PDA

View Full Version : How To 2.3 cabrio cambelt change

Worf
18-11-2011, 01:50 AM
I need to change the cambelt on my 1993 2.3 cabrio (5 cyl na). Looks reasonably straightforward, but there doesnt appear to be enough in front of the crankshaft pulley to remove it, or am I missing something? :confused:
Any help greatly appreciated.

95cabrio
18-11-2011, 09:08 PM
enough what? your question is quite vague. remove cover, pull round to TDC and lock, remove pre-tensioner, replace belt, fit pre-tensioner, tighten and check, remove whatever you have used to lock TDC, replace cover.

Worf
18-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Sorry! I mean enough space. Do I need to remove the front bumper and bonnet slam panel, or is there enough room to pull the crankshaft pulley off the end of the crankshaft so I can get the belt off. Workshop maunal is quite vague.
Thanks

95cabrio
19-11-2011, 12:27 AM
i should have guessed space is what you meant :) very tricky, im lucky i have the 2.6 ABC which is right on the front so easier for me.

yes you will need to remove some more items to get at it, most notably the radiator so try and tie it all in with a full service, drop all fluids/oils out and whilst your there just say **** it and do head gasket as well. if all done well you will see your engine to go to at least 300k workshop manual is quite vague, try and get an audi elsawin knock off workshop manual from ebay for £4 its worth it!

Worf
19-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Rad is to the side with this engine, so isnt in the way, but there is only about 2 inches between crank pulley and crossbeam behind bumper (or whatever it is called). Seems a bit strange they didnt give quite enough room?

scotty33
20-11-2011, 10:35 PM
Not too sure with the B4 shape, generally advice is to remove the bumper and crossmember for a 5 cyl timing belt job, but most are the older shape.. Suggest you pull the grille insert out of the bumper and undo bottom pulley bolt, see if there is enough room to do the job without the stripdown, nothing ventured, nothing gained?