PDA

View Full Version : Newbie here - Advice welcome

chief2221
22-07-2007, 10:48 PM
Hi guys, having never owned a VW, I am considering buying a 2004 Bora 130 TD auto. The car is up for 7499 and has one owner. My concern is that it now has 42000 miles and was last serviced at 16000. I am unsure of the schedules on these but it must have missed 1 if not 2 services. Is this cause for concern. The car will be used for commuting about 70 miles a day. Also, what mpg should I get (mostly motorway) Advice/thoughts wecome.

Loofer
22-07-2007, 11:10 PM
Hi guys, having never owned a VW, I am considering buying a 2004 Bora 130 TD auto. The car is up for 7499 and has one owner. My concern is that it now has 42000 miles and was last serviced at 16000. I am unsure of the schedules on these but it must have missed 1 if not 2 services. Is this cause for concern. The car will be used for commuting about 70 miles a day. Also, what mpg should I get (mostly motorway) Advice/thoughts wecome.

Hi chief and welcome to the forum. How do you know about the services that have/not been carried out? Is this by looking at the service schedule or what the actual seller has told you. Sometimes owners tend to forget to get the book stamped. You can get this checked and stamped if the owner knows where it was done. Some owners tend to do oil changes themselves (as you will find many members here) but they also keep the reciepts to show. It might just be a case that the service just can't be confrimed. Though it might be wise to be a little doubtful.

If the car hasnt had a service for 26,000 then personally I would walk away. The oil is engine's lifeblood and these VW PD engines (like many others) need regular quality oil changes otherwise it results in more wear and tear and shortens the life of the engine.

As for economy. I drive a VW Bora TDi 115 and do a 76 mile round trip each day majority of it on motorway. Bearing in mind mine is a manual and it has been remapped for better performance/efficiency I get average 60mpg / 630 miles from 47 litres. I wouldnt expect yours to be far off.

Hope that helps

chief2221
22-07-2007, 11:17 PM
Thanks eeezzup. I saw the car advertised on Car Giant, rang them and they confirmed that only 1 service had been carried out. I have to say I am tempted as you don't find many fairly low mileage 130 autos about although not so sure now!!