PDA

View Full Version : 3.0TDi Quattro - new discs and pads needed - OEM or upgrade?

jdp1962
21-11-2011, 08:12 PM
Hello,

I'm looking to renew my discs and pads all round. The car has done 67,000 miles from new in 2007, I guess it's had new pads at some stage before I got it, but as far as I can tell, the discs are the originals.

I don't want to fit bigger brakes, but would quilte like to fit better ones, if that makes sense (the 3.0TDI is a heavy car, and some times, it feels like the OEM set up isn't quite up to the job). I also don't want to have my insurance company declare it a mod, and increase my premium.

I woudn't be fitting them myself, for a very important reason - I want them to work! I'll be getting my local indie - Sanspeed in Bexleyheath - to fit them. I am sure they will offer some advice on which manufacturers to consider, but I'd like to get some suggestions here first, from people who have done this already. As far as I can tell, the sized are 320mm front, 288mm at the back.

Any information welcome.

Thanks

jdp1962
22-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Bump! Anyone?

s-express
22-11-2011, 09:14 PM
I'm in the same situation, brakes aren't great (3.0 tdi also). I do all my own mech stuff tho. I'm going for good quality discs (such as brembo) and the same with pads - will probably go for Mintex M1144's as they offer great bite, but they do generate quite a bit of brake dust. Also, change brake fluid, stick with dot 4, dot 5 is a waste of time on anything but a track car and dot 4 is less hydroscopic so doesn't need changing often.

jdp1962
22-11-2011, 09:33 PM
I'm in the same situation, brakes aren't great (3.0 tdi also). I do all my own mech stuff tho. I'm going for good quality discs (such as brembo) and the same with pads - will probably go for Mintex M1144's as they offer great bite, but they do generate quite a bit of brake dust. Also, change brake fluid, stick with dot 4, dot 5 is a waste of time on anything but a track car and dot 4 is less hydroscopic so doesn't need changing often.

Thanks. I had the brake fluid changed about six months ago.

Puresilk
13-12-2011, 02:14 AM
I bought a set of rear Bosch pads from fleabay for £16 inc delivery, had them fitted and no problems so far!

Sinspeed
15-12-2011, 01:46 AM
I prefer the Red Stuff EBC pads with drilled & grooved discs and if you want to go that little bit further.. stainless braided brake hoses but not a necessity on a 4yr old car. They produce far less brake dust so your alloys will like them ;) but I must admit, you do have to give them a minute to warm up so first thing in the morning when you do begin driving, make a habit of just tapping the brakes now and again to warm the pads up.. we used them on our 500hp race car and didn't upgrade to 8pot brembo's until we hit 750hp! :p

adamss24
15-12-2011, 02:05 AM
Mintex, hawk or ferodo ds2500 if you find them for reasonable money...

Eshrules
15-12-2011, 03:44 PM
Forget the EBC (IMHO) especially the redstuff - they should be limited to track days and supercars only, the warm up that's needed on them to be effective is ridiculous.

I ran green stuff on the golf for 12 months and I hated the dust that came off them.

Ferodo's come very well reviewed

jdp1962
17-12-2011, 11:09 AM
New brakes will have to wait, now. I spent the money on a new television instead.