfully suspicious considering it followed a major deep-strip of the dashboard .

ScottyUK
26-11-2011, 06:25 PM
Audi Customers Services asap!

syd
27-11-2011, 05:11 PM
thanks for the replies guys, ive had a chance to think about this a bit more and have decided that i am not having the car back. until i have had an independant safety report carried out. i have absolutely no confidence left in my local dealership.
If, as the mastertech insists, he did not remove the steering column; this leaves a serious question mark over the safety of all cars coming from the factory. (safety recall anyone?)
I will be in contact with Audi Customer Services first thing tomorrow.
mrmarc do you really think i have any legal redress on this?
Thanks again

jakerade
27-11-2011, 07:57 PM
thats defo a case for audi customer services - £1000 of accessories is what you want (they will probably start at £100)

grimupnorth
27-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Reject the car.

jakerade
28-11-2011, 06:51 AM
just reading this again, it would almost be better that the dealer admitted fault as at least you could put it down to a tech failing to do a job properly and come to an agreement and get someone else to check it as you suggest.

As others say, if they dont admit fault then reject the car as what else could be wrong!!

Bratty
28-11-2011, 08:39 AM
just reading this again, it would almost be better that the dealer admitted fault as at least you could put it down to a tech failing to do a job properly and come to an agreement and get someone else to check it as you suggest.

As others say, if they dont admit fault then reject the car as what else could be wrong!!

I agree with jakerade, it is most likely down to the dealership that did your work, FFS!!?!! They were working IN? the area!!! and the immediate reaction of the monkey that comes on scene is going to be denial!! (Its a primeval protection thing!)

Stop mincing around with apportioning blame, go direct to the AUDI franchise (dealership that did the work and speak ONLY! with one of the Company Directors!! NOBODY!!UNDER!! Do Not under any Circumstances deal with a Franchise Manager!!!!!!!) Put the case to them and let them come up with an offer!

Your situation is "A SERIOUS SAFETY ONE" but you have to allow the franchise (dealership) to sort it out! Otherwise you will be wasting your life while audi customer services and the franchise battle out how little they can get away with!

Dunk

jakerade
28-11-2011, 08:54 AM
Have a look at this thread - dashboard change on an A5 - steering column is still in place

http://www.a5oc.com/forums/a5-s5-topics/16894-a5-interior-swap-pics.html#post174701

Bratty
28-11-2011, 03:23 PM
It is academic (but still "for the safety of other owners" relevant) wether it was the skilled mechanic at the <removed>or the worker on the Factory line who let this "potentially fatal" mistake happen! The <removed> (Franchise) should be fully on your side, and be able to champion your cause dealing with AUDI (or themselves?) on your behalf and getting to the bottom of it:confused:. Any reluctance to see the seriousness of the situation should be a warning sign!!

Very worrying situation though!!

Good Luck

Dunk

jakerade
28-11-2011, 03:29 PM
Agreed - and that has really annoyed me with the running problems on my car.

The dealership seem to think they can take forever doing things and Audi UK customer services seem to mince around just backing the dealer up and offering a free tank of fuel for months of inconvienence.

Bratty
28-11-2011, 06:00 PM
The AUDI franchise dealership that I dealt with (as I was told by AUDI Customer Services and the dealership themselves!) had the Independant ability to award compensation!!?!! AUDI Customer services could ONLY act as mediators, advising (sometimes strongly) that an extra gesture was in order! When it came to the crunch AUDI CS´s final course of action was that they would take the sale of the Franchise, which did not help my situation!

With this issue "EXTREME SAFETY IMPLICATIONS!" I personally would only be dealing with the franchise company director!´

Why?

1. He needs to know! and it will get an immediate result!
2. Dealing with the sales manager etc. will only be wasting your time and will increase your stress levels!
3. Dealing with AUDI CS will only be wasting your time and will increase you stress levels! (although you need to inform them! Irrespective of what happens).

Top Tip! If you have to mediate through an AUDI Personal Assistant (to the Company Director) then once you have their e-mail address just transpose the name of the director in place of the PA´s name and you will be able to correspond DIRECTLY :):):) (For A While!!!)

Dunk

syd
30-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Thanks again for all your replies, here is a quick update.
The dealers service manager has now admitted that there mastertech "might have" loosened the clamp bolt (read did undo it). They have changed the part with the clamp on it and the service manager assures me that there is no way that, when properly fitted, that this joint can come apart.
The dealership are pushing for me to have the car back but i have spoken to Audi fleet manager who is prepared to back me in getting the car replaced, but as its contract hire the finance company have to pursue this.
I am still reluctant to have it back as my wife is adamant that she will not drive it (bang goes shared pub drives).
Do you think i should relent but try to negotiate free servicing for three years?
Brian

jakerade
30-11-2011, 09:48 PM
Ok - so a 15000miles pa service contract with tyres is about 45 quid a month plus vat. This gives conti tyres from national express and can be added several weeks after delivery as the dealership forgot to add mine. Its run through audi finance

I would push for one of these if you want to keep the car and i dont think it would be an unreasonable request

I have been told that if you reject the car to finance company you are generally in a much stronger position. By the time they have built you another one it will be the facelift model......

ScottyUK
30-11-2011, 10:51 PM
If my wife genuinelly wouldn't drive it then I'd reject it.

If I said to her you can buy a couple of £k's worth of clothes and she said yes then I'd be pushing for that value.

jakerade
30-11-2011, 11:37 PM
i dont think she will want a couple of grands worth of Audi jackets and umbrellas

syd
12-12-2011, 10:03 PM
Thanks again for all the replies, and i apologise for not being around for a week or so.

I have filled out a "vehicle defect report" on VOSA website.(have a friend works there that recommended this). They have replied to say they will investigate.
Last Thurday i agreed that i would have the car back, on condition that they provided 3 years servicing and tyres (thanks jakerade).
Was told they would consider it and get back to me, but would like to keep the car till Tuesday (tomorrow) to "have another good look at it"??? which again is a bit of a worry when i was assured the car was "faultless". I can only assume that either Audi themselves or perhaps VOSA might be the ones having a look.
Anyway no-one has contacted me to agree any terms, so will just have to keep the A5 for a bit longer.

Bratty
12-12-2011, 10:11 PM
Thanks again for all the replies, and i apologise for not being around for a week or so.

I have filled out a "vehicle defect report" on VOSA website.(have a friend works there that recommended this). They have replied to say they will investigate.
Last Thurday i agreed that i would have the car back, on condition that they provided 3 years servicing and tyres (thanks jakerade).
Was told they would consider it and get back to me, but would like to keep the car till Tuesday (tomorrow) to "have another good look at it"??? which again is a bit of a worry when i was assured the car was "faultless". I can only assume that either Audi themselves or perhaps VOSA might be the ones having a look.
Anyway no-one has contacted me to agree any terms, so will just have to keep the A5 for a bit longer.

Well Done Syd! You should (And your Wife) be confident that "THIS ISSUE!!" is well and truely put to bed! Perhaps a simple mistake by a workshop but with major implications!

Good Luck when you finally get your car back (and enjoy it!)

Dunk