PDA

View Full Version : Question 2006 A4 Egr Valve Internal Cog

barachello
25-11-2011, 10:47 AM
A friend of mine is having a problem with his egr valve, basically one of the plastic cogs inside the plastic cover has stripped a few teeth.

Having read a few threads online, I see this is quite a common problem, and I was just wondring if anyone who has had the same problem has been able to just replace the cogs ?

Thanks

Lambretta
29-11-2011, 12:53 AM
You could try RS components they tend to do a lot of that stuff, or a toy / clock parts supplier.
Mine wen to but i just bought another from Ebay. or maybe turn it round to avoid missing teeth.
good look..

patrickhorton
30-11-2011, 08:35 PM
I had same thing too and bought second hand EGR from Germany via Ebay for £80. Once I had fitted the replacement one, I stripped the old one completely to see if the cog could be replaced (I assume like mine it is always the large semicircular cog which strips near its starting point). There is no way you can get this cog off the shaft without destroying it. For £80 it is not worth the many hours it would take to try and fabricate a repair to the cog.

Patrick

finnsen
18-02-2013, 12:00 AM
Hi,

Did you manage to find a spare cog wheel. I have a Golf 2004 2.0 Fsi and exactly the same problem :(
It feels kind of silly to replace the whole EGR unit due to a single cog missing 2 teeth.

picture:

NHN
18-02-2013, 02:22 AM
Just fit a new unit, as already stated, the hours making one or plastic welding & shaping it to fit, wouldnt be worth it.